[nnasnet] Summer birds and nests

  • From: "joandboys" <joandboys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nnasnet" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:15:21 GMT

Hi,
     During a couple of late-June hikes at the RRVWR, Hutchinson and Wilna
units, I was happy to see my first female scarlet tanager sitting on a high
branch near her nest, along with lots of red-wings, field sparrows and a very
active blue-gray gnatcatcher...I hovered on the Magruder Loop for 20 minutes,
getting bit by deer flies and listening to the incomparable song of a wood
thrush - I've never seen one. "Through echoing timber thrush doth wrench and
ring - it strikes like lightning to hear him sing." (Rupert Brooke, I think).
     At Wilna, I had good long views of a male and then a female summer tanager
- he was gobbling flying insects and she was eating berries, along with a male
orchard oriole. Also lots of indigo buntings, a yellow-breasted chat and an
Eastern meadowlark. Here at home, the female bluebird in our back field is
sitting on 4 eggs, her second brood, and a Carolina wren laid 4 eggs in a
hanging spider plant, forgetting to build her nest first! She has brought in a
few dried pieces of grass after the fact - that surprised me, since the other
wrens' nests I've seen are elaborate domes.

 Joanne C, Wicomico Church