[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 9, No. 6

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Nabble" <ml-node+3172864-337556105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 05:55:08 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:25:42 -0600
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 9, No. 6

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 9, No. 6

February 24, 2010

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the

Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

I appreciate all the feedback I get on the Newsletter, including new ideas.  It is not always easy to convey one's true meaning in email, so I sometimes may confuse or mislead you.  One reader understandably was taken aback from a statement in my last issue when in an item on violating social norms I linked to a picture of an actress with hairy legs.  I then said, "If you can stomach it, click on a link in the above article to see a picture."  As I told this reader, that line (if you can stomach it) was meant as a joke.  I was gently poking fun at some of our silly cultural norms.  Many other cultures have no problem with women's body hair.  But, of course, in email it is not always easy to convey subtle humor.  Perhaps long time subscribers have a sense of my perspective on things, but newer subscribers may not.  Sorry for any confusion.

On to more important stuff...as you may remember from the last issue, subscriber Nora Murphy asked for some other ideas to illustrate the concept of priming in her courses.  Nora presented a list of words related to tides but that did not include the word "tide."  She then asked her class to write down what detergent they use (after some filler tasks).  Students overwhelming reported "Tide."  But many students were skeptical that this is the result of priming.  Perhaps that is just the detergent most of them use.  So, Nora asks, how else can she present the concept?

Subscriber Larry White suggests that Nora include a control group who was not primed with tide-related words.  Similarly, subscriber Diane Sunar suggests that half the class receive one type of prime and the other half receive a different type of prime.  Then you could compare the results.  However, in both cases, the priming words could no longer be presented aurally.  But it could still work.  Half the class could be given a list of tide-related words on a sheet of paper initially handed to them face down. The other half would get a different list.  (For example, in the original DRM false memory studies (e.g., http://memory.wustl.edu/Pubs/1995_Roediger.pdf), one list included bed, rest, awake, tired, dream, wake, snooze, blanket, doze, slumber, snore, nap, peace, yawn, and drowsy.  A large % of participants falsely reported that the word "sleep" was in the list.)  Either immediately or after a filler task, students could be asked two questions: 1) Was the word "sleep" in the list of words you just read? and 2) What detergent do you use?  Then reveal the two lists and find out how students in each group answered the two questions.  Actually, Question 1 will probably work better if you also pick a couple of words on the "sleep" list and a couple of non-sleep-related words that were not on the list.  In other words, ask them whether or not the following five words were on their list, and then ask them what detergent they use.

Or, you could spread the demo out over the term, doing the second part when you are ready to talk about priming.  I just love the "clean spirit" priming studies in which a below-threshold cleaning smell in a room primed participants to give more cleaning-related responses.  Earlier in the term you could have students perform the word completion task in Experiment 1 of the cleaning study (which can be found at http://www.ru.nl/contents/pages/299083/96aritkelpsych_science_clean_spirit.pdf).  Then, later in the term, after spraying a faint cleaning smell in the room before students arrive(!), repeat the word completion task.  The differences in the above study were quite large between the experimental and control conditions, so you might find such an effect.  Or, you can try the task in Experiment 2.  Or, you can bring and hide a freshly baked plate of chocolate chip cookies into class the second day and see if they respond differently to hunger-related questions or requests than they did to the same questions/requests earlier in the semester.  (If you try this last idea, and it works, please send me a dozen chocolate chip cookies as a thank you.  Actually, send four dozen, and I will send a dozen to Nora, Larry, and Diane as well.  That's a joke.  See above.)

Class Assignments http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/assignments.htm

General: Variety of assignments http://psyc336.stasson.org/lectsyl.pdf

Mark Stasson offers a variety of assignments in his Social Psychology syllabus.

General: Six short essays http://www.devpsy.org/teaching/social_psychology/social_psychology_graduate_core.html

Several interesting essay assignments from Kevin Grobman's graduate Social Psychology course

Presentation: Readings article talk http://www.ubishops.ca/outlines/winter2009/pdf/psy246.pdf

Scroll down this syllabus to find assignment from Leo Standing's Social Psychology II course in which students present a research article accompanied by PowerPoint slides.

Activities and Exercises

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/activities.htm

Attraction and Relationships: Conversational Analysis http://tinyurl.com/y8hqnfj

http://ocw.nd.edu/sociology/introduction-to-social-psychology/lectures/class-conversation-structure

Here is an activity from Jessica Collett's Social Psychology course in which students analyze possible conversations they might have.  The first link takes you to the activity; the second link takes you to some background info on conversational structure.

Conformity: Authority in the classroom

Joe Wayand passed along this activity he conducts in his classroom: When I cover the Milgram experiment, I show some of the original Obedience film (most libraries have it). [Ed. note: Or you can show the segment on Milgram's studies from the "The power of the situation" episode in the Discovering Psychology series which is freely available online at http://www.learner.org/vod/vod_window.html?pid=1516.] I make sure that I will run out of class time before I run out of video.  Then I tell students "I know we're almost out of time, but I want you to stay and watch the rest of the video."  Then at about 1 minute past, I again say "I know we're running late, but it's important that you watch the rest of the video."  The students are very restless at this point, but typically they will stay seated. 3 minutes past... 4 minutes past...  Often I have to "let them off the hook" by parroting the language of the experimenter:  "It is essential that you remain until the video has ended."  "After the video is over, I will rewind the video and we'll continue watching from the beginning."   Finally it will dawn on a student that I am tricking them.  As that first student gets up to leave, I yell:  "Sit down! You must remain and watch the video!"  The student usually keeps leaving, and I keep yelling.  "I'm Dr. Wayand! I demand that you return to your seat!"  At this point, half the students are smiling, and the other half are horrified.   Eventually they get the joke, and I continue ordering them to return as they all file out of the classroom. This really gives the students a personal taste of the conformity that's all around us. They understand it's not just "other people" who are subject to conformity. At the start of the next class, we discuss what it felt like, etc. You have to be a little brave to try this stunt, but the students really remember it.

Social Beliefs: Eyewitness memory tests http://teachpsych.pbworks.com/Memory-in-the-Classroom

Two good eyewitness video activities that you can easily conduct in class

Social Psychology and the Sustainable Future: Several activities http://www.teachgreenpsych.com/tg_socialpsychology.html#link

Examples

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/examples.htm ;

Gender and Culture: Pink (and less powerful) science equipment http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/12/the_powerlessness_of_pink.php

"This is a page from a Toys 'R Us catalog, illustrating some science toys, and note the odd distinctions being made. Both the telescope and the microscope come in special pink versions ... and note also ... that in every case the pink model is less powerful than the black and gray model."

Helping: Guilt http://tinyurl.com/yefftvc

Fascinating story of Aki Ra who was forced at age 5 to plant land mines for the Khmer Rouge.  "Ra regretted what he had done during his time in the Khmer Rouge—and he vowed to spend the rest of his life making it up to his fellow Cambodians. He remembered where he had buried many of the land mines, and knew how to quickly and safely disarm them. So, armed only with a metal detector, a small pocketknife, and several other small tools, he began locating land mines on the ground and disarming them by hand....So, for more than 20 years, Ra has traveled through the Cambodian countryside, disarming thousands of active mines and leading safety education programs for villages. Though the mines are filled with TNT and could detonate at any second, Ra has never been injured in his work."

Prejudice: Competition http://tinyurl.com/ybuzpxo

Apparently, they don't like short-track skater Apolo Anton Ohno very much in South Korea.  I can't help it -- I keep calling him Yoko.

Online Lectures http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/lecture.htm

Most topics (sociological social psychology) - Instructor: Jessica Collett http://ocw.nd.edu/sociology/introduction-to-social-psychology/lectures/lectures-and-materials

Most topics - Instructor: Dan Gigone http://www.homepage.montana.edu/~dgigone/social/

Most topics - audio lectures - Instructor: Dacher Keltner http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978522

Most topics - audio lectures - Instructor: John F. Kihlstrom http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details_new.php?seriesid=2010-B-74441&semesterid=2010-B

Articles http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/articles.htm

Attraction and Relationships: Happiness reduces the value of familiarity http://psy2.ucsd.edu/~pwinkiel/devries-winkielman_warm-glow_ONLINE-FIRST.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/yasge9v

"In a series of experiments, researchers compared participant reactions to familiarity under happy, sad, and neutral mood conditions. In the first experiment, they found that under general conditions, when the mood variable was not manipulated one way or another, people prefered familiarity. But following experiments showed that sad participants strongly preferred familiarity over the neutral condition (indicated in both self-reports and facial electromyography – EMG). Happiness, however, eliminated this preference. It’s worth noting that happiness did not in any way reduce the level of familiarity – it simply reduced its value (decreased the 'warmth of its glow')." The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Helping: Clean scents promote altruism http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/facBios/file/Smell%20of%20Virtue%20Psych%20Sci.pdf

http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2010/02/the_english_language_is_full.php

So, I mentioned the cool cleaning smell priming study above.  Well, here's another.  "Two experiments demonstrated that clean scents not only motivate clean behavior, but also promote virtuous behavior by increasing the tendency to reciprocate trust and to offer charitable help."  I'm going to start carrying some Febreeze with me wherever I go. The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Persuasion: Sin taxes versus subsidies http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/02/04/0956797610361446.full.pdf?rss=1

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/2010/02/salvo-in-calorie-war.cfm

Clever study which asked are you more likely to change people's healthy shopping behavior by taxing the unhealthy or subsidizing the healthy food.  "To put it bluntly, taxes worked and subsidies did not."  The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Social Beliefs: "How framing affects our thought processes"

http://davidhardisty.info/downloads/2010-ADirtyWordOrADirtyWorld-HardistyJohnsonWeber.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/yky6fw2

"David Hardisty and colleagues have dug a little deeper into framing, to show first, that these kinds of effects can interact with people's political persuasion, and second, that they can act by altering the order of people's thoughts." The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Topic Resources http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/topics.htm

Aggression: Dominance/disadvantage in movies Avatar/Blind Sides http://tinyurl.com/yb8sveg

Aggression/Prejudice: "Turkish girl, 16, buried alive for talking to boys" http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/04/girl-buried-alive-turkey

Conflict and Peacemaking: The conflict in Northern Ireland http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/northern_ireland/understanding/

http://www.cmp.ucr.edu/exhibitions/hidden/links.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/ira/

More resources from BBC News Online (first link), The Art Gallery, University of Maryland (second link), and PBS (third link)

Conformity: Coordinated behavior among humans and other animals http://tinyurl.com/ydp85gh

Interesting blog entry describing why animals evolved the ability to coordinate novel behaviors, such as the fascinating video included of a flock of starlings avoiding a predator

Conformity: "Public behavior in private spaces" http://tinyurl.com/yhwzfec

For example, how do mall rules affect behavior?

Gender and Culture: Men and marriage http://nortonbooks.typepad.com/everydaysociology/2010/02/men-and-marriage.html

A blog entry comments on recent research: "A recent Pew Research report indicates that there has been a major reversal: according to their analysis, men actually benefit financially more from marriage than women do."

Gender and Culture/Persuasion: Anti-smoking ad in France http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/world/europe/24france.html?hp

"A new French antismoking advertisement aimed at the young that plays off a pornographic stereotype has gotten more attention than even its creators intended, and critics suggest that it offends common decency and creates a false analogy between oral sex and smoking."

Gender and Culture/Prejudice: "The look of young Hollywood" http://socialpsychologyeye.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/the-look-of-young-hollywood/

"This month Vanity Fair magazine released their Young Hollywood issue, featuring celebrities that they proclaim are the new wave in Hollywood. However, a quick glance at the cover reveals that their selections seem to be particularly homogenous: all of the picks are attractive, thin, white, and female."

Group Influence: Going with the social flow http://tinyurl.com/ykhch99

"The key finding is that the participants in the high interdependent condition were rated as more joyful than participants in the low interdependence condition, based on self-report and on scores given by trained observers who watched their facial expressions and body language."

Helping/Prejudice: Differences in empathy or us-vs-them mentality http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/empathic-myopia-by-digby-glenn.html

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/02/14/haiti/index.html

Two interesting essays on how broadly we extend our empathy to "others"

Prejudice: The "Guido" stereotype on the TV show "Jersey Shore" http://socialpsychologyeye.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/the-situation-with-the-jersey-shore/

Prejudice: Colorism and light-skinned Blacks http://tinyurl.com/yclftvw

Psychology in the Courtroom: Race and gender of judges matters http://tinyurl.com/yl2jdp8

Social Beliefs: Jumping to quick conclusions in the Alabama shooting http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/201002/shoot-first-ask-questions-later

Subscriber Sam Sommers provides some more good social psychological commentary on a current news tragedy.

Social Beliefs: Doubting your doubt = confidence? http://tinyurl.com/yl4tw6o

If you doubt your doubt you will be more confident than if you are confident in your doubt?  So the study says. "For instance, by turning a belief that one is definitely going to fail into a belief that one might fail, a therapist could help inspire a client to overcome the paralysis of hopelessness."

Social Beliefs: "'Counterfactual' thinkers are more motivated and analytical http://tinyurl.com/yhavs4q

Social Beliefs: The Ellen Langer story http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/02/21/mind_power/

Interesting article about Ellen Langer and some of her fascinating research

Technology in Teaching http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/technology.htm

Images

Conflict and Peacemaking: Images from Bloody Sunday http://www.cmp.ucr.edu/exhibitions/hidden/tour/intro.html

"Hidden Truths: Bloody Sunday, 1972 probes one of the great tragedies of recent Irish-Anglo history, the shooting by British soldiers of Irish civil rights protesters in Derry, Ireland, on Sunday, January 30, 1972."

Video

Aggression: Anti-teenage dating violence ad http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8515601.stm

In the U.K., "An advertising campaign is being launched to raise awareness of domestic violence in teenage relationships."

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?  Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them.  Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?

Particular topics you are interested in?  Teaching tips? Technology tips?  I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs.

So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me

(jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL  60540

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2010.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.  Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to unsubscribe from the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/signoff/socialpsy-teach

How to change subscription options:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of this Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
North Central College