[nnasnet] Dameron Marsh this evening

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:51:06 -0400

I visited the observation platform at Dameron this evening in hopes of
finding some of the swallows Tom Teeples found there yesterday. No such
luck but I'm glad I went anyway. There was a great egret out in the marsh,
a great horned owl in the green "island" and hundreds of gulls along with
some terns, gannets and scoters. Best birds were a small flock of mixed
sparrows next to the platform that responded to my pishing. 5 song
sparrows, 2 swamp sparrows, a white-throated and a juvenile white-crowned
sparrow, a species I see locally only every third year or so. Amazingly for
this time of year, I saw no myrtle warblers at all.

On my drive back to the house I noticed a female barn owl flying over the
bean field next to Shiloh School and was able to watch it quartering low
over the crop, making its way slowly toward the southeast until it was
obscured by trees along the bank of Dividing Creek. This was only the
second time I've seen one of these birds in the county and the first time
in daylight, quickly fading though it was at 5:55 PM.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck