[nnasnet] late hummers and other bird news

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 18:31:04 -0400

Hi, all,

I've been too busy to bird much lately (which is too busy by half!) but even
so I've seen lots of birds passing through as fall migration is at its peak.
Kestrels are back in good numbers and I'm fairly sure I had a savannah
sparrow yesterday.

Sylvia and I thought all of our hummingbirds had left, and they probably
have, but we've got one at the feeder as I write this, likely a straggler
from farther north passing through and taking advantage of the free food.
There is lots of chatter on the Va-bird listserve about late dates for
ruby-throateds and it's getting pretty late but it's not unheard of to see
them up to the end of the month. To keep track of that, I'm asking all of
you to report any r-t hummers you see from now on, which will allow us to
determine the last seen bird in the area, at least among those on this list.
Keep a feeder out and keep the nectar fresh for the next few weeks if you
can.

While I'm here, let me remind you that there will be an open house at
Dameron Marsh (10am bird walk) and Hughlett Pointe (1pm) this Saturday,
October 8, as part of the state preserve system's 25th anniversary
celebration. The weather forecast looks great, so plan to join Rebecca
Wilson and others from DCR for a beautiful autumn day in our wonderful local
preserves.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck