[nnasnet] Eagle Behavior?

  • From: Jami Borek <jamiborek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 08:12:38 -0400

We went down to see the Great Horned Owl nest (many thanks for the
information!) and on the way back, we saw three eagles in the field across
from the intersection of 693 and 606 - all the same size, but from the
coloring it was clear that one was a full adult and two were juveniles (my
husband thinks he saw a third juvenile also, but we're not certain).  They
were hanging out together, though the adult didn't seem entirely happy
about it - at one point, he/she flew directly into one of the juveniles who
was sitting on a low branch, forcing it to fly off to another.  There
seemed to be some dead prey in the grass and at separate times, the adult
and at least one of the juveniles were eating at it.  Finally they all flew
off, the adult leading.  We wondered what was going on -- were these early
first year fledglings learning to hunt or some such?  Older juveniles that
were still hanging around with a parent?
Thanks!  Jami Borek