K12> Prof. Dev: This Week at Tapped In (May 9-15)

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:14:20 -0500

Integrate Literacy, Music, and Technology into the classroom.

Newsgroups:   bit.listserv.edtech
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2004 00:55:03 -0400
From: EDTECH Editor-Beil <edadmin9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:      Prof. Dev: This Week at Tapped In (May 9-15)
To: EDTECH@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: BJ Berquist <berquist@xxxxxx>

Join the Webheads TESOL/ESL/EFL/ELL community on Saturday for Writing
for Webheads (students) and Sunday for Webheads in Action (teachers).
Tuesday's K-3+ Resources topic is Balanced Literacy-Writing and Bill
Hilton Jr.'s Nuts About Nature features the letter 'M': M is for May,
Mother's Day and Migration. Join Michael Hutchison for Wednesday's
Social Studies Forum. Thursday's busy schedule includes Sandra Shattuck
leading the AAMU WriteTalk-Freewriting, and the Teacher Ed Faculty Forum
and the Pre-Service Teachers Group led by Marianne Handler and Janet
Naher-Snowden. Tours of the many new features of Tapped In are scheduled
for a variety of time zones on most Tuesdays and Saturdays.
**********************
After School Online (ASO) is a forum for educators. The scheduled
events, designed for professional development, are open to everyone in
the Tapped In community and all guests.  All Calendar events will be
held in the ASO room unless otherwise noted in the description. Featured
Passageways in TI Reception has a link to the ASO and most other
conference rooms. As always, please login to Tapped In
http://www.tappedin.org <http://ti2.sri.com> 10 minutes before the ASO
event is scheduled to begin to allow us to help you get where you need
to be. Click on the event on the web calendar at
http://ti2.sri.com/tappedin/do/CalendarAction to read the complete
descriptions of the individual topics. If you are logged in to Tapped
In, the calendar description has a passageway that allows you to go
directly to the room where the event will be held
**********************
View the Tapped In calendar of ASO events at:
http://ti2.sri.com/tappedin/do/CalendarAction  You can set the calendar
to your time zone to see events in your times.
Saturday, May 8
* Writing for Webheads
9:00-10:00am PST
The Writing for Webheads focus is on students interacting online. Join
Maggi Doty every Saturday in Tapped In Reception at 16:00 GMT.
http://sites.hsprofessional.com/vstevens/files/efi/webheads.htm.

* Tapped In Tips and Tricks
4:00-5:00pm PST
Join one of the Tapped In HelpDesk volunteers to learn about the
fabulous features of TI. Tips and Tricks, a field trip of the features
of Tapped In and how educators can use the Tapped In environment, will
start in the Reception room of the Tapped In system.
Sunday, May 9
* Webheads in Action
5:00-7:00am PDT
The focus of Webheads in Action is on teacher professional development
and forming communities of practice with CMC tools.
http://www.vancEDTevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm
<http://www.geocities.com/vancestevens.com/papers/evonline2002/webheads.htm>
Join Vance Stevens every Sunday in Tapped In Reception at noon GMT (for
two hours).
Tuesday, May 11
* Oz-Time Tours and Tips/Campfire Meeting
2am PDT
Join Dianne Allen for Oz time-friendly Tours and Tips and Campfire
Meetings, an "Australian" (and NZ and Western Rim Asia) meeting place
for informal chatting about professional development issues and
arranging for more focused meetings of special issue discussions. This
discussion will be held in Reception.

* Tapped In Tips and Tricks
2:30-3:30pm PDT

* K-3+ Resources - Balanced Literacy: Writing
5:00-6:00pm PDT/8:00-9:00pm EDT
Join Sue Roseman in the Comfy Conference Room for new sites, projects
and online resources for K-3 Students and Teachers. The topic is
Balanced Literacy: 4 Blocks - Writing. There is also a K to 3 Resource
Room where Sue posts the lesson tracks and additional information for
K-3+ teachers. To join the K to 3 Resource group, go to the search
tab/groups and enter The K to 3 Resource Room. Press the Find It button.
Click on the room name and then join the group.

* Nuts About Nature: M is for May, Mother's Day and Migration
6:00-7:00pm PDT
Bill Hilton Jr. --an award-winning educator-naturalist from Hilton Pond
Center for Piedmont Natural History in York, SC--will lead discussions
on a wide realm of nature-based topics, including how to bring the
outdoors into your K-12 classroom, virtually and otherwise. Bird
watching, close-up photography, leading field trips, phenology, and
nature study Web sites are all fair game--including the one at
http://www.hiltonpond.org <http://www.hiltonpond.org/>. Neotropical
migrant birds that spend our winter in Central and South America rush
northward in May, spreading out across the U.S. and Canada in search of
nest sites. This month's discussion takes a look at these amazing
long-distance travelers and what we can learn from them. The topic is "M
is for May, Mother's Day and Migration" and will take place in the Tree
House Conference Room.
Wednesday, May 12
* Social Studies Forum
5:00-6:00pm PDT
Michael Hutchison, discussion group leader, invites you to join the
Social Studies discussion group in the ASO to share resources and meet
with leaders of the Social Studies community. If you are a professor or
teacher who has assigned your students to participate in discussions in
Tapped In, please contact Michael at mhutch@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mhutch@xxxxxxxxxxx> to let him know your group will be logging
in. This will help him prepare a topic that is beneficial to your group.
Thursday, May 13
* Teacher Education Faculty Forum
5:00-6:00pm PDT
Join Marianne Handler and Jan Naher-Snowden for this forum for Teacher
Education Faculty. The group will meet in the Hot Tub Conference Room.
It is the goal of this discussion group to help faculty plan for the
needed preparation prior to sending students to their first virtual
discussions and address concerns teacher faculty face in helping their
students learn to integrate technology into their curriculum.

* Preservice Teachers - Moving Tech from "About" to "With"
6:00-7:00pm PDT
Make the move from "Learning about the Technology" to "Learning with the
Technology". Before we can expect our future students to develop the
ability to develop a deeper understanding of how technology can assist
them in gaining content knowledge, we must make that leap ourselves. Our
discussion will focus on the real life applications of technology skills
for our personal life-long learning goals. This group meets in the Cafe.

* AAMU Writing Project - WriteTalk
6:00-7:00pm PDT
Frustrated by trying to write a snazzy introduction for that grant
proposal? Polishing up a lesson plan to submit for publication?
Petrified by a smirking deadline and no clue how to begin? Moderated by
Sandra Shattuck, a teacher consultant of the Alabama A&M University
(AAMU) Writing Project (one of 175 sites of the National Writing
Project), WriteTalk's purpose is two-fold: 1) to provide peer feedback
on any stage of our professional writing (brainstorming,
invention/pre-writing, drafting, revising), and 2) to discuss the
teaching of writing in all subject areas. If you're curious about how
teaching writing in your subject area can facilitate learning of both
content and process, come chat with us. Come join us at WriteTalk in the
ASO where we talk our writing challenges into manageable moments of
creativity. We will discuss our experiences using the writing prompts
featured in the AAMU Writing Group office and also talk about any
writing challenges
Saturday, May 15
* Writing for Webheads
9:00-10:00am PST

* Tapped In Tips and Tricks
4:00-5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 16
* Webheads in Action
5:00-7:00am PDT
Respectfully submitted,
BJ Berquist
Associate Educator, TAPPED IN
bjb@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.pa.net/mailbox/action.php?action=write&mail_to=bjb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

http://tappedin.org/tappedin/web/staff/bj.jsp

---
Edtech Archives, posting guidelines and other information are at:
http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~edweb
Please include your name, email address, and school or professional
affiliation in each posting.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE