[net-gold] Systems Theory and Curriculum Design

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 06:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 15:12:30 -0700
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Systems Theory and Curriculum Design

.

If you reply to this long (10 kB) post please don't hit the reply
button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your
reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already
archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

.

.

ABSTRACT: PhysLrnR's Alfred Louro pointed to Marion Brady's
Washington Post comment <http://wapo.st/OmgXvY> (paraphrased): "I
think the tests and the Common Core State Standards
<http://www.corestandards.org/> on which they're based are blocking
consideration of the most promising educational innovation in the
last century - the use of general systems theory as a tool for
reshaping and radically simplifying the 'core curriculum.' "

.

Brady has explained his systems-based curriculum in his book "What's
Worth Learning" at <http://bit.ly/fAaI6Z> - for comments see e.g.
Bernstein at <http://bit.ly/htqJQN> and Hake at
<http://bit.ly/fA8aC6>.

.

For an introduction to "Systems Thinking" see "Over Two-Hundred
Annotated References on Systems Thinking" [Hake (2009)] at
<http://bit.ly/9gZdXU> (1.7 MB).

.

.

Alfredo Louro (2012) in a post titled "From Concept Inventories to
better theories of knowledge" pointed to a passage in Marion Brady's
(2011) Washington Post commentary:

.

"But my particular, personal beef is that the tests (and the Common
Core State Standards on which they're based) are blocking policymaker
consideration of what I believe to be the most promising educational
innovation in the last century - the use of general systems theory as
it developed during World War II as a tool for reshaping and
radically simplifying the "core curriculum."

.

[For the Common Core State Standards (CCS) see
<http://www.corestandards.org/>. For commentary on the CCS see e.g.,
neutral- Strauss (2011), positive - Robelen (2012), and negative -
Ohanian (2012).

.

Then Alfredo wrote: "I don't know much about general systems theory
applied to curriculum design."

.

Marion Brady's has explained his systems-based curriculum in e.g.:

.

a. "What's Worth Learning" [Brady (2010)];

.

b. a Phi Delta Kappa article "Thinking Big: A Conceptual Framework
For The Study Of Everything" [Brady (2004)];

.

c. on his homepage <http://www.marionbrady.com/>.

.

It's conceivable that these posts on systems thinking might be of
value to Alfredo and others:

.

1. "Over Two-Hundred Annotated References on Systems Thinking" [Hake (2009)],

.

2. "Books for Laypersons on Systems Thinking #2" [Hake (2010a)],

.

3. "Re: How can we make people fall in love with systems ideas?"
[Hake (2010b)],

.

4. "Reform of STEM Education Requires A Systems Approach" [Hake (2012)].

.

.

.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>

.

.

.

"The ability to reduce everything to simple fundamental laws does not
imply the ability to start from those laws and reconstruct the
universe. . . . . at each level of complexity entirely new properties
appear, and the understanding of the new behaviors requires research
which I think is as fundamental in its nature as any other."
- P.W. Anderson in "More is Different" (1972)

.

.

.

REFERENCES [All URL's accessed on 08 July 2012, most shortened by
<http://bit.ly/>.]

.

.

.

Anderson, P.W. 1972. "More is Different: Broken symmetry and the
nature of the hierarchical structure of science," Science 177 (4047):
393-396; online as a 1.2 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/e4Dv8D>.

.

Bernstein, Kenneth J. 2011. Education Review 14, 17 March. Review of
"What's Worth Learning" by Marion Brady, online as a 307 kB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/htqJQN>.

.

Brady, M. 2004. "Thinking Big: A Conceptual Framework For The Study
Of Everything," Phi Delta Kappan, December, pp. 276-281; downloadable
as a 135 kB pdf at <http://www.marionbrady.com/> (forth paragraph
under "Where I'm coming from."

.

Brady, Marion. 2010. "What's Worth Learning." Information Age
Publishing, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/fAaI6Z>, note
the fre download of Appendix materials, Amazon.com information at
http://amzn.to/hV9irc. An expurgated Google book preview is online at
http://bit.ly/hWpklM>. See the commentary by Bernstein (2011) and
Hake (2011).

.

Brady, M. 2011a. "The complete list of problems with high-stakes
standardized tests," online at
<http://wapo.st/OmgXvY>. Guest opinion on Valerie Strauss' "The
Answer Sheet," Washington Post, 01 Nov 04:00-0400.

.

Hake, R.R. 2009. "Over Two-Hundred Annotated References on Systems
Thinking," online as a 1.7 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/9gZdXU>. The
abstract and link to the complete post are on my website "Hake's Ed
Stuff" at <http://bit.ly/duhqLE> with a provision for comments For