[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of KCGC/HQ Bluebird trail 8/17/2015

  • From: Tom Teeples <tomteeples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNASHotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 10:59:07 -0400

KCGC is the King Carter Golf Course, located south of Kilmarnock just off
Irvington Road. HQ is Hills Quarter, the community associated with the
golf course. NNAS is the Northern Neck Audubon Society.

There is a pair of bluebirds that habitually attack/dive bomb the monitors
on this trail. When the pair have eggs or young, and you check their
nesting box, they swoop in arcs with a chattering noise. The noise is to
further scare you, if the near misses to your head don't do the job. This
pair of parents have occupied nests on Old Field circle, the box at the
entrance of St. Johns and now they own the box at #7 tee in Wellford's back
yard. This is the last remaining active box for this season. I am glad to
see that this dedicated pair survived our harsh winter. A lot of bluebirds
perished this past winter. Experts are calling this breeding season a
crash. For instance, we have fledged almost 300 young in our best season.
This year, we will not reach 100. But bluebird trails, such as ours, are
being given credit for helping replenish the bluebird population. Just
wait til next year.

Here are our details:
Young: 3.
Fledges this week: 3.
Bluebirds fledged for the season: 85.
Chickadees fledged for the season: 15.
Tufted titmouse fledged for the season: 3.

--
Tom Teeples
132 Lancaster Dr. #105