[ECP] Educational CyberPlayGround NetHappenings Headlines and Resources

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:21:40 -0400

Greetings All,

Happy Reading for today!

best,
<Karen>

1)
Real Life Discussions in the Classroom
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Arts/curriculum.html
Racist Stereotypes in Advertising
Uncle Ben has been promoted to CEO

2)
Most stringent requirements of a data security
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=security&articleId=9018289>
known as the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security
Standard, requires all entities that handle payment cards to implement a
set of 12 security controls for protecting card data.

3)
Researcher to demonstrate Vista attacks
http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?newsID=8709
Joanna Rutkowska, a security researcher known for picking apart the
security mechanisms built into Windows, is to demonstrate new ways for
hackers to invade Windows Vista, including rootkit techniques and ways
to defeat BitLocker drive encryption.

4)
Wi-Fi networks still insecure in London's City
http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?newsID=8721
After years of stark warnings, many Wi-Fi networks located in Londons
City financial district still lack basic levels of security, a security
vendor claims to have found.

Wifi Hot Spot Finder
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Technology/Web_Sites.html

5)
Apple plugs QuickTime zero-day flaw
http://news.com.com/Apple+plugs+QuickTime+zero-day+flaw/2100-1002_3-6180679.html
Apple on Tuesday released a QuickTime update to fix a security flaw that
was used to breach a MacBook Pro at a recent security conference.
The media player vulnerability lies in QuickTime for Java, Apple said in
a security alert. The hole could be exploited through a rigged Web site
and let an attacker commandeer computers running both Mac OS X and
Windows, the Mac maker said.

6)
What is Fair Use really??
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/copyrightleft2.html
The fair-use doctrine, allows reproduction of copyrighted works for noncommercial purposes like "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research." But there is the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's "safe harbor" provision.

7)
The Women Who Drive Library Technology
http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6435535.html
The piece points out how often professors told many of the women that they were unfit for jobs in engineering and computer science. But it also demonstrates how far library schools have come in embracing technology and information-literacy training.

8)
Washington post article reports unique threats women bloggers face. The article highlights the poor treatment of women on-line often happens offline. Women are being intimidated - they include ACADEMICS, PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMERS [emphasis added other women normally UNAFRAID to speak their minds.] ~ anon
Here's the url:  http://tinyurl.com/yrvgmb
Shocking:
> A 2005 study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project found that
> the proportion of Internet users who took part in chats and
> discussion groups plunged from 28 percent in 2000 to 17 percent in
> 2005, entirely because of the exodus of women.
-Robert Scoble's sentiment/warning:
> Robert Scoble, a technology blogger who took a week off in
> solidarity with Sierra, said women have told him that harassment is
 ...snip...
>... up for networking events, either offline or
> online, then they're never going to be included in the industry,"
> he said.
Alienating Women / Girls / Women Teachers / Women Geeks
who are standing their ground in the face of these kind of attacks, the
article points out that it's not just one or two offensive comments
that put a blogger off blogging, for example, but a constant,
relentless attitude of attack.
- It's one of the most disturbing trends in this whole 'web 2.0' thing.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Technology/Tools.html
Alienating women from participation doesn't just affect the "gender vs. gender" equality issue - it affects diversity as a whole. and without diversity, we all stand to fail.

9)
DVD DRM row sparks user rebellion - you can't censor the internet.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/drm2.html
Readers did not 'dig' censorship
Attempts to gag the blogosphere from publishing details of a DVD crack have led to a user revolt. The row centred on a 'cease and desist' letter sent by the body that oversees the digital rights management technology on high-definition DVDs. It requested that blogs and websites removed details of a software key that breaks the encryption on HD-DVDs. The removal of the information from community news website Digg was a step too far for its fans. As quickly as stories relating to the issue were removed, they were re-submitted in their thousands, in an act described by one user as a "21st Century revolt".
Is resisting overbroad copyright laws in the moral equivalent of
opposing  tyranny, racism or slavery?
The Key in White numbers and Letters
EFF's Fred von Lohmann has posted a little legal primer on the HD-DVD key.
Last 24 hours

10)
Homeless man disrupts Internet2 service
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/050207-internet2-fire.html
A fire started by a homeless man knocked out service between Boston and
New York on the experimental Internet2 network Tuesday night.

11)
Estimates Put T.J. Maxx Security Fiasco At $4.5 Billion
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199203277

12)
Blackberry maker RIM's outage spreads to Europe and mid-East

13)
Libraries Renew Push Against Secret Orders
http://web1.ala.org/ala/washoff/washevents/nlld/nlld2007.cfm?CFID=6293561&CFTOKEN=8425821