[neveh-tech] http://www.cji.co.il/cji-n266.txt

  • From: "reuw" <reuw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Neveh-tech" <neveh-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "neveh-l freelists" <neveh-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, צוות כללי נווה חנה <neveh-morim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:42:20 +0200

No strings attached

by Stuart Winer
The Jerusalem Post
November 4, 2004

Unwired Jerusalem brings fast, cable-free Internet connection
to the capital.

Ancient Jerusalem took a giant leap to the cutting-edge of
technology on Monday, when the capital became a wireless
Internet city.

Laptop computer users can now connect to high-speed Internet
without a physical connection anywhere in the center of town,
be it in a coffee shop, at a bus stop, or just sitting in the
sun on a pedestrian mall.

Wireless technology is finally here and the best news of all,
is that it's free.

The Unwired Jerusalem project began as the vision of three
Jerusalemites who wanted to do something for their city and
were aided by good timing.

About nine months ago, founder of local think tank, the Jerusalem
Business Development Corporation, Jacob Ner-David and CEO of
Compumat Computers, Mati Herbst discussed "all kinds of fantasies"
when the wireless idea came up.

"We feel that the economy is not making use of even a small
percent of what it deserves," Herbst explains. "We see a beautiful
city, with so much history that is so important to so many
communities. Yet, on the other hand, this city is becoming
less and less attractive to people in their 30s, people in
hi-tech - which is absurd."

The two entrepreneurs set their sights on a wireless network
for the capital that would enable anyone with a suitable
laptop computer or a palm pilot to connect to the Internet
without the messy tangle of wires.

"Un-tethering people from sitting in a specific place has,
for many people in the world, been a basic development in
the course of life. If you are not part of that development,
you are going to be left behind, either as an individual or
as a community," says Ner-David.

Though it is fairly easy to set up a private network of wireless
transmitters, Ner-David explains that they wanted it to be an
official part of the city.

In his capacity as a volunteer hi-tech advisor to the Jerusalem
Municipality, Ner-David pitched the idea to Mayor Uri Lupolianski,
who accepted it with enthusiasm.

"The Mayor's Office gave us their total blessing and support,"
recalls Ner-David. "That helped get Intel involved, when they
realized that it wasn't something that was just happening in
a vacuum."

Ner-David began circulating a document describing the concept
of a wireless Jerusalem. He sent one copy to Intel, a world
leader in wireless technology, with a large fabrication and
research facility in Har Hotzvim that plays a major role in
the Jerusalem business scene.

Little did he know that Shay Kavas, the FSM Wireless Program
Manager of Intel's fabrication plants, was dreaming of the
very same idea.

In charge of a corporate-wide project to install wireless
technology in all Intel fabrication plants, Kavas had also
begun thinking of ways to use the same technology to provide
a wireless network that would serve the capital.

"Of course it is in Intel's interest to do this. It is a
win-win situation," explains Intel Israel Spokesman Koby Bahar.
"It provides a technological upgrade to the place where you
install it and Intel is interested in seeing wireless
[technology] take off."

Kavas admits that free Internet is not much of a business plan.

Initially, when he distributed prototype models to check the
market response to the concept, he was met with incredulity.

"People looked at us as though we were mad," says Kavas.
"They said, 'You want to do it for free? What kind of business
model is that?'" But as the project took shape, a variety of
hi-tech companies offered their support for free.

Bahar is reluctant to talk about the project's cost, but offers
an estimate in the ballpark of hundreds of thousands of shekels,
accounting for both work hours and installation.

"Each company that is involved gave what they could, but what
is important is the contribution to the community," he says.
"The people involved are volunteering their services, they
are not getting paid by anyone to do it; they are being paid
by their own companies.

"But, it is an expense that we believe will give a lot to
the community."

During the Unwired Jerusalem launch ceremony at City Hall,
Mayor Uri Lupolianski paid tribute to both the technology and
the "good deed approach" of those behind it.

"This project is, in my opinion, unique not just for the
technological advance it brings to Jerusalem but specifically
because of the social message," said Lupolianski. "This is
the real Jerusalem... the joint voluntary spirit of the
citizens, the public and private sectors working together on
behalf of the residents."

The wireless Internet area is created by approximately
30 transmitters, scattered across downtown Jerusalem.
The tiny transmitters, fixed to walls in shops, cafes and
offices, are connected to high-speed Internet and can
communicate with up to 200 users at 54 Megabites per second.

Owners of laptops fitted with wireless communication
technology can connect to the network for free and begin
surfing just about anywhere in the network zone, which
includes the Ben-Yehuda pedestrian mall, Kikar Zion,
Kikar Ha-Hatulot, Dorot Rishonim, Nahalat Shivah, Rehov Rivlin
and Rehov Heleni Hamalka.

Phase two of the project will continue over the next year
to cover a wider area that includes Emek Refaim.

Unlike the large cellular phone microwave antennas, the
wireless transmitters broadcast radio waves at much lower
power, giving them a range of just 300 meters.

Ironically, the biggest challenge to the project was not
technological, but rather bureaucratic.

Allowing the public to access Internet through their own
personal systems might expose users to viruses or other
complications that could lead to legal action.

The network is designed to limit security risks and anyone
who logs on must electronically 'sign' a legal declaration
that exempts the network operators of all responsibility.

Time was of the essence, as nature set the deadline for
winter. Although the wireless network works under all
conditions, end users are more discerning. "No one is going
to sit outside and work in the rain," explains Kavas.

But at any time of year, local businesses stand to benefit
from the invisible infrastructure, by an anticipated increase
in the flow of patrons during work hours.

Kavas hopes the wireless idea will catch on throughout the
country.

"It will create a certain momentum to do it in other places,"
he says. All indications suggest that he is right.

Shoham recently announced that it intends to set up a wireless
network to promote local business and Dizengoff Center in
Tel Aviv is also working on a project to give its customers
a wireless Internet zone.

Wireless networks enable users to not only make better use
of their time, but also to enjoy it more.

"I need to work with many different time zones in my line of
work and this ruins quality of life," Kavas explains.
"I need to be attached to a computer all the time, either at
work or at home. Now, I can go out in the evening and take
the computer along."

The question is, can Jerusalemites who are in search of some
quiet time over a coffee, expect an overwhelming tap-tap of
keyboards to join the current cacophony of background noise
from ringing mobile phones? Public opinion is divided.

"It's a great idea," says Alex Usvyatsov. "It's one of the
reasons not to leave Jerusalem. People look for a nice
environment to work in, like a coffee shop."

Not so, argues Andreas Liu.

"I come to have coffee, to avoid cell phones and people tapping
on computers. So, this is just one more reason to leave Jerusalem."

"What was the down side of cell phones? People forgot how to
turn them off," says Ner-David. "What we are talking about
here is something that you engage in for an actual need:
pulling information in, rather than having people reach out
to you and bombard you with calls.

"There is your answer. Right now, I am sitting here with you.
But I know what is going on in the office; I get all my
e-mails and I can see my schedule."

The effect on local society, economics and culture will be
closely monitored by a research team from Haifa University's
Center for the Study of the Information Society, which will
monitor the capital during the coming year.

"We will check the effect on business profits, demographics
and socio-economics," says research assistant Gili Korner.
"How does it affect the community and the interplay between
work and leisure time?"

Herbst believes that the wireless network will not signal
the end of the classic office because there is still the
'water-cooler effect' - the important interaction between
workers in the office environment.

Although the service will be free for the first year,
Ner-David says that in the future the municipality will have
to consider how to directly benefit and use the technology
and similar technologies to make the city more efficient.

Only then will the question of charging for use of the
service, become relevant.

"What services can you expect as a citizen? It is a global
question," says Ner-David. "I think that the right to
communicate entails a core right and privilege to be part
of a modern communication age."

Advertising is another method by which the wireless network
could become profitable.

As for the future, with a wireless infrastructure in place,
the potential applications are endless. From wireless,
closed circuit television cameras to tourist information,
the freedom from wires can support a range of technologies.

"Something as simple as having wireless connectivity is a
big boost," says Ner-David and Herbst promises that additional
projects are already on the drawing board, although he won't
divulge any information just yet.

"Who knows [what will happen]?" asks one senior hi-tech
executive. "Prophecy is given to fools and children."