[nnasnet] VIMS 75th Anniversary-program on Chesapeake Bay

  • From: Margaret Gerdts <maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, VA Master Naturalist Northern Neck Chapter <nnmnemail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:00:44 -0500

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:01:08 -0500
From: susan@xxxxxxxx

FOR THE BEST VIEW, PLEASE CLICK HERE:
e-Tidings January 2015

VIMS e-Tidings

Dear Margaret,

Happy New Year!

This is a special year for VIMS, as it marks our 75th anniversary!  We'll be
celebrating throughout the year with anniversary-themed public lectures and
special events. Check out this issue of e-Tidings for events this month, and
register to attend while space is available.

I look foward to seeing you soon!

Susan Maples-Luellen
Director of Outreach

Support VIMS' research and outreach programs.

Make a Contribution
Quick Links
About VIMS
News and Events

Public Programs

VIMS Anniversary Microsite

Visit our anniversary microsite for videos, an interactive timeline, historical
photos, and much more!

Steinberg receives Virginia Outstanding Faculty Award

Professor Deborah Steinberg of VIMS has been selected as one of the
Commonwealth's outstanding faculty members by the State Council of Higher
Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
Steinberg, the CSX Professor of Marine Science in W&M's School of Marine
Science at VIMS, was one of 13 faculty members from Virginia's public and
private colleges and universities honored with a 2015 SCHEV Outstanding Faculty
Award.  Read more..

Stay in the loop

VIMS begins 75th anniversary celebration

The Virginia Institute of Marine Science begins a yearlong celebration of its
75th anniversary this month, with the launch of a special multimedia website
and the first of its monthly series of anniversary-themed public lectures for
2015.  Read more...

Discovery Lab - Gliders
Tuesday, January 20, 6-8PM

  Bring the entire family to this hands-on Discovery Lab! Come learn about the
technologies currently being used to explore our ocean. Test your engineering
skills by building and operating your own ROV, and explore the concept of
density and how it relates to a glider's movement.  Registration required due
to limited space. Register here or call 804-684-7878.

January After Hours: Chesapeake Bay: Then, Now, and Next
Thursday, January 22, 7PM

  Join us as Professor Carl Hershner kicks-off VIMS' 75th anniversary
celebration with an overview of Chesapeake Bay and its watershed, exploring the
factors that have precipitated the long decline in Bay health, the status of
current restoration efforts, and the challenges that face the Bay and its
marine life in the coming decades. No charge.  Register online or call
804-684-7061. Can't be here in person? Join the webinar.

Artwork Contest for
VIMS Marine Science Day 2015

Calling all artists - young and old!  Design the artwork for VIMS Marine
Science Day 2015. This year's theme is VIMS' 75th Anniversary, and the number
"75" or "75th" must be included in the artwork. Prizes will be awarded in two
categories: K-8th grade and Adults (9th grade and older). Entries must be
received by March 9th. Click here for details and entry information.

Outreach Volunteers Needed!

Volunteering at VIMS is a great way to stay informed on complex issues of
societal importance while sharing cutting-edge marine research and new
technologies with public audiences of all ages through guided campus tours,
educational programs, and exhibits. Click here for more information or call
804-684-7846.

Forward email

This email was sent to maggieurbanna@xxxxxxxxxxx by susan@xxxxxxxx  |    Update
Profile/Email Address | Rapid removal with SafeUnsubscribe™  |  Privacy Policy.

Virginia Institute of Marine Science | 1375 Greate Rd | PO Box 1346 |
Gloucester Point | VA | 23062