UPDATED> ResourceShelf Reminder -- Week 163

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 11:19:20 -0500

Integrate Literacy, Music, and Technology into the classroom.

Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 17:15:43 +0100
To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ResourceShelf Reminder -- Week 163
From: Gary Price <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

++++++++++++++
The ResourceShelf REMINDER (this e-mail) contains a PORTION of the
content/links
from the ResourceShelf web site.

Please visit the web site to review ALL OF THE CONTENT.
++++++++++++++

ResourceShelf
E-Mail Reminder
Week 163
May 6, 2004
http://www.resourceshelf.com

Greetings from DC!

ResourceShelf is compiled by Gary D. Price, MLIS
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Contributing Editors
-----
+ Shirl Kennedy, MLIS
+ Dan Giancaterino, MLIS

------------------
------------------

Thursday, May 6, 2004

Resources of the Week
1) Citation Indexing
This week three articles for your reading list.
+ The FUTURE of Citation Indexing: An Interview with Eugene Garfield
With so much talk about PageRank and web link analysis these days, I think
featuring a link to Peter Jacso's interview with the father of citation
analysis, Dr. Eugene Garfield, is very appropriate. This interview was first
published in the January 2004 issue of Online magazine. Many of the concepts at

the core of citation analysis form the foundation of link analysis. Btw,
citation analysis is mentioned in the Brin/Page paper, The Anatomy of a Search
Engine. It's also mentioned in this article by the IBM CLEVER team (which
preceded Google) that included Jon Kleinberg. CLEVER was never publicly
released
but many of its concepts are being used by Teoma/Jeeves.
See Also: Dr. Garfield's Home Page and Links to Almost of His Publications
Interesting and important reading!
See Also: Full Text, "Citation Indexes for Science: A New Dimension in
Documentation through Association of Ideas."
The 1955 article that Dr. Jacso mentions at the beginning of the interview.
See Also: More Interviews with Dr. Garfield
++
++
2) Semantic Weblogging
Source: Hewlett-Packard (Steve Cayzer, Research Engineer)
+ Semantic Blogging: Spreading the Semantic Web Meme
"The semantic web promises to make the web more useful by endowing metadata
with
machine processable semantics. Blogging is a lightweight web publishing
paradigm
which provides a very low barrier to entry, useful syndication and aggregation
behaviour, a simple to understand structure and decentralized construction of a

rich information network. Semantic blogging builds upon the success and clear
network value of blogging by adding additional semantic structure to items
shared over the blog channels. In this way we add significant value allowing
view, navigation and query along semantic rather than simply chronological or
serendipitous connections."
See also: Semantic Blogging for Bibliography Management by the same author
See also: Semantic Blogging Demonstrator navigation and query along semantic
rather than simply chronological or serendipitous connections."
See also: Semantic Blogging for Bibliography Management by the same author
++
++
Web Search--Weblogs
Source: b/ITe (Special Libraries Association Information Technology Division)
Trends in Blog Searching (PDF; 220 KB)
"Blogs are everywhere, and it is important to be able to search them or make
sure you're not searching them when you are looking for authoritative,
accurate,
and unbiased information." Article by Christina Pikas, Technical Librarian,
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, covers blog searching in
both general search engines and blog-specific search engines.

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents
Library and Archives Canada
Educational Resources
Released at the Beginning of April, Canada's Learning Centre
 >From the site, "Library and Archives Canada's Learning Centre brings together
wealth of educational resources for students and teachers, including
comprehensive teaching units and strategies, lesson plans, quizzes and games...

Educators will be interested in the workshops offered in the "Educational
Resources" database, found in 'For Teachers.'"

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Wednesday, May 5, 2004

Health Research
After 125 Consecutive Years Index Medicus Will Cease as Print Publication

Professional Reading Shelf (5 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Enterprise Search
More Search Articles from ACM Queue
Last month we included a link to a great interview with Matt Wells from
Gigablast that ran in this publication. Today, two more articles have become
available online.
+ Searching Vs. Finding
This is essential reading! It was written by William A. Woods at Sun
Microsystems Laboratories.
--
+ Enterprise Search: Tough Stuff
This article was written by Rajat Mukherjee and Jianchang Mao from Verity and

searching the Web?"
++
Information Professionals
Source: University of Michigan International Center
Work Abroad: Overseas Opportunities for Information Professionals
"This page describes resources for researching international opportunities for
U.S. graduate students, doctoral students, and other information
professionals."
Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (5 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Engineering
Source: The Berkeley Electronic Press / Engineering Conferences International
(ECI)
Just Released, New Web Resource, The Engineering Conferences International
Symposium Series
++
Law Firms
Source: Periscope Ventures Corporation
LawPeriscope
 >From About Us: "LawPeriscope quickly and efficiently organizes the vast sea
of
information posted by the 300 largest US law firms on their individual
websites,
which continue to increase in volume and complexity every year. LawPeriscope
helps you navigate through these websites more effectively, making it the only
online tool you need to research, evaluate and compare any of these law firms.
Using LawPeriscope, you may obtain each firm's contact and address details or
fully investigate the firm and its attorneys, practice areas, branch offices
and
clients, as well as access its online resources such as articles, newsletters
and seminars."
++
Financial Services Industry--United States
Source: Ernst & Young
Just Published, State of the Industry Report 2004
"Outlines the state of the financial services industry at the beginning of
2004.

Citation Analysis
Scholarly Publishing
Source: ISI
+ Science in Canada, 1999-2003
++
+ Artificial Intelligence: Most Prolific U.S. Universities, 1998-2002
++
+ Political Science & Public Administration: High-Impact U.S. Universities,
1998-2002

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Tuesday, May 4, 2004

Web Search--Objects Search
Another Nutch Powered Search Engine Beta: Objects Search

Professional Reading Shelf (3 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Cataloging
Authority Tools for Audiovisual and Music Catalogers: An Annotated List of
Useful Resources

Library Briefs (4 Items Listed on the Web Site)
+ Arkansas...Clinton Library to have special vault for classified papers (via
AP)
++
+ Texas...Texas libraries could lose database access (Houston Chronicle)

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (5 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Libraries
Unusual Libraries: Book Boats, Book Trains and More
Source: Prince Rupert Public Library (B.C., Canada)
"This section is dedicated to tracking unusual mobile libraries around the
world. Since the initial launch of the bookboat site in the summer of 2000, the

Prince Rupert Library staff have discovered bookboats in Venezuela, Florida,
Sweden, Norway, Thailand, and Alaska. We have recently discovered other unusual

libraries, which include Book Bicycles, Book Backpacks, Camel-Drawn Libraries,
and Donkey-Drawn Libraries. These alternative libraries typically serve
populations that would otherwise not have access to library services."
++
Fast Facts--United States
New Fact Sheets from the U.S. Census
+ 53rd Anniversary of the UNIVAC Computer
+ Civil Rights Act of 1964: 40th Anniversary
+ Dedication of National World War II Memorial

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Monday, May 3, 2004

Digital Preservation
The Library of Congress
Meet Laura Campbell: Associate Librarian for Strategic Initiatives at the
Library of Congress
 >From the article, "Librarians used to worry about preserving access to books
and periodicals that their institutions owned. Preserving access to Web sites,
electronic books and digital audio and video is far more complicated, Campbell
said. Libraries subscribe to electronic materials and don't own physical
copies.
For that reason, ownership is often a bone of contention between copyright
holders and libraries interested in preserving long-term access to digitally
created works...Because so much about digital preservation is unknown, Campbell

said the library's strategy is to learn by doing and to be prepared to make
corrections along the way. Library officials and the many people they consulted

during the planning phase of the program tried to think about contingencies and

how future events could affect the program's outcome."

Web Search--Google
People Want Google Domain Names!

Professional Reading Shelf (5 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Project Gutenberg
Source: Information Today
Project Gutenberg Progresses
Paula Hane chats with Michael Hart
--
Scholarly Publishing
Source: Association of Research Libraries/Information Access Alliance (via

Free Database Trials
This Month Only: Ovid Offers a Free Trial of Inspec Biomedical Technology &
IEEE
Biomedical Library
+ Inspec Biomedical Technology
"Inspec records are selected for inclusion in the Inspec Biomedical Technology
database using Inspec's unique classification code system. It comprises over
500,000 records from 1969 to date, and will be updated with over 21,000 new
records per year." Learn more.
+ IEEE Biomedical Library

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (3 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Documents in the News
Wiretaps--United States--Statistics
Source: Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts
Recently Released, Full Text, 2003 Wiretap Report (For the Period January 1
Through December 31, 2003)
"Federal and state courts authorized 1,442 interceptions of wire, oral or
electronic communications in 2003, an increase of 6 percent over 2002."
--
Digital Video Recorders
Source: Technology Review

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Sunday, May 2, 2004

News Search--Findory
New Features from Findory
Findory, the personalized news resource, added two new services today.

Professional Reading Shelf (2 Items Listed on the Web Site)
The British Library
Source: BBC News
Library Purchases Punch Archive
"The historic Punch magazine archive, including letters by Anthony Trollope and

Charles Dickens, has been purchased by the British Library. The archive boasts
more than 1,000 original cartoons, as well letters from illustrious literary
figures such as A.A Milne and PG Wodehouse."

Access to Information--United States
Source: National Council for Research on Women
Full Text MISSING: Information About Women's Lives
A report about the U.S. federal government removing material from the Internet.

Additional info here along with a Reuters article.
See Also: MisInformation Exchange
"A growing log of omissions, alterations, and distortions of vital information
that was once readily available through government sources."

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Saturday, May 1, 2004

Professional Reading Shelf
Distance Education
Ten Efficient Research Strategies for Distance Learning
Source: Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration
"The ten research strategies that will be covered are accessing library
expertise, books from your or others' library catalogs, academic journals,
databases, current awareness services, subscription services, distance
education
Web portals, associations, listserv/discussions, and use of research
assistants."

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (2 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
VoIP
Source: FCC
FCC Consumer Facts: VoIP/Internet Voice (PDF; 160 KB)
Provides background information, explains how VoIP works and what equipment is
required, etc.

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Friday, April 30, 2004

Web Search-UJIKO
Kartoo Launches a New Search Product: UJIKO

Professional Reading Shelf (2 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Scholarly Publishing
Source: The Wellcome Trust
New report reveals open access could reduce cost of scientific publishing by up

to 30 per cent

Professional Reading Shelf (2 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Scholarly Publishing
Source: The Wellcome Trust
New report reveals open access could reduce cost of scientific publishing by up

to 30 per cent
 >From the announcement, "A report out today shows that making scientific
research available free on the Internet could wipe as much as 30 per cent off
publishing costs. The Wellcome Trust report shows for the first time that the
open access model of scientific publishing - where the author of a research
paper pays for peer reviewed research to be made available on the web free to
all who wish to use it - is economically viable, guarantees high quality
research and is a sustainable option which could revolutionise the world of
traditional scientific publishing."

Text Mining
Source: JISC
First Publicly Funded Text Mining Center in the World Will Be Established in
the
UK

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (6 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Terrorism
Source: U.S. Department of State
Just Released, Patterns of Global Terrorism 2003
++
Military--Bibliographies
Three New Bibliographies from Air University Library
+ Conflict Termination in the Iraqi War 2003
+ Military Transformation
+ Posse Comitatus
These bibliographies include Internet resources, books, documents and
periodicals. Air University Library offers more than 200 bibliographies on
defense-related topics.
++
Health Care Funding--United States--Statistics
Source: Kaiser Family Foundation
Just Released, Trends and Indicators in the Changing Health Care Marketplace,
2004 Update

++++++++++++++
Looking for more research news and resources?
Visit The Virtual Chase
http://www.virtualchase.com
++++++++++++++

Thursday, April 29, 2004

Resources of the Week
2 items.
1) Business Rankings--Lists & Rankings
Trip's Lists
2) Online Maps
National Geographic MapMachine

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (3 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Digitization Projects
Source: Florida State Archives
Florida Postcard Collection
"This collection of picture postcards provides images of Florida statewide,
including historic sites; tourist attractions and resorts; industries; schools,

churches, and government buildings; roads, bridges, and railroads; urban and
rural scenes; Seminole Indians; and Florida's wildlife and natural
environments.
The collection includes both color and black-and-white images." Contains 5,445
images spanning the period 1900-1999.
++
Patents--Lists & Rankings
Source: Technology Review
2004 Technology Review Patent Scorecard
"Technology Review's annual Patent Scorecard ranks the U.S. patent portfolios
of
150 top technology companies in eight sectors."

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

ResourceShelf
E-Mail Reminder
Week 163
May 6, 2004
http://www.resourceshelf.com

One More Time
++++++++++++++
The ResourceShelf REMINDER contains a PORTION of the content/links from the
ResourceShelf web site. Please visit the site to review ALL OF THE CONTENT.

Don't forget that ResourceShelf is updated throughout the week. Please stop by
whenever you have a free moment or two.
++++++++++++++++

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE