[nnasnet] Bush Mill Natue Trail

  • From: "Bill Gimpel" <nhfishhook1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 09:56:53 -0500

Last Monday my wife and I walked the Bush Mill nature trail.  We met Frank,
Paula and the gang coming out. I asked what they had seen.  I was surprised at
the report of an Osprey.  We walked the loop and the blue trail to the end.
Later at the Lancaster Tavern we met the gang again...they were about done with
their lunch as we came in.  I did report that we also saw the osprey, the
immature eagle and said I thought we had seen birds they had not.  Our list
included a pileated woodpecker, red-bellied woodpecker, yellow-bellied
sapsucker, great blue heron, Carolina chickadee, turkey vulture, yellow-rumped
warbler, lots of robins and a mystery bird...my reason for this post!

At the Tavern I said I had seen an Eastern Kingbird.  Frank said that was late
and I said yes...how about the osprey.

This morning, my daughter scolded me for not posting sooner.  So now I'm trying
not to "cry wolf."

The "kingbird"  in question flew toward me as I was on the longer bridge over
the marsh / water area toward the end of the blue trail. It landed in one of
the bayberry shrubs not more than fifteen feet away.  It perched in an upright
position with its back toward me.  I saw the white fringe on the tail and said,
"My God, a kingbird."  I know they should be long gone.  If it was not a
kingbird - what could it have been.  The tail was not longer than the body.
The white fringe on the tip of the tail was ragged...not clean and crisp like I
think of a EAKI, but distinct.  Its back was very dark, it perched in an
upright position.  I think I got at least  a 10-15 second look.

I've ruled out catbird, mockingbird, and shrike.  It was not a sissor-tail.  My
daughter said they would have run through the brush to get another look!  So,
I'm probably wrong.  We are back in Maryland and will not be down for another
few weeks - or I'd go back to try again.

I post in part to perhaps correct my report and suggest that if anyone is on
that trail in the next week or so to keep an eye out for what would be a good
bird.

If anyone has a suggestion- I'm all ears!

Bill Gimpel