[nnasnet] Advice Needed

  • From: Leslie <leslie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nnasnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 18:10:15 -0400

I have a friend with property on the Little Wicomico.  They have an area that they've just left natural and untouched since they've been there.  But because they are getting ready to list the property, he thought today that he would tidy things up a bit, so he started mowing this area.  On a trip back with the mower, he discovered this Bobwhite nest that he had just uncovered on the previous trip with the mower and immediately texted this picture to me. Thankfully, he actually rode over it with the mower, so the tires didn't crush the nest, and the blade was high enough that it didn't harm the nest.  He wants some advice on what he can do now for the birds.  He says that the nest is now about 8 feet from the tall grass.

I've suggested that every day he try to carefully move the nest closer to the unmown grass, maybe 6 inches at a time, until he manages to get it completely back into the tall grass.  But I'm not sure that that's the best suggestion, and am wondering what others think.

He's already vowed that there will be no more mowing until the chicks have fledged, and he's the type of person that would take whatever steps are necessary, no matter how drastic they may be.  So if you have any ideas that I can share with him, please send those suggestions to Leslie@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thanks