Israel beams new satellite channel to influence the Arab world

  • From: "Muslim-News" <editor_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:26:59 +0100

Israel beamed a new Arabic-language satellite channel to the Arab world
on Tuesday, launching an uphill battle to win over regional public
opinion inflamed against the Jewish state by a Palestinian uprising.

Israeli media experts and government officials believe Israel is lagging
far behind in what they see as a ''Cold War''-style propaganda war being
waged on state-owned Arab satellite TV stations beaming throughout the
Middle East.

The Israel Broadcasting Authority's new Middle East Channel is up
against some 140 Arab satellite channels that Israel says promote a
21-month-old Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation.

[para omitted]

Earlier this year, Syria and Egypt launched Hebrew-language satellite
news broadcasts. Iran, a non-Arab adversary of Israel, has started an
Internet radio programme in Hebrew.

''Our programmes explain the government position. In the news, we try to
be objective...and the explanation we reserve for discussion shows,''
said Sameeh Saleh, the IBA's Arabic service news editor.

The service will broadcast daily from 4 p.m. to midnight. After-hours,
it will carry Israel Radio's Arabic service and some English-language
programming.

[para omitted]

But Israeli Arab left-wingers said Israel could not produce fair Arabic
programming. ''The whole style is anti-Palestinian... It is real
propaganda representing the position of the IDF (Israeli army) and the
prime minister's office,'' legislator Ahmed Tibi said.

Source:  Reuters

You can choose whether you prefer to receive regular emails or a weekly digest
by visiting http://www.muslim-news.net

Archive: http://archive.muslim-news.net

You can subscribe by sending an email to request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
http://www.muslim-news.net

word "unsubscribe" (without quotes) in the subject line, or by visiting
http://www.muslim-news.net

You are welcome to submit any relevant news story to submit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For regular Islamic cultural articles by email, send email to
revivalist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx