[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of KCGC/HQ Bluebird Trail, July 18, 2011

  • From: "Teeps" <tandpteeps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NNASHotline" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:16:05 -0400

        Bluebirds not only accept the help of humans, they absolutely need
it.
        - Steve Grooms and Dick Peterson, Bluebirds, 1991

> KCGC is the King Carter Golf Course, located just south of Kilmarnock off
> of Irvington Road. HQ is the Hills Quarter community associated with the
> golf course.
Next week's report will be delayed.  I will be out of town but the BB trail
will be checked by Earline and Mac.  I will report results when I get back.
The site of the male BB dive bombing last week now has 5 eggs in the nest.
These are into incubation as we speak.  There were 4 boxes that fledged
this week and there are 15 boxes with young.  Not many eggs; it is getting
late in the season.  Another mystery as 4 young disappeared from a nesting
box.  A snake predator is the most likely since there is a grandfather of a
poke weed plant growing nearby.  We must be better stewards at keeping
tall plants cleared around the nest box locations.  Lesson learned.
> Here is a summary of where we stand:
> Last week, 32+ eggs; this week, 9 eggs.
> Last week, 44 young; this week, 56 young.
> Last week, 8 fledged; this week, 16 fledged.
> Total fledged for the season: 159.
> There are 65 eggs/babes in the pipeline.
Total fledged last year:  273.