[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of KCGC/HQ Bluebird Trail, June 21, 2011

  • From: "Teeps" <tandpteeps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NNASHotline" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:43:33 -0400

I have found that bluebirders as a whole are the most giving, loving,
sensitive and caring segment of the human population in America. Of all of
the environmental groups, bluebirders are the most proactive group as
nearly 100% of them actually go out and help their target species
themselves instead of just writing a check once a year and sending it to a
distant mailbox.
- Keith Kridler, writing about Dave Magness of Jenna Bird, 2005

 KCGC is the King Carter Golf Course, located just south of Kilmarnock off
of Irvington Road.  HQ is the Hills Quarter community associated with the
golf course.

The trail monitoring was rained out on Monday.  No complaints, here.  We
loved the rain.  The monitoring today was performed by Mac and Tom.
Earline is on injured reserve.  Hope she is back quickly.

  Trail monitors end up wearing many different hats.  Sometimes as a
veterinarian, referee, secretary or statistician.  But the one hat we would
like to avoid is as a detective.  This week, 4 eggs disappeared from one
box and this is a complete mystery.  All guards are in place.  It does not
appear that there are any aids useful to snakes.  We have called in CSI to
investigate.

The second brood wave is picking up steam.  There are 10 boxes with eggs, 6
boxes with very young babies, and 4 more completed nests with no eggs, yet.
And the box that was the earliest to start the season has just fledged it's
second brood.  We'll be looking for a third brood here.  Again, there were
some boxes where the female was on the nest and we did not get an egg count
for these.

Here is a summary of where we stand:
Last week, 35+ eggs; this week, 30+ eggs.
Last week,  8 young; this week, 20 young.
Last week, 3  fledged; this week, 5 fledged.
Total fledged for the season:  122 .

 More later........Tom