[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 10, No. 7

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:13:57 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:00:36 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 10, No. 7

.

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

.

Vol. 10, No. 7

.

March  31, 2011

.

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the

Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

.

.

My colleague, Heather Coon, a couple students and I will be presenting a poster at APS on Friday afternoon on May 27.  Come by and say hello if you are attending.  Also, let me know if any of you are presenting there.

Activities and Exercises

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/activities.htm

Prejudice: Intergroup Monopoly

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2011winner.htm

Richard Harvey was the winner of this year's Social Psychology Network Action Teaching Award with this innovative game.  "Intergroup Monopoly is an action teaching game that modifies the classic Monopoly board game to explore the dynamics of group-based inequality. In Intergroup Monopoly, players begin with unequal amounts of money and are given individualized rules that reflect differing degrees of privilege or disadvantage."  Read more about it at the above link.

Prejudice: Foreign language exercises that promote diversity

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2011honor3.htm

Here is an honorable mention for the Social Psychology Network Action Teaching Award.  This is for language classes rather than psychology classes, but this person has created a lot of good activities that are worth sharing with language instructors at your school.

.

.

Class Assignments

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/assignments.htm

Project: The Voices Project

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2011honor1.htm

Here is an honorable mention for the Social Psychology Network Action Teaching Award. "

In the Voices Project, pairs of students are assigned to interview someone from a group toward which they have a negative attitude or a lack of familiarity (e.g., racial minorities, Muslims, people with AIDS). Students meet with their interviewee three times and focus particular attention on experiences that their interviewee has had being a target of prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination. In addition, students attend a cultural event related to the group they're seeking to understand. Based on these experiences, students then write a five-page autobiography of their interviewee from the first-person perspective. The project concludes by weaving the "voices" in these autobiographies into readable monologues that are performed in an event open to members of the campus and local community, thereby promoting greater intergroup awareness, perspective taking, and empathy beyond the classroom."

.

Project: Reducing prejudice -- a cultural learning experience

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2011honor4.htm

Here is an honorable mention for the Social Psychology Network Action Teaching Award.  "

This action teaching assignment involves three parts. First, students learn about implicit biases and take an Implicit Association Test that they believe might reveal a personal bias related to race or ethnicity. Second, students challenge their bias by immersing themselves in a cultural setting that allows for interaction with members of the group they have chosen (for example, someone with a bias concerning Asians might attend a Chinese New Year celebration, or someone with a bias concerning Arab Muslims might attend Islamic mosque services). Third, students interview one or two members of the selected group, asking questions such as: (a) "What does it mean to you to be a member of this cultural or ethnic group?" (b) "Have you been personally affected by prejudice and/or racism?" and (c) "What suggestions can you offer to encourage mutual respect among various cultural groups?" At the end of this experience, students submit a report summarizing what they learned and how they'll continue to challenge their biases and learn about different groups in the future."

.

Examples

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/examples.htm

Aggression/Genes, Gender, and Culture: Violence against women

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/29/bangladesh.lashing.death/index.html

The horrible story of a 14-year-old Bangladeshi girl who died from lashes after being charged with adultery

.

Gender and Culture: Objectification of women

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/26/abercrombie-padded-bikini-8-year-olds_n_841026.html

Abercrombie and Fitch has been criticized for selling padded bikinis to 8-year-olds.

Helping: Bystander intervention

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/04/man-survives-after-96-minutes-of-cpr/

Case of bystanders and a medical team helping a man survive despite going 96 minutes without a pulse

.

Prejudice: Minorities should accept superiority of majority/group in power

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2011/02/24/bryan-fischer-american-indians-should-have-assimilated-like-pocahontas/

Bryan Fisher of the American Family Association: “It’s arresting to think of how different the history of the American settlement and expansion could have been if the other indigenous peoples had followed Pocahontas’ example,” Fischer wrote in his Feb. 15 post. “She not only recognized the superiority of the God whom the colonists worshipped over the gods of her native people, she recognized the superiority (not the perfection) of their culture and adopted its patterns and language as her own. In other words, she both converted and assimilated. … Had the other indigenous people followed her example, their assimilation into what became America could have been seamless and bloodless. Sadly, it was not to be.”

.

.

The Self/Social Comparison: Adaptation-level phenomenon

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-serious-brain-injuries-associated.html

Research found that those with the more severe brain injuries reported greater life satisfaction.

The Self/Social Comparison: Adaptation-level phenomenon

http://www.fidelity.com/inside-fidelity/individual-investing/millionaire-outlook-2011

42% of millionaires don't feel wealthy; need more than 7 million to feel wealthy. I probably just need 4.8 mil.

.

The Self: False uniqueness effect

Is this as unusual as I think it is, or is it just another example of the false uniqueness effect?  I have now had each of my three children and my wife as students in my courses (each in different courses).  Is that the first time in the history of the world that has happened?

.

Articles

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/articles.htm

Conformity: Origins of cultural differences in conformity

http://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~schaller/MurrayTrudeauSchaller2011.pdf

.

Interesting research investigating the hypothesis that cultural differences in conformity "may reflect historical variability in the prevalence of disease-causing pathogens: Where pathogens were more prevalent, there were likely to emerge cultural norms promoting greater conformity."

Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment: Can lawyers predict case outcomes?

http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/law-16-2-133.pdf

http://chronicle.com/blogs/percolator/your-lawyer-is-wrong/24535

.

Here is another in a long line of research finding that professionals often err in their judgments and are often overconfident. The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about it.

Social Judgment: Regret aversion

http://arno.uvt.nl/show.cgi?fid=113718

"The current research finds that people are willing to forego a direct material gain, if that protects them from future regrets. In two experiments participants endowed with a lottery ticket were offered to exchange their ticket for another ticket from the same lottery. Even though they could receive a bonus for exchanging, many participants chose not to do so."

.

Topic Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/topics.htm

.

Aggression: The warmer the weather the more hit batters in baseball

http://bigblog.dukechronicle.com/news/heated-ball-games-2/

More significantly, "after a pitcher’s teammates have been hit at bat by the opposing team during a game, the pitcher is more likely to retaliate by hitting his opponents at higher temperatures."

.

Gender and Culture: Women on boards (in the UK)

http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore/business-law/docs/w/11-745-women-on-boards.pdf

"In 2010 women made up only 12.5% of the members of the corporate boards of FTSE 100 companies. This was up from 9.4% in 2004. But the rate of increase is too slow."  This report look at why this is and how the number might be increased.

.

Gender and Culture: "Women in America: Indicators of social and economic well-being"

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/Women_in_America.pdf

A report from the White House Council on Women and Girls

.

Gender and Culture: Women in U.S. still poorer despite massive strides

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/01/women-in-america-report_n_829691.html

"Despite massive strides, women still lag behind in America. Women have caught up in education and employment but still earn significantly less than men, and are more likely to live in poverty, according to a White House report released on Tuesday."

.

General: Mirror neurons and social behavior

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2011/march-11/reflections-on-mirror-neurons.html

Interesting review of what we know so far about mirror neurons -- if somewhat is watching you read this Newsletter right now, their mirror neurons may be firing!

.

General: Historical figures in social psychology

http://www.socialpsychology.org/social-figures.htm

.

Prejudice: Are the unemployed being discriminated against?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keli-goff/do-the-unemployed-face-mo_b_838828.html

.

Prejudice: Are Whites racially oppressed?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/21/white.persecution/index.html

.

Prejudice:  The Hillary Clinton effect

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2011/03/hillary-clinton-effect-how-role-models.html

"An antidote to stereotype threat is to remind people of high achieving members of their in-group. For example, reminding Black Americans of President Obama's success has been shown to improve their subsequent IQ test performance. Psychologists think this 'Obama effect' occurs because the role-model's salient success takes away the burden people feel of having to represent their group. A new study by Cheryl Taylor and colleagues has built on this literature by showing that the stereotype-busting effect of a role-model only occurs if that role-model's success is perceived as due to their own innate ability and effort. If the role-model is considered to have been lucky then their stereotype-busting power is lost. Taylor's team call this the Hillary Clinton effect."

.

Psychology in the Courtroom: The value of metaphors

http://jurylaw.typepad.com/deliberations/2011/02/ using-metaphorical-language-can-cure-an-ailing-case-research-proves-it.html

Interesting study looked at how metaphors can shape jurors' interpretations and preferences.

.

Psychology in the Courtroom: Criminal, legal and investigative psychology (CLIP)

http://www.clip.org.gu.se/english/

A fairly new site that contains information about forensic research and relevant stories in the media

.

Social Judgment: Stereotype of the driver with front-end car damage

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-small-talk/201103/dented-pride

Subscriber Sam Sommers shares another personal and enjoyable (for us, at least) anecdote in which he suffers the consequences of driving around in a car that has front end damage.  As he notes, if you drive a car with a beat up back bumper other drivers often think the offender was someone who ran into you, but if your front end is damaged....

.

Social Judgment: "Smells like safe sex"

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sex-murder-and-the-meaning-life/201103/smells-safe-sex

I've mentioned one of my favorite recent students before (Smells like clean spirit...) in which priming with a faint cleaning smell affected participants behavioral intentions and behavior.  I imagine we will get quite a few such smell-priming studies.  Here is another one in which priming with a putrid smell led more participants to say they would use condoms.  This would make a good hypothesis-generating exercise for your students: Can you generate a prediction of how a particular smell might prime particular attitudes, behaviors, or other outcomes?

.

Social Judgment: "Thinking for others can boost your creativity"

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-thinking-for-others-can-boost-your.html

.

Social Judgment/The Self: The signature effect

http://www.insideinfluence.com/inside-influence-report/2011/03/ what-is-the-hidden-influence-of-signing-your-name-the-signature-effect.html

This article looks at research studying how writing your signature may prime or activate your identify which can influence later decisions and behaviors.

.

The Self: LiveHappy -- an iPhone app to increase happiness

http://www.socialpsychology.org/action/2011honor2.htm

This application won honorable mention for the Social Psychology Network Action Teaching Award.  " LiveHappy is an iPhone application with modules featuring empirically validated happiness-boosting strategies such as keeping a gratitude journal, performing acts of kindness, and nurturing interpersonal relationships."

.

The Self: "Envy is a stronger motivator than admiration"

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2011/03/envy-is-stronger-motivator-than.html

.

.

Teaching Tips

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/sites.htm

Unconscious processes in teaching

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/ observer/2011/march-11/teaching-with-your-gut.html

Interesting discussion of how automatic processes play a role in teaching, and how understanding them can enhance your teaching

Technology in Teaching

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/technology.htm

.

.

Instructional Techniques

Designing your own online studies

http://www.thepsychfiles.com/video/OnlineExperiment.mp4

Subscriber Michael Britt

http://www.thepsychfiles.com/

demonstrates through an excellent video how to create an online experiment for free using Wix.com and Google Forms.  Your students could create online studies through this simple approach as well. Nice job, Michael.

.

.

Images

.

Large collection: Worth Publishers

http://worth.runtime.com/

Worth makes freely available hundreds of images in many of their textbooks.

.

"Most sexist product of all time?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/07/stuffed-girls-heads_n_832621.html

.

.

Video

.

Persuasion: Credibility of the source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNO2Kcvz2k&feature=player_embedded

I'm not clever enough to think of a good April Fool's Day prank to pull on you, but I share this one from 1957 by the BBC. "The fake footage was aired as a joke, but viewers called in to find out how they could grow their own spaghetti trees. Instead of coming clean, the BBC cheekily replied, "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

.

Prejudice: Harassment of Muslim-Americans

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/03/03/hatemongering/index.html

.

Prejudice: Huckleberry Finn and the N-word

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/60_minutes/video/ ?pid=1xNHd5lhIzfWMwqQlzR7NvHnsEXmhX1k&vs=homepage&play=true

60 Minutes had an interesting recent episode on the controversy about whether schools should use the new version of Huckleberry Finn which excludes the use of the N-word.  You can watch the entire episode here.

.

Prejudice: "Racist" rant from UCLA student

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/14/alexandra-wallace-racist-video_n_835505.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/19/alexandra-wallace-student_n_837925.html

This video has made the rounds quite a bit.  A student makes a spontaneous video about her experience with Asians in the library.  The first link is to the video; the second link is to an article describing her decision to leave the university.

.

Prejudice: Is Peter King an Islamophobe?

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/04/peter-king-video/

U.S. Representative Peter King recently held hearings on "The Extent of Radicalization in the American Muslim Community and that Community’s Response.”  Do the claims in this video along with the accompanying fact checks indicate bigotry in Peter King?

.

Social Judgment: Another change blindness video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWSxSQsspiQ&feature=player_embedded

From Dan Simon's "door" study

.

.

Social Judgment: Hindsight bias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSR-uefPmME

A skit from the comedy show MadTV in which a psychic is taken to task

.

.

How Do You ... ?

.

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?  Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

.

Request Line is Open!

.

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them.  Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?  Particular topics you are interested in?  Teaching tips? Technology tips?  I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs.  So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

.

.

.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

.

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL  60540

.

jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

.

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2011.

.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.  Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

.

.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:

Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

.

How to unsubscribe from the Newsletter:

Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/signoff/socialpsy-teach

.

How to change subscription options:

Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

.

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

.

===============

.