[net-gold] Teachers Wonder, Why the Scorn

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:06:21 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:01:44 -0400
From: Bonnie Bracey <BBracey@xxxxxxx>
To: sigil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wwwwwedu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
    Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Teachers Wonder, Why the Scorn

.

Teachers Wonder, Why the Scorn?
By TRIP GABRIEL
New York Times
www.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/education/03teacher.htm

.

The jabs Erin Parker has heard about her job
have stunned her. Oh you pathetic teachers,
read the online comments and placards of
counterdemonstrators. You are glorified baby
sitters who leave work at 3 p.m. You deserve
minimum wage.

.

You feel punched in the stomach, said Ms. Parker,
a high school science teacher in Madison, Wis.,
where public employees two-week occupation of the
State Capitol has stalled but not deterred the
governor's plan to try to strip them of
bargaining rights.
Ms. Parker, a second-year teacher making $36,000,
fears that under the proposed legislation class
sizes would rise and higher contributions to her
benefits would knock her out of the middle class.

I love teaching, but I have $26,000 of student
debt, she said. I'm 30 years old, and I can't save
up enough for a down payment for a house. Nor does
she own a car. She is making plans to move to
Colorado, where she could afford to keep teaching
by living with her parents.

.

Around the country, many teachers see demands to
cut their income, benefits and say in how schools
are run through collective bargaining as attacks
not just on their livelihoods, but on their value
to society.

.

Even in a country that is of two minds about
teachers Americans glowingly recall the ones who
changed their lives, but think the job with its
summers off is cushy education experts say
teachers have rarely been the targets of such
scorn from politicians and voters.

Republican lawmakers in half a dozen states are
pressing to unwind tenure and seniority protections
in place for more than 50 years.

.

Gov. Chris Christie's dressing down of New Jersey
teachers in town-hall-style meetings, accusing them
of greed, has touched a populist vein and made him
a national star.

.

Mayors are threatening mass layoffs, including in
New York City and in Providence, R.I., where all
1,926 teachers were told last week they would lose
their jobs a largely symbolic gesture since most
will be hired back.

.

Some experts question whether teaching, with its
already high attrition rate more than 25 percent
leave in the first three years will attract
high-quality recruits in the future.

.

.

.

.

Bonnie Bracey Sutton
Outreach GLEF.org
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/bbracey
My communities
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/summitforchildren
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/gendergap
CyberEd Resources : ICT's and Education (owner)
Games and Education (owner)
Science without Frontiers STEM Initiatives K-12 (owner)
http://www.digitaldivide.net/blog/bbracey
Portal Work
http://edreform.net/
Technology Applications for learning in the portal
applications.edreform.net
Technology Applications for Learning
The Technology Applications for Learning Network
is a catalog of technology applications for learning.
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/STEM

.

.

Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
 *  New Members 3
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
.
[nc3=5191953]