[nnasnet] Balls Neck birds

  • From: Tom Saunders <birdnerd53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 17:46:43 -0400

A walk along Shiloh School Road this morning was more productive than I
expected. Despite the breezy conditions I ended up with seven warbler
species: ovenbird, black and white, prairie, yellow-rumped, common
yellowthroat, worm-eating and yellow. Sparrows included white-throated
(singing up a storm!), song, savannah, field, chipping and towhee. Throw in
blue jay, turkey, bobwhite, an especially snappy male blue-gray
gnatcatcher, several brown thrashers, many cardinals, turkey vultures,
 pileated and red-bellied woodpeckers and at least a dozen crows.

On my way to a program at the old Shiloh School this afternoon I watched a
coyote lope across the big field behind our house, the first time I've seen
one in Virginia. The presence of these wily predators is probably bad news
for ground-nesting birds like bobwhites, turkeys, and nightjars but I think
their net influence on the environment will be positive.

Tom Saunders
Balls Neck