[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 14, No. 9

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold on IO Groups list <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 15:30:04 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 10:58:04 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 14, No. 9

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 14, No. 9

May 30, 2015

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Thanks to all of you who donated to the Kickstarter campaign for the movie about beliefs.  As a result, they met their goal.  Hopefully we get a good product out of it.

Activities and Exercises

Attitudes and Behaviors/Social Judgment/The Self: Moral judgments

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/ observer/2015/may-june-15/teaching-current-directions-
in-psychological-science-22.html#justification

Conformity/Persuasion: Noba Project video winners

http://nobaproject.com/student-video-award/winners

As you may remember, the Noba Project has recently started conducting annual student video award contests for brief clips illustrating psychlogical principles.  This year's theme was Social Influence.  Here are the winners.  You can also read about how your students can enter next year's contest.

Social Judgment: How powerful/useful is unconscious thought

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/
observer/2015/may-june-15/teaching-current-directions-in-
psychological-science-22.html#decision

Articles

Social Judgment: The power of echo chambers

http://tinyurl.com/nglwcuo

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150526100947.htm

A new study demonstrates the highly contentious debate on climate change is fueled in part by how information flows throughout policy networks."

Examples

Gender and Culture/Prejudice: Sexism in Hollywood

http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2015/05/21/3661676/ maggie-gyllenhaal-37-told-old-play-love-interest-55-year-old-man/

"Maggie Gyllenhaal, 37, told she was 'too old' to play the love interest of a 55-year-old man."

Social Judgment/Psychology in the Courtroom: Power of false memory

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/15/nyregion/witness-accounts-
in-midtown-hammer-attack-show-the-power-of-false-memory.html

Errors from witnesses in a New York City hammer attack

Topic Resources

Aggression: Australian anti-sexual harassment campaign

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/17/sexual-harassment-psa_n_6887934.html

Attraction and Relationships: How a perfume company convinced scientists of human pheromones

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/13/8202465/sex-pheromones

Conformity: Using prisons for ostracism

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/04/22/banishment/

Gender and Culture: Feminist cartoons

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/30/gemma-correll_n_6950674.html

Gender and Culture: "Are you beach body ready?"

http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2015/04/30/ 3653133/ad-asks-beach-body-ready-london-replies-screw/

I was born that way!  Unfortunately, it was all downhill after that.  Here is an interesting story about public response to an ad campaign in London.

Gender and Culture/Prejudice: "Middle school removes the word 'feminist' from girl's shirt in class photo"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/21/ sophie-thomas-feminist_n_7110882.html

She might has well have "terrorist" written on her shirt

General: "The social power of primates"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/ convention/the-social-powers-of-primates.html

Be sure to check out the 1936 video.

Prejudice: "The myth of the absent Black father"

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/01/16/ 3175831/myth-absent-black-father/

A report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Prejudice: Two women embracing on a train platform

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/09/ brazil-girls-train-platform_n_7036156.html

This picture has gone viral with a very interesting take

Prejudice: "A research contest for reducing implicit racial biases"

http://www.spsp.org/node/292

When this study comparing 17 different strategies for reducing prejudice came out last year I sent you a link to it.  Here is another nice recap with a good graphic.  The second link is to the research article.

Prejudice: "Multinational study uncovers widespread homophobia in sports"

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/05/14/ 3658545/report-finds-positive-signs-gays-lesbians-welcome-sports/

Prejudice: "Institutional racism by the numbers"

http://americablog.com/2015/05/institutional-racism-by-the-numbers.html

The Self: Feeling inauthentic

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/ hiding-your-true-colors-may-make-you-feel-morally-tainted.html

"Indeed, participants who wrote about a time they felt inauthentic in one online experiment reported feeling more out of touch with their true selves and more impure, dirty, or tainted than participants who wrote about a time when they felt authentic. They also reported lower moral self-regard, rating themselves as less generous and cooperative, for example, than the authentic participants."

Technology in Teaching

Video

Aggression: Sexual consent (2:51)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/14/
consent-tea_n_7282978.html

Excellent video explains consent by comparing it to asking for tea.

Aggression: "Cleveland Cavaliers arena video features man abusing his girlfriend"

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/05/07/3656246/ cleveland-cavaliers-playoff-video-features-man-throwing-
girlfriend-bulls-fan/

Perhaps they should have just shown the above tea video instead.

Attraction and Relationships: 100 years of Korean beauty in 1 minute (1:27)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/17/
100-years-of-korean-beauty_n_6887726.html

Gender and Culture: "SNL mocks superhero sexism" (3:00)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/03/
snl-black-widow-trailer_n_7199344.html

Amusing take on how female superheroes are treated differently than male ones

Gender and Culture: "Last F**kable Day" (4:57)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPpsI8mWKmg

Warning; Graphic language.  An amusing clip from Amy Schumer's show about how women are no longer "f**kable" after a certain age, while men remain so until they die

General: Talks at SPSP

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEz1DmN-1JlFPA9GeFqZC3w

Like me, have you (and your students) been unable to attend recent Society for Personality and Social Psychology conferences?  Well, here's video of several of the talks.

Prejudice: White on White violence (7:04)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdSsBYO1oNI#t=375

A spoof from Chris Hayes on the obsession with Black on Black violence

Prejudice: "Homeless people read mean tweets about themselves" (1:19)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/31/homeless-mean-tweets_n_6976920.html

Could be a powerful message

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would

like examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want

to tailor this newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests,

suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying

to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL 60540

jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2015.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller