[nnasnet] rarities

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:37:35 -0500

Congrats to Mary and Porter Kier on their Baltimore oriole. Next to Joanne
Chewning's continuing male painted bunting there is no bird I'd rather have
in the yard.

This spell of strong weather may send some interesting birds our way. Here
is Ned Brinkley's post on the subject yesterday to the VA-Bird list server:

"Yesterday and today, there have been six cackling geese at Eyrehall, south
of Eastville, in a large flock of Canada geese. To my knowledge, this is
the largest number of cackling geese thus far documented in this county.
there have also been several hybrid geese, including up to six Canada x
Snow, in the county in recent weeks. One of those is at Eyrehall currently.
If history is any guide, there should be an influx of the regular species
of geese, and more, in the days following the blizzard in the Northeast,
where heavy snowfall will make foraging difficult for geese. This would be
an ideal opportunity to study goose flocks carefully for Barnacle,
Pink-footed, and other goose species that are rare but increasingly regular
in states just to our north. Some fascinating hybrid combinations have also
been reported in recent winters just to our north, and ideally such birds
could be documented extensively with photograph. As always, in bad weather,
safety comes first, even before a state first.

Ned Brinkley, Cape Charles, Virginia"

Let's take Ned's advice and pay close attention to our local geese, ducks,
etc. in hopes of picking out something special. Northampton County is just
a few miles away, as the goose flies.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck