[nhab-tech] FW: to all GPS users (phones or otherwise), a new paradigm which benefits blind users

  • From: "gosselin_louis" <gosselin_louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nhab-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:11:38 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Talk
[mailto:talk-bounces+gosselin_louis=myfairpoint.net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Chip Orange via Talk
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 9:21 AM
To: Window-Eyes Discussion List <talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Window-Eyes Scripting List <scripting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: to all GPS users (phones or otherwise), a new paradigm which
benefits blind users

Hi all,

I'm posting this here because I accidentally came across this information
while working on my Remind Me Where app, and I thought it would be of use to
any blind user with a phone having a GPS; I'll also be adding this
capability to Remind Me Where in the next few days.

The idea is that if you want to tell someone where you are, or where
something is, it can be difficult to do exactly, and the information can get
garbled; especially if you can't communicate it in writing.

If you want to tell a friend exactly where the side door entrance to a large
public building is, giving them the exact GPS latitude and longitude is
probably your best bet; but no one can remember those accurately (usually).
So, some developers have created apps and a server which allows you to use 3
common words in place of a GPS location. (you can see their information and
download their free apps at http://what3words.com

The idea is that if you have a gps location, you use their app which gives
you a 3 word equivalence (say chair, table, house). This is easily
remembered until you can get to a place where you can make use of it (say
entering it as a destination in your phone or in Remind Me Where). If on
your phone, you enter it into their app, and it will give you back the exact
gps location associated with those 3 words, which you copy into your
navigation software. I believe it also gives you an approximate address so
you can double check there's been no mix up, and that it is in the
approximate location which you expect.

The developers are trying hard to get the word out about this adjunct to gps
locations, so people can include this directly into their navigational
software programs and apps. When it's not directly incorporated, you can at
least use their free apps if you're using a smart phone.

I am adding this to Remind Me Where, so you could easily get directions to a
location, or look around a location to see what businesses and places are
near-by.

Check out their site; it's very friendly, includes lots of videos and
explanations and examples, as well as help for developers.

Chip Orange

List archives can be found at