[net-gold] [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 10, No. 1

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:02:06 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:44:08 -0500
From: Jonathan Mueller <jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: socialpsy-teach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 10, No. 1

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 10, No. 1

September 24, 2010

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the

Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

A few items first.  Please take a look.

Item 1: Subscriber Catrin Finkenauer sent the following request: "I'm teaching an undergraduate course on interpersonal communication for psychologists next year. I’ve been trying to get my hands on material for such a class. Although there is some great research and I have found some material, most of what I was able to locate was mainly focused on communication scientists rather than psychologists. Also, I was unable to find exercises or activities on interpersonal communication, except for some great ice-breakers. So, if any of the readers on your list has taught this sort of course and would be willing to share his or her syllabus/reading list/activities or exercises with me, I would greatly appreciate it. Or, if they have any in press papers/chapters that they think might be of value in this sort of course, please send me them too. I'd be happy to summarize everything for the list." You can reply to Catrin at C.Finkenauer@xxxxxxxxx or send replies to me at jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxxx

tem 2: In the Common Sense Quiz found on the Resources website at

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/commonsenseno.htm

there is an item that some students emailed me about wondering if it was really "False" as listed in the answers to that quiz.  Item 26 states "Male-to-female relationship violence is much more common than female-to-male relationship violence."  I said I would ask this group if you knew of any research that suggested the statement was true or false.  Anyone have an answer?  If so, email me at jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxxx Thanks in advance for any help.

Item 3: In the last issue I mentioned that I would adapt subscriber Kristie Campana's first-day-of-class survey to collect some data from students to use to illustrate concepts later in the term.  Well, I administered that survey, and I wanted to share the survey and my results with you. Just like Kristie, I handed out two versions of the survey:

Version 1 - http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/ crow/social%20psychology%20survey1.pdf

Version 2 - http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/ crow/social%20psychology%20survey2.pdf

I used some of Kristie's items (thank you again, Kristie) and created a few of my own.   I want to explain what items I included and why, and share the results, but that would take too much space in the Newsletter.  So, follow the link below to read about the survey.  Feel free to give me any feedback about my questions, or suggest adaptations to the questions, or suggest new items.  I welcome any comments or questions. Description of survey and results - http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/surveydescription.pdf Update: When (if) you read the results in the above link, you will see that Q11 and Q12 related to the cool cleaning smell priming research that I tried to replicate.  Unfortunately, the cleaning smell was not strong enough today, and I found no difference between the two conditions.  Next time...super strong!

Item 4: International Student "Exchange"?  A couple years ago I attempted to arrange some kind of joint class project or assignment with another social psychology course in a different country.  Unfortunately, that didn't pan out.  However, I still would like my students to interact with students from a different country, so I am going to try this again.  I will be teaching social psychology in the spring, specifically from March 28 to June 8, 2011.  Any subscribers outside of the United States who would be interested in collaborating on some kind of joint class project in which your students would electronically interact with my students for perhaps a two- or four-week period during that time slot?  I am open to all kinds of possibilities.  However, your students would have to be fairly fluent in English.  If you are possibly interested or know someone who might be, drop me a line at jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxxx

Activities and Exercises

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/activities.htm

Conformity: Obedience to authority, normative and informational influence, all in one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o153Gnl2zTo

Subscriber Jim Matiya passed along this interesting and effective activity he adapted from one by Gerry Palmer.  You can watch the video at the above link to see how Jim actually carries it out. "Using masking tape, I laid out the corners of a box about 4 X 4. I show a slide that has this statement in a powerpoint, 'Research on social influence indicates that when we are unsure about our judgements, we are likely to adjust them toward the group standard.' I asked for 4 volunteers to do an activity. No description of the activity was given. I asked them to leave the class and go to the hallway. They were asked to decide who was volunteer #1, #2, #3, and

#4. I went back to the class. Writing and drawing on the board, I told the class my prediction of the demonstration.  I then lowered the screen covering my predictions. I also asked them to please try and not laugh nor give any hints to the volunteers.

I went to the hallway and asked person #1 to come inside. I said to person #1. 'I have a box drawn on the floor. Please stand inside the box.' I went back to the hallway and got person #2. 'I have a box drawn on the floor. Please stand inside the box.'  (this is so crazy. I did this demo in four classes. For classes 2 & # 3, I never had to say anything!) The volunteers looked at #1 and then took a position in the box, facing the same way! I went to the hallway and asked person #3 to come inside. 'I have a box drawn on the floor. Please stand inside the box.'  With three people standing in the box, I asked them to turn around and face the board. Then I told them that after #4 was in the box, wait about ten seconds, then turn around and face the class. I went to the hallway and asked person #4 to come inside. In the four times I did this demo, I never had to say to #4, 'I have a box drawn on the floor. Please stand inside the box.' So, I just watched and observed. Just as I predicted, all the people were in different corners and facing the board. Then, volunteers # 1, 2, and 3 all turned and faced the class. #4 didn't know what to do, so he faced the class as well. The class went wild!! They loved it. It was like the Allen Funt elevator clips, which I then showed."

If you don't have access to the Candid Camera clip Jim refers to or if you haven't seen it before, it is worth viewing and can be found here

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/710170/.

Examples

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/examples.htm

Conformity: Violating societal norms: Exposing grandfathers!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/ world/la-fg-china-bellies-20100821,0,4939438.story

Not as bad as it sounds - but an interesting story

Helping: Identifiable victim bias

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/the-identifiable-victim-bias/

Why are we more willing to empathize with and help a few dozen stranded miners in Chile than the millions affected by the recent flooding in Pakistan?  This article suggests it is, in part, because of the miners are more clearly identifiable.

Prejudice: Outgroup homogeneity effect

http://townhall.com/columnists/CalThomas/2010/09/14/purging_evil/page/2

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201008180027

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/ glenn_greenwald/2010/08/23/park51/index.html

They all look alike, they all think alike, they all act alike.  Columnist Cal Thomas puts forth the view shared by many that Muslims are taking over.  They all have the same goal.  The second link is to another example from Glenn Beck.  The third link is to an essay from Glenn Greenwald illustrating the same point.

Prejudice: Nightclub: "No fat girls allowed!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/13/muzique-montreal-nightclu_n_681172.html

Prejudice: Ingroup/outgroup bias and American exceptionalism

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/09/18/taliban

Prejudice/Social Judgment: Did "cult-like" group commit suicide?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/19/california.missing.group/index.html?npt=NP1

You may have heard this story recently in the news in which "a group of 13 Salvadoran immigrants missing in southern California amid fears that they planned a cult-like mass suicide have been found alive, unhurt and upset to find they were the subjects of an extensive search."  Why was there an assumption that they might be out somewhere committing mass suicide?  Is that what we think all "cult-like" groups are capable of?  Thinking about?  Are we overestimating the few vivid instances in which that has occurred?  What makes this group "cult-like" anyway?  Some video included.

Prejudice: Overt discrimination

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/08/27/nettleton-school-racism/

At Mississippi middle school, only Whites can run for president.

Articles

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/articles.htm

Helping/Social Judgment: "Oxytocin makes people trusting, not gullible"

http://www.psor.ucl.ac.be/personal/
corneille/documents/Oxytocin_Trust.pdf

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ the-good-life/201008/oxytocin-increases-trust-not-gullibility

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100824103535.htm

The first link is to the research article; the second link is to a blog entry about the research; the third link is to a news article about it.

The Self: Does money buy happiness?

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/08/27/1011492107.abstract

Specifically, does higher income improve life satisfaction? Yes.  Does higher income increase emotional well-being? No, according to this research.

Student Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/student.htm

Careers in Psychology: Developing a psychology career focus

http://tinyurl.com/27jfxtm

Study Resources: "Nine evidence-based study tips"

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/
2010/09/9-evidence-based-study-tips.html

Writing Resources: The quality of "paper mill" papers

http://danariely.com/2010/09/15/ new-school-year-plagiarism-and-essay-mills/

Dan Ariely and Aline Grüneisen ran an interesting test on what you get for your money at paper mills.

Topic Resources

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/topics.htm

Attraction and Relationships: Online dating

http://www.spring.org.uk/2010/09/
online-dating-10-psychological-insights.php

This blog entry provides a good compilation of recent research on online dating.

Attraction and Relationships: Are we attracted to our relatives (and ourselves)?

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2010/09/
freud-was-right-we-are-attracted-to-our.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/
sexually-attracted-parents/story?id=11278652

Here is an interesting blog entry describing recent research suggesting that we are attracted to faces that look like ours and our relatives, perhaps suggesting that an incest taboo is "necessary" for that reason.  The second link takes you to a video story of a half-brother/half-sister who have fallen in love.

Conformity: "The significance of social structure"

http://nortonbooks.typepad.com/everydaysociology/
2010/09/the-significance-of-social-structure.html

A good essay on the role structure plays in our lives

Conformity: The evolution of Milgram's obedience studies

http://tinyurl.com/2evgcf4

An interesting description of some of Milgram's earlier thinking about how to test his ideas

Genes, Gender, and Culture: The glass cliff

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2010/09/
why-are-women-chosen-to-lead.html

"When women are appointed to leadership positions, it tends to be when an organisation is in crisis - a phenomenon known as the glass cliff." This blog entry describes some fascinating research: "Real life examples are supported by lab studies in which male and female participants show a bias for selecting female candidates to take charge of fictitious organisations in crisis. Further investigation has ruled out possible explanations for the glass cliff - it's not due to malicious sexism nor to women favouring such roles. Now a brand new study suggests the phenomenon occurs firstly, because a crisis shifts people's stereotyped view of what makes for an ideal leader, and secondly, because men generally don't fit that stereotype."

Genes, Gender, and Culture: Maybe they are on to something

http://www.bera.ac.uk/files/2010/09/boygirl1.pdf

In the UK, "girls believe they are better than boys by the age of four...Moreover, by the age of eight, boys appear to agree with their classmates, believing that girls are more likely to have what might be deemed the right qualities to do well at school. Children of both sexes also think that, in general, adults believe girls do better at school than boys."

Genes, Gender, and Culture: How do men and women respond to luck?

http://ftp.iza.org/dp5022.pdf

"We present experimental evidence which sheds new light on why women may be less competitive than men. Specifically, we observe striking differences in how men and women respond to good and bad luck in a competitive environment. Following a loss, women tend to reduce effort, and the effect is independent of the monetary value of the prize that the women failed to win. Men, on the other hand, reduce effort only after failing to win large prizes."

Genes, Gender, and Culture: Hourglass and stick figures

http://nortonbooks.typepad.com/everydaysociology/
2010/08/hourglass-and-stick-figures.html

Interesting blog entry on women and body image

Methods: What are online research participants really doing?

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/
2010/09/what-are-participants-really-up-to-when.html

Blog entry describes research on a new tool (a piece of computer code called UAT -- UserActionTracer) that permits online researchers to track the actions of the participants.

Prejudice: "Big racial gap in suspensions of middle school students"

http://tinyurl.com/24o2ba9

A report from the Southern Poverty Law Center

Prejudice: French pass ban on facial veils

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/14/
france-passes-full-islami_n_716449.html

"The French Senate on Tuesday overwhelmingly passed a bill banning the burqa-style Islamic veil on public streets and other places, a measure that affects less than 2,000 women but that has been widely seen as a symbolic defense of French values."  Is this a defense of values or an attack on a group? Is this pro-women or anti-women?

Prejudice: Expressions of Anti-Islam hate and pushbacks against it

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/09/13/extremists-islam-mainstream-americans/

Social Judgment: "Feeling clean makes us harsher moral judges"

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/
2010/08/feeling-clean-makes-us-harsher-moral.html

"Half the students were asked to clean their hands with an antiseptic wipe so as not to soil the shiny surfaces. Afterwards all the students rated the morality of six societal issues including pornography and littering. Those who'd wiped their hands made far harsher judgments than those who didn't."

Social Judgment: Estimating other people's drunkenness

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2010/08/
how-good-are-we-at-estimating-other.html

Can you estimate how good we are at estimating other people's drunkenness?  Read the blog entry and see if your prediction is correct.

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses?  Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them.  Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?  Particular topics you are interested in?

Teaching tips? Technology tips?  I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs.  So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and

resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL  60540

jfmueller@xxxxxxxxxx

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2010.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.  Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter: Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to unsubscribe from the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/signoff/socialpsy-teach

How to change subscription options:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/suboptions/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:

Go to

https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology