UPDATED> ResourceShelf Reminder -- Week 155

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:30:00 -0600

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:51:39 GMT
To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  ResourceShelf Reminder -- Week 155
From: Gary Price <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ResourceShelf
E-Mail Reminder
Week 155
March 11, 2004
http://www.resourceshelf.com

Greetings from Washington DC.

ResourceShelf is compiled by Gary D. Price, MLIS
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

++++++++++++++
The ResourceShelf REMINDER (this e-mail) contains a PORTION
of the content/links from the ResourceShelf web site.

Please visit the site to review ALL OF THE CONTENT.
++++++++++++++

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Resources of the Week

Two articles and an excellent directory this time around.

This week ResourceShelf begins an occasional feature where we'll either link to

or post full text articles by members of The Association of Independent
Information Professionals.

I've asked the AIIP's President-Elect, Mary Ellen Bates, to provide
ResourceShelf with a brief introduction. "The Association of Independent
Information Professionals (www.aiip.org) is an international association of
over
700 info-entrepreneurs, many of whom are among the leading names in the
information profession. In addition to the research, analysis and consulting
work, AIIP members often write and give presentations about the information
industry and profession." You can learn more about AIIP via their web site. The

site includes a searchable membership directory.
Here are the first two articles.

+ "Delivering Competitive Intelligence Visually" by Angela Kansinger
Note: This article was originally published in SCIP's Competitive Intelligence
Magazine From the article, "The breadth of intelligence information available,
client requirements, and the continued development of new technologies now
require that we disseminate much of our CI information visually."

+ "8 As of Information" by Dennis Gaulin
 >From the article, "The gathering, delivery and application of quality
information is essential to sound decision-making. The process is complex, and
requires expert knowledge and professional competence through a number of steps

to ensure quality results. The process can appear deceptively simple and is
often undervalued. Gaulin's 8 A's of information is designed to provide
researchers and consumers of information with a simple model that clearly
identifies which steps in the research process are the domain of the
professional researcher and which apply to the information user."
---
---
Economics--Directories
EconData.Net
Place this one in your "must have" file (if it's not already there)! From the
site, "1,000 links to socioeconomic data sources, arranged by subject and
provider, pointers to the Web's premiere data collections, and our own list of
the ten best sites for finding regional economic data." EconData.Net's monthly
e-mail update (free) lists new reports and economic resources.

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Digital Preservation
Source: FCW
Library of Congress plots digital preservation path

Professional Reading Shelf (3 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Virtual Reference
QuestionPoint part of pilot project to provide virtual reference, online
information to visually impaired
++
Public Libraries
Source: Public Library Association
Handouts from the 2004 Public Library Association Conference

Web Search--Google
Source: Business Week
Google's Ads -- and Minuses
 >From Alex Salkever's article, "The search engine's policy of not taking ads
that slam a third party could end up hurting its reputation, not to mention
muffling free speech."

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (3 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Microsoft
Source: The Charlie Rose Show
Streaming Audio, Charlie Rose Interviews Bill Gates
"Bill Gates, founder and chairman of Microsoft Corp., talks with Charlie Rose
in
Cambridge, Massachusetts, about his company's disinterest in acquiring Walt
Disney Co., the most promising areas of software research and the outlook for
software subscriptions as a new revenue source." The program runs about one
hour. You'll need RealPlayer.
++

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Tuesday, March 9, 2004

Web Search--Yahoo
Source: News.com
Yahoo Introduces SmartView

Professional Reading Shelf (3 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Gray Literature--Webliography
Source: C&RL News
Gray literature: Resources for locating unpublished research
++
Open Access
Scholarly Publishing
Source: The Guardian
Open access publishers close ranks

RFID (Radio Frequency Identification)
Source: Technology Review
Visualizing RFID

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (4 Items)
Campaign Finance--United States--Statistics
Source: Federal Election Commission
Recently Released, Congressional Campaign Fundraising Rises Sharply In 2003
++
Business--United States--Statistics
Source: Equal Opportunity Employment Commission
Glass Ceilings: The Status of Women as Officials and Managers in the Private
Sector

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Monday, March 8, 2004

News Search--Topix.Net
No More Beta: Topix.Net Officially Launches
A web-based news aggregator that we've mentioned on ResourceShelf several
times,
Topix.Net moves out of Beta today. It's absolutely worthy of your attention.

Professional Reading Shelf
Librarians
Source: The Harvard Crimson
Harvard To Aid Libraries In Iraq

Information Industry--United States--Legal Issues
Source: ALA Washington Office Newsline
Alternative Database Protection Legislation Introduced

Industry Briefs (3 Items Listed on the Web Site)
H.W. Wilson Continues Its March Back to the Future (via Information Today
NewsBreaks)
--
ebrary Announces International Distributors

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (3 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Military and Defense--Directories
Source: Cranfield University
DEVISE
"DEVISE is a special collection of quality military and defence sources
focussing directly on the information needs of the armed forces. It forms a
tailored subset of the main aerospace and defence resources database." Browse
by
subject heading or keyword search.

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Sunday, March 7, 2004

Professional Reading Shelf (4 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Events--Australia
Call For Papers: ALIA Information Online 2005 12th Conference and Exhibition
--
Digital Libraries
Derek Law to speak at OCLC About the Social Role of Digital Libraries

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents
Drug Information--United States--Databases
FDA Makes New Drug Information Database Available

Legal--United States--Databases
Consumer Issues
Source: San Jose Mercury News
Learn About: DoctorKnow.Us
 >From the article, "A new Web site aims to help physicians track people who
have
filed medical malpractice lawsuits -- and consumer groups fear doctors could
use
the site to 'blacklist' patients."

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

Saturday, March 6, 2004

Professional Reading Shelf (2 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Scholarly Publishing
Open Access
Source: JISC
JISC and Publishers Work Together to Open up Access to Journals

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (2 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Law--United States--Lists & Rankings
Source: VerdictSearch / The National Law Journal
Top 100 Largest Jury Verdicts of 2003
----

Friday, March 5, 2004

News Search
Findory: A New "Adaptive" News Resource

Web Search
Source: eWeek
Google Grumbles
It's great to read that others are beginning to realize the potential of what
Teoma offers.

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (3 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Government--United Kingdom
UK Government Launches New Web Directory: DirectGov
A browsable and searchable directory offering direct links to "the widest range

of government information and services."
++
Business--Canada--Search Engines
Government--Canada--Search Engines
Source: Industry Canada
Strategis Improves Search Engine

National Archives and Records Administration
New/Updated Content Added to Access to Archival Databases (AAD) System

Library Briefs
S.F. library officials grilled on plan to put trackers in books (via
AP/Sacramento Bee)

++++++++++++++
Looking for more research news and resources?
Visit The Virtual Chase
http://www.virtualchase.com
++++++++++++++

Thursday, March 4, 2004

Reference Reviews
Peter's Digital Reference Shelf, March 2004 Is Now Online
This month Dr. Jacso looks at:
+ e.encyclopedia
"Novel synergy between a print encyclopedia and a high-quality online
mini-directory from the best representatives of both worlds. It is a perfect
example of how to have kids refer to a book because Google, through its entries

in the special directory, refers them to specific pages of the brilliant print
encyclopedia and makes them understand that what is online is not all that's
golden."
+ Fact Monster
"Splashing wacky colors, typography and icons on pages from adult reference
sources does not a kids' reference site make. It is like sending Al Gore to
talk
funny to kids about the government."

Professional Reading Shelf (2 Items Listed on the Web Site)
Digital Information
The March Issue of First Monday is Now Online
Articles include:
+ Do you "google"? Understanding search engine use beyond the hype
+ Finders, keepers? The present and future perfect in support of personal
information management

Internet--United States--Statistics
Source: Pew Internet & American Life Project
New Data Memo, Use of the Internet in places other than home or work

Resources, Reports, Tools, Lists, and Full-Text Documents (4 Items Listed on
the
Web Site)
Voting--United States--Statistics
Source: U.S. Census
Just Released, Profile of Voting-Age Population
++
Higher Education--United States--Databases
Source: NCES
Now Available, Postsecondary Institution Graduation Rates Now Available in
IPEDS
COOL

++
http://www.resourceshelf.com
++

One More Time
++++++++++++++
The ResourceShelf REMINDER contains a PORTION of the content/links from the
ResourceShelf web site. Please visit the site to review ALL OF THE CONTENT.

Don't forget that ResourceShelf is updated throughout the week. Please stop by
whenever you have a free moment or two.
++++++++++++++++

ResourceShelf
E-Mail Reminder
Week 155
March 11, 2004
http://www.resourceshelf.com

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html