[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 9, No. 5

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Nabble" <ml-node+3172864-337556105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:24:38 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:18:39 -0600
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 9, No. 5

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 9, No. 5

January 29, 2010

Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

As I mention at the end of each Newsletter, I take requests.  Questions you have for the group, or resources you would like to find?  Let me know.  Here is such a request from subscriber Nora Murphy: I have a request for the request line. I was wondering about how others teach about priming, particularly in their Intro classes. In the past, I have used the example of providing the students with a list of words related to tides (without the actual word "tide") and then having them write down what detergent they use (after filler tasks). The example always works - students overwhelmingly report "Tide." However, a lot of the students refuse to acknowledge the priming effect, arguing that Tide is the most common detergent used. I get similar reactions to other priming studies (e.g., the Bargh et al. 1996 study on priming older adult stereotypes, and then participants walking more slowly to the elevator). Students just cannot seem to grasp that priming was the mechanism that caused the effect. I'd be curious to know about how others teach this concept and particularly about any in-class demonstrations. Good question.  Please send me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) any of your experiences or ideas or demos on priming and I will post them in the next issue.

Class Assignments

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/assignments.htm

Discussion and Question-asking: Minutes of group meetings

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Brain-and-Cognitive-Sciences/9-70Spring-2009/Assignments/index.htm

Study groups are a central part of this OpenCourseWare social psychology course at MIT.  To encourage and assess the quality of discussion in those groups, the follow assignment is given: "Each week, each study group is responsible for preparing and submitting to the instructors – via email – a brief (1-2 page) collaborative report, henceforth referred to as "study group meeting minutes."

Activities and Exercises

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/activities.htm

Helping: Bystander intervention lesson

http://contentbuilder.merlot.org/toolkit/html/snapshot.php?id=49978700419868

Social Beliefs/Judgments: False memories and schemas

https://sbhs-sbhsd-ca.schoolloop.com/blogdocs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= m2nEM-oT0Kw&feature=related

http://web.mac.com/r.theodore/Site/ PSY_LIN_U610_files/Roediger%20&%20McDermott%20(1995).pdf

Here's a link to a nice PowerPoint presentation from subscriber Chuck Schallhorn in which he has adapted Drew Appleby's demo on false memories.  The second link is to a video by Chuck describing how he uses the demonstration.  The original demo is based off the study by Roediger & McDermott (1995) which was modeled after a study by Deese (1959).  The third link takes you to the Roediger and McDermott study.

Examples

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/examples.htm ;

Conflict and Peacemaking: Tragedy of the commons

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/how_bad_for_the_environment_can

Amusing example from The Onion: "How bad for the environment can throwing away one plastic bottle be?" 30 million people wonder.

Conformity: Violating social norms

http://socialpsychologyeye.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/women-with-hairy-legs-%E2%80%93-an-oxymoron/

"The Daily Telegraph (and other media channels) reported that the actress Mo’Nique caused quite a stir at the Golden Globe Awards, not only for winning an award, but also for her ‘fashion faux pas’. That is, she had hairy legs."  If you can stomach it, click on a link in the above article to see a picture.

Gender and Culture/Prejudice: Social inequalities

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=123248

"Eight months after being raped, a 16-year-old at Khargor of Kasba upazila in Brahmanbaria had to receive 101 lashes as 'punishment.'"

Prejudice: Dehumanizing groups

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/01/23/bauer-stray/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/26/jon-stewart-blasts-gop-ca_n_436674.html

South Carolina Lt. Governor compares parents of children on free or reduced lunches to stray animals.  First link is to an article about it.  Second link is to a Daily Show video in which Jon Stewart takes him to task.

Online Lectures

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/lecture.htm

PowerPoint Slides: Most topics - instructor: James Shepperd

http://www.psych.ufl.edu/~shepperd/Social/PowerPoint%20Links.htm

Student Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/student.htm

Writing Resources: APA-style guides

http://www.apadiv2.org/otrp/resources/resources.php?category=Research%20and%20Teaching

New APA-style guides located at the Office of Teaching Resources in Psychology

Courses/Sites on the Web

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/sites.htm

Teaching Tips: Video lecture series

http://www.college.cengage.com/psychology/shared/guest_lecture/popup.html

A good set of video lectures on nearly 80 topics related to the teaching of psychology

Articles

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/articles.htm

Aggression: When does your boss want to hurt you?

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~nathanaf/power_incompetence_and_aggresssion.pdf

http://www.marshall.usc.edu/news/all-articles/why-bosses-go.htm

http://tinyurl.com/ygxatr5

"Four studies demonstrated that individuals with power become aggressive when they feel incompetent in the domain of power." First link is to the research article; second is to a press release about it; third is to a blog entry about it.

Aggression: Witnessing bullying can be harmful also

http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/spq-24-4-211.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/ybd6zrl

First link is to the research article; second link is to a blog entry about it.

Attraction and Relationships: What types of faces attract gay and straight men?

http://www.harvardscience.harvard.edu/culture-society/articles/face-it

"Gay men most attracted to most masculine faces; straight men most drawn to most feminine."

Attraction and Relationships: Stranger says: Want to go to bed with me? You say...

http://www.william-mckibbin.com/articles/Schutzwohl-et-al-2009.pdf

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/ugly-truth-about-one-night-stands-23934.html

Remember the classic study in which an opposite-sex stranger asked random people after only a brief two-sentence introduction if they a) wanted to go out, b) go back to their apartment, or c) go to bed with them?  This is a very clever followup to that study.  The first link is to the research article; second link is to a blog entry about it.  Amazing what they found.

Social Judgment: Priming of achievement + fun = ?

http://www.psych.uiuc.edu/~dalbarra/pubs/The%20Effects%20of%20Chronic%20Achievement%20Motivation.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/ye2zqoc

Fascinating study in which high or low achievement-motivation participants were primed with high achievement words prior to completing a word-search puzzle that was either described "as a serious test of verbal proficiency" or as "fun."  Normally, high achievement priming led high achievement participants to work even harder and perform better than low achievement participants.  However, when the task was described as "fun," the opposite results were found.  The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Topic Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/topics.htm

Aggression: Making psychological violence illegal?

http://tinyurl.com/yh2sjp5

"French lawmakers intend to pass a controversial bill that will ban “psychological violence” in marital (or cohabitation) relationships."

Aggression/Prejudice:  Ethnic cleansing in America?

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/banished/

"From the 1860s to the 1920s, towns across the U.S. violently expelled African American residents.  Today, these communities remain virtually all white."

Attraction and Relationships/Genes, Gender, and Culture: Sexual infidelity

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/2010/01/revisiting-green-monster.cfm

"Research has documented that most men become much more jealous about sexual infidelity than they do about emotional infidelity. Women are the opposite, and this is true all over the world." The prevailing theory is an evolutionary one: "Men learned over eons to be hyper-vigilant about sex because they can never be absolutely certain they are the father of a child, while women are much more concerned about having a partner who is committed to raising a family." This new research, however, suggests a different explanation.

Conformity: Fewer calories consumed after calorie information posted in restaurants

http://www.docuticker.com/?p=31129

Culture: Comparing countries along five cultural dimensions

http://www.geert-hofstede.com/hofstede_dimensions.php

Geert Hofstede provides an easy way to compare different countries along his five dimensions of culture such as individualism and power distance.  H/t to subscriber Jess Hartnett.

Gender, Genes, and Culture: Do girls develop math anxiety from female teachers?

http://tinyurl.com/yl37cf6

Not a causal study, but it raises some interesting questions. If 90% of elementary teachers are female, and many of them are anxious or uncomfortable with math, how might that affect young girls?

Gender, Genes, and Culture: "How objectification silences women"

http://tinyurl.com/y8vz354

"Leading a team of Israeli and US psychologists, she has shown that women become more silent if they think that men are focusing on their bodies. They showed that women who were asked to introduce themselves to an anonymous male partner spent far less time talking about themselves if they believed that their bodies were being checked out. Men had no such problem. Nor, for that matter, did women if they thought they were being inspected by another woman."

Persuasion/Social Judgment: "Death" warnings increase smoking?

http://tinyurl.com/ydqdfef

According to this study, for those whose self-esteem is tied to smoking, encountering threatening messages about smoking increases the tendency to smoke.

Prejudice: "Gay teen worried he might be Christian"

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/gay_teen_worried_he_might_be

Very amusing Onion article

Prejudice: Americans prejudiced towards Muslims, Jews

http://tinyurl.com/ye2euan

http://www.muslimwestfacts.com/mwf/125318/Religious-Perceptions-America.aspx

"A poll about Americans' views on Islam concludes that the strongest predictor of prejudice against Muslims is whether a person holds similar feelings about Jews." The first link is to an article about the survey.  The second link is to the survey itself.

Prejudice: Banning the full facial veil in France

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/world/europe/27france.html?hp

"A fractured panel of French legislators endorsed the idea of a ban on full facial veils in government offices, public hospitals and mass transit, while the Parliament remains deeply divided over the effectiveness and constitutionality of such a law."

Prejudice: "Mexico City enacts first gay marriage law"

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=7193927

Mexico City "hopes to attract same-sex couples from around the world to wed" ... but...

Prejudice: "Married Malawian gay couple face test"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/01/malawi-gay-couple-married-test

...not so much in Malawi.

Prejudice: "Italy 'to open first prison for transgender inmates'"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8455191.stm

Prejudice: In UK, call to ban race and gender info in CVs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jan/01/job-discrimination-anonymous-cvs-report

Prejudice: Basketball league for Whites only

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2010/01/19/nba_563760.shtml

Prejudice: Ease of processing affects prejudice?

http://tinyurl.com/yzlhmf3

"The researchers said their finding showed prejudice against migrants can partly be explained by the cognitive awkwardness of thinking about a person who lives in one place but hails from another."

Prejudice/The Self: "Census figures challenge views of race and ethnicity"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us/22census.html

Psychology in the Courtroom: "The ominous power of confession"

http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2010/01/the_ominous_power_of.html

This blog entry discusses an article which describes "125 proven cases of wrongful conviction in the US justice system where the accused made a false confession."

Social Beliefs: Be a good lie detector? Don't mimic

http://tinyurl.com/y9djrf6

Fascinating study: "So while the dozens of tricks employed in Lie To Me can help true experts detect lies, this simple study seems to show that simply telling interviewers not to mimic the behavior of the people they are talking to can make them much better at detecting lies."

Social Beliefs: Confirmation bias

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2010/01/cable_news.php

This blog entry provides a nice summary of some confirmation bias research, including a recent one which found that global news consumers selected the news outlet that fit their political attitudes.  Interestingly, the study found that "The longer participants had been watching AJE (Al-Jazeera English), the less dogmatic they were in their thinking...The reduced dogmatism applies only to the cognitive levels of thinking, or the way in which people process new information."

Social Beliefs: U.S. still a "fearful nation"

http://wiredcampus.chronicle.com/article/Still-Fearful-After-All-These/63508/

Barry Glassner, author of The Culture of Fear, claims we are still a fearful nation in this interesting essay, and he discusses the consequences of that.

Social Beliefs: Processing fluency and judgment

http://tinyurl.com/yb4rmam

I have shared a number of studies recently which have found that, for example, if instructions are in an easier-to-read font, we assume the task will be easier to complete.  The more fluently we can process information the more favorably we respond to it.  This article summarizes a lot of that research.

Technology in Teaching

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/technology.htm

Video

Aggression: "The psychology of violence"

http://webcast.rice.edu/index.php?action=details&event=400

A lecture from subscriber David Schneider

Aggression/Gender and Culture: "Cougars" hunt young males

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,1,26600976-5006301,00.html

"A campaign that portrays single middle-aged women as cougars who prowl bars looking for sex with young men has landed Air New Zealand in hot water."

The Self: "The self and culture"

http://tinyurl.com/yac5thn

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?  Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try

and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them.  Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?  Particular topics you are interested in?  Teaching tips? Technology tips?  I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs.  So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL  60540

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2010.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.  Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to unsubscribe from the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/signoff/socialpsy-teach

How to change subscription options:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of this Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College

30 N. Brainard St.

Naperville, IL 60540

voice: (630)-637-5329 fax: (630)-637-5121

jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu