[nnasnet] NNAS Monitoring of Bluebird Trail at HQ/KCGC 4/21/2014

  • From: Tom Teeples <tomteeples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NNAS Hotline <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Teeples <tomteeples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:51:01 -0400

KCGC is the King Carter Golf Course, located south of Kilmarnock just off
Irvington Road.  HQ is Hills Quarter, the community associated with the
golf course.  NNAS is the Northern Neck Audubon Society.

Still looking good.  Five is a very popular number for clutches of eggs.
 We have 16 boxes with 5 eggs inside.  We had two partial nests, 20 boxes
with eggs, 2 completed nests with no eggs and THE FIRST BABIES OF THE YEAR!
 The box with young has 5 at about 4 days old.  This also happens to be the
box owned by the dive bombing parents; both parents dive at us and threaten
us as we check the box.  We have a total of 96 eggs on the trail with
females on the nest at 4 locations, thus preventing an accurate total count
of eggs.

In the 'other' category, we have 3 boxes with chickadee nests.  In two of
the boxes, the female was on the nest, so no complete egg count is
available.  The Tree Swallows are back at the gourds, but no nesting
activity, yet..........Tom

--
Tom Teeples
132 Lancaster Dr. #105