[net-gold] [ResourceShelf] Newsletter 438

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Nabble" <ml-node+3172864-337556105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:01:23 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:14:28 +0000
From: Gary Price <gary.price@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: jwne@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ResourceShelf] Newsletter 438

               Off the Shelf: ResourceShelf Newsletter
                  <http://www.resourceshelf.com/>

Number 438                                          January 14, 2010

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The ResourceShelf Newsletter is a weekly selection of content and
links from ResourceShelf. Please visit the website whenever you have a
free moment to review the latest items:

<http://www.resourceshelf.com/>

RSS Feed: <http://www.resourceshelf.com/feed/>

Visit DocuTicker for a daily update of new reports from government
agencies, NGOs, think tanks and other groups:

<http://www.docuticker.com/>

RSS Feed: <http://www.docuticker.com/feed/>

productive you and your team can be.

FUMSI: Helping everyone Find, Use, Manage and Share Information --
3 month global trial for only £39

'...the practical, tactical lessons-learned support professional
development in an environment where none would be available...'

Order now: <http://web.fumsi.com/go/shop/volume/trial/>

VIP: In-depth, unbiased product reviews and insightful analysis of
changes in the content market that will affect your content portfolio

'I know of no other source that is as highly targeted to my work as an
information manager...'

Order now: <http://web.vivavip.com/go/shop/volume/trial/>

Insight on Emerging Markets

Participate in our surveys on resources and needs

We're undertaking a research project to understand how users approach
research on emerging markets in Asia and Europe. Participate in either
or both fo these surveys, and receive a copy of the results upon
publication:

FreePint Survey: European Research Resources: http://digbig.com/5bakyr

FreePint Survey: Asia Pacific Research Resources: http://digbig.com/5bakys

Bonus: All respondents will receive an alert when the new DocuTip
report series on emerging markets is available in December and enable
you to preview the collection.

Greetings from St. Pete/Tampa, where it's still ridiculously
cold...and my friends and colleagues are walking around looking like
vagrants because almost no one here has decent winter clothes.

We're big on authoritative sources of statistics here at
ResourceShelf. Someone is always looking for 'the latest numbers' on
something, so we try to post good fishing holes whenever we find them.

This week, we have amassed a collection of statistics sources related
to religion. For most of us, this tends to be the kind of information
we don't use regularly, but when we need it...we REALLY need it. We
welcome your suggestions for others sites we should add to this
collection.

And, as always, if you have suggestions to offer for future Resources
of the Week, send 'em along.

For those of you in the northern hemisphere -- stay warm!

sdk

For those who partake of social media, you can find us:

On Facebook:

* ResourceShelf:
  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ResourceShelf/45783383771>

* DocuTicker: <http://www.facebook.com/pages/DocuTicker/44566289460>

* Gary: <http://www.facebook.com/people/Gary-Price/580249905>

* Shirl: <http://www.facebook.com/people/Shirl-Kennedy/566607461>

Or Twitter:

* Combined ResourceShelf and DocuTicker feed:
  <http://www.twitter.com/resourceshelf>

* DocuTicker only feed: <http://www.twitter.com/docuticker>

* Shirl tweets here: <http://twitter.com/webdoyenne>

++ Your DocuTicker and ResourceShelf Editorial Team ++

Shirl Kennedy Senior Editor <shirl.kennedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Gary Price Founding Editor <gary.price@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Adrian Janes Contributing Editor

Steven Cohen Contributing Editor

Dan Giancaterino Contributing Editor

Laura Gordon-Murnane Contributing Editor

Stuart Basefsky, MLIS Contributing Editor

Support Improved Decision-Making with these Library Essentials

Get 7 essential reports to support better decision-making,
information practice and budget management throughout 2010...
at a special package price:

  * VIP Report: Comparative Review of News Products

  * VIP Report: Review of MarketResearch.com's Profound

  * VIP Report: Economic Impact Research

  * FUMSI Report: Product Evaluation Report and Tool Kit

  * FUMSI Report: Folio on Knowledge Management

  * FUMSI Report: Folio on Social Media in the Enterprise

  * FUMSI Report: Folio on Alternative Search Engines

Learn more and order: <http://web.freepint.com/go/shop/essentials/>

               The latest Searcher's Guide is online at
              <http://www.resourceshelf.com/newsletter/>

Resource of the Week: Religion...by the Numbers By Shirl Kennedy,
Senior Editor

Direct link to this post online: http://digbig.com/5baxmr

A few weeks ago for The Day Job, I was rummaging around in my
Delicious bookmarks for sites offering statistics related to religion.
I'd saved a few, but I decided to go looking for more...and then I
organized them...and now I am sharing them with you.

If you are aware of any other sites I should add to this list -
especially for non-Western/non-mainstream religions - please let me
know.

Meta Sites

* 2010 U.S. Statistical Abstract: Religion Three tables:

    * Self-Described Religious Identification of Adult Population
    * Religious Bodies-Selected Data
    * Christian Church Adherents and Jewish Population, States

* Adherents.com

    Adherents.com is a growing collection of over 43,870 adherent
    statistics and religious geography citations: references to
    published membership/adherent statistics and congregation
    statistics for over 4,200 religions, churches, denominations,
    religious bodies, faith groups, tribes, cultures, movements,
    ultimate concerns, etc.

* American Religious Identification Survey 2008 (Trinity College)
  Statistics sliced and diced in many ways. Notable here: American
  Nones: The Profile of the No Religion Population

* Association of Religion Data Archives

    Founded as the American Religion Data Archive in 1997 and going
    online in 1998, the initial archive was targeted at researchers
    interested in American religion. The targeted audience and the
    data collection have both greatly expanded since 1998, now
    including American and international collections and developing
    features for educators, journalists, religious congregations, and
    researchers. Data included in the ARDA are submitted by the
    foremost religion scholars and research centers in the world.

* Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies: Statistics
  Currently offers 'Standard Denominational Adherents
  Information for 2007'.

* Association of Theological Schools/Commission on Accrediting: Annual
  Data Tables/FactBooks

    The Fact Book on Theological Education has been published annually
    since 1969 until 2002 when it and the Annual Data Tables became
    two separate publications. The Fact Book (changed to a biennial
    publication on odd years), offers an executive summary of the data
    provided by the member schools in the fall of the previous
    academic year.

    Designed as a concise overview of graduate, professional
    theological education in the approximately 250 member schools of
    ATS, the Fact Book includes a topical essay and a table of
    significant institutional characteristics of each member
    institution. Figures in the Fact Book reference the Annual Data
    Table from which the calculation was made.

Barna Group

    Barna Research Group provides primary research services to
    organizations focused on enhancing people?s spiritual lives. It
    conducts qualitative and quantitative research on a commissioned
    basis, as well as developing self-initiated studies of the
    spiritual landscape of the nation. The company has worked with
    thousands of ministries across the country and is widely relied
    upon by media, churches and educational institutions for insight
    into matters of faith and contemporary society.

Most of what's here costs money, but the press releases often contain
useful statistics, and they have an online form for media requests:
http://www.barna.org/media-requests

* Center for the Study of Global Christianity (Gordon-Conwell
  Theological Seminary): World Christian Database

    The World Christian Database (WCD) is based on the 2600-page
    award-winning World Christian Encyclopedia and World Christian
    Trends, first published in 1982 and revised in 2001. This
    extensive work on World religion is now completely updated and
    integrated into the WCD online database. Designed for both the
    casual user and research scholar, information is readily available
    on religious activities, growth rates, religious literature,
    worker activity, and demographic statistics.

Note that this is a subscription database. 'Free subscriptions are
available to major media organizations only.'

* CIA World Factbook Offers religious breakdowns of the population by
  country; also for the world as a whole:

    Christians 33.32% (of which Roman Catholics 16.99%, Protestants
    5.78%, Orthodox 3.53%, Anglicans 1.25%), Muslims 21.01%, Hindus
    13.26%, Buddhists 5.84%, Sikhs 0.35%, Jews 0.23%, Baha'is 0.12%,
    other religions 11.78%, non-religious 11.77%, atheists 2.32% (2007
    est.)

Country information is continually updated.

* Foreign Policy: The List - The World's Fastest-Growing Religions
  (May 2007)

    From Muslims in Europe to evangelical Christians in Africa, it is
    religious believers who are shaping the early 21st Century.
    Charismatic movements are sweeping throughout the Southern
    Hemisphere, while high birth rates among immigrants are provoking
    soul-seeking in the historically Christian West. For this List, FP
    looks at the fast-growing faiths that are upending the old world
    order.

Includes statistics on Islam, the Bah'ai faith, Sikhism, Jainism,
Hinduism, Christianity.

* Gallup: Religion Ongoing polls on religion-related issues.

* Glenmary Research Center

    The mission of the GRC is to place meaningful information in the
    hands of its constituents. We disseminate this research in three
    primary formats: books, maps (learn more about Glenmary's mapping
    heritage) and data files.

Self-identifies as 'Catholic society of priests and brothers' involved
in missionary work as well as research. Much of the info here costs
money, but there are some free data files and maps.

* Hartford Institute for Religious Research

    Research is at the heart of what we do - gathering reliable
    information about what is happening in religious life today.
    Groundbreaking studies on the movement of women into the role of
    clergy and timely assessment of trends in church membership are
    two of the many ways in which we seek to measure how people of
    faith are forming and re-forming their institutions. Changes in
    theological seminaries and in national denominational structures
    have received the Hartford Institute's careful attention, as have
    the dynamics and community contributions of congregations.
    Institute personnel and projects have pioneered methods for the
    study of congregations, including a national multi-faith survey
    that is gathering unprecedented, comprehensive data on the
    nation's congregations.

See: Research page. Don't miss: Database of Megachurches in the U.S.
Also: Religion Data Resources

* Institute for the Study of Religion (Baylor)

    ISR exists to initiate, support, and conduct research on religion,
    involving scholars and projects spanning the intellectual
    spectrum: history, psychology, sociology, economics, anthropology,
    political science, epidemiology, theology, and religious studies.

Offers nice collection of (free) reports.

* Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion: Estimating the
  Religious Composition of All Nations (PDF; paper, December 2008)

    The international religious data in the World Christian Database
    (WCD), and its print predecessor, the World Christian Encyclopedia
    (WCE), have been used frequently in academic studies and the
    popular press. While scholars have raised questions about the
    WCD's estimation, categories, and potential bias, the data have
    not yet been systematically assessed. We test the reliability of
    the WCD by comparing its religious composition estimates to four
    other data sources (World Values Survey, Pew Global Assessment
    Project, CIA World Factbook, and the U.S. Department of State),
    finding that estimates are highly correlated. In comparing the WCD
    estimates for Islamic countries and American Christian adherents
    with local data sources, we identify specific groups for which
    estimates differ. In addition, we discuss countries where the data
    sets provide inconsistent religious estimates. Religious
    composition estimates in the World Christian Database are
    generally plausible and consistent with other data sets. The World
    Christian Database also includes comprehensive non-religious data.
    We conclude with recommendations regarding the use of the WCD in
    future analysis.

* National Congregations Survey (Duke)

    The National Congregations Study surveys a representative sample
    of America's churches, synagogues, mosques and other local places
    of worship. It gathers information about a wide range of
    characteristics and activities of congregations.

See also: Pulpit & Pew:

    * Research on Pastoral Leadership Research Reports
    * National Clergy Survey

* National Study of Youth & Religion

    The National Study of Youth and Religion is a research project
    directed by Christian Smith, Professor in the Department of
    Sociology at the University of Notre Dame and Lisa Pearce,
    Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of North
    Carolina at Chapel Hill.

    The project is designed to enhance our understanding of the
    religious lives of American youth from adolescence into young
    adulthood, using telephone survey and in-depth interview methods.
    What follows is a more detailed description of the goals and
    design of the National Study of Youth and Religion.

Resources and Reports.

* Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

    The Forum functions as both an information clearinghouse and a
    town hall. As a clearinghouse it tracks and aggregates news and
    conducts independent research, including surveys, legal
    backgrounders, reports, books and Q&A interviews. As a town hall,
    it provides a neutral venue for discussion.

See especially: U.S. Religious Landscape Survey

    Based on interviews with more than 35,000 American adults, this
    extensive survey by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life
    details the religious makeup, religious beliefs and practices as
    well as social and political attitudes of the American public.

* Pluralism Project (Harvard)

    The Pluralism Project: World Religions in America is a decade-long
    research project, with current funding from the Ford and
    Rockefeller Foundations, to engage students in studying the new
    religious diversity in the United States. We will explore
    particularly the communities and religious traditions of Asia and
    the Middle East that have become woven into the religious fabric
    of the United States in the past twenty-five years.

Nice collection of statistics and resources.

* The U.S. Congregational Life Survey: A National and International
  Study of Congregations

    As part of the U.S. Congregational Life Survey, about 300,000
    worshipers in over 2,000 congregations in the United States
    completed a survey during worship services in April 2001.
    Worshipers in Australia, England, and New Zealand completed
    similar surveys. Together, the international effort included about
    2 million worshipers and 17,000 congregations across three
    continents.

Most publications for sale. Some free resources - fact sheets, etc.

* U.S. Department of State: Annual Report on International Religious
  Freedom

    The International Religious Freedom report is submitted to
    Congress annually by the Department of State in compliance with
    Section 102(b) of the International Religious Freedom Act (IRFA)
    of 1998. This report supplements the most recent Human Rights
    Reports by providing additional detailed information with respect
    to matters involving international religious freedom. It includes
    individual country chapters on the status of religious freedom
    worldwide.

Covers 195 countries.

---

Specific Faiths

* Assemblies of God Statistics on the Assemblies of God (USA)

* Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) The Disciples Today

* Church of the Nazarene Research Center

* Episcopal Church Statistics

* Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

    * Research and Evaluation
    * Quick Facts

* Hindu American Foundation Hindu Demographics

* Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod LCMS at a Glance

* Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life - Mapping the Global Muslim
  Population: A Report on the Size and Distribution of the World's
  Muslim Population (October 2009)

* North American Jewish Data Bank

    * Topical Reports
    * American Jewish Year Book Articles

* Presbyterian Church in America Statistics

* Quaker Information Center Distribution of Quakers in the World

* Southern Baptist Convention 2007-2008 Statistics (PDF; see page 110)

* Unitarian Universalist Association UUA Statistics

* United Methodist Church United Methodists 'At-a-Glance'

* U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops The Catholic Church in the
  United States At A Glance

Also for Catholicism, see:

* Georgetown University: Center for Applied Research in the
  Apostolate Catholic Church Statistics

Full post online with live links: http://digbig.com/5baxmr

Off the Shelf: Featured posts from ResourceShelf Visit ResourceShelf
now: <http://www.resourceshelf.com> or click a link to view the
entire post:

* Project Gutenberg Releases 2009 Statistics; Over 35,000 eBooks
  Released (in Many Languages) - <http://digbig.com/5baxhk>

* New Peer-Reviewed, Open Access Journal About Academic Librarianship
  Debuts - <http://digbig.com/5baxhm>

* UBS Dictionary of Banking - <http://digbig.com/5baxhn>

* International Nuclear Information System (INIS) and Other Nuclear
  Info Databases - <http://digbig.com/5baxhp>

* Week in Review: eReaders Invade Las Vegas -
  <http://digbig.com/5baxhq>

* A Comprehensive Guide to Free E-Books - <http://digbig.com/5baxhr>

Have you visited the ResourceShelf site this week? Remember that this
newsletter contains just a minute sample of the content we continually
add to the site. If you don't stop by, you'll almost certainly miss
something of interest.

ResourceShelf and DocuTicker are FREE... thanks to our sponsors.

Current Sponsor: FreePint Research

Understanding the evolving world of information
<http://web.freepint.com/go/family/research/>

Do you have a message to share with 20,000 readers? Become a
ResourceShelf sponsor for exclusive positioning.
Contact Robin Neidorf, General Manager, at
<robin.neidorf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
or learn more and complete the request for proposal form at
<http://web.freepint.com/go/family/sponsor/>

and registered email address.

The opinions, advice, products and services offered herein are the
sole responsibility of the contributors. Whilst all reasonable care
has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the publication, the
publishers cannot accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.

This publication may be freely copied and/or distributed in its
entirety. However, individual sections MAY NOT be copied and/or
distributed without the prior written agreement of the publishers.

Write to William Hann, Managing Editor, ResourceShelf
<william.hann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for more details. Product names used
in the ResourceShelf Newsletter are for identification purposes only,
and may be trademarks of their respective owners. Free Pint Limited
disclaims any and all rights in those marks. All rights reserved.

(c) Free Pint Limited 2010, part of the FreePint Family
   <http://web.freepint.com/go/family/>.

ResourceShelf and DocuTicker are published by Free Pint Limited,
registered in England and Wales. Registered Number: 3754418.
Registered Office: Delaport Coach House, Lamer Lane, Wheathampstead,
Herts, AL4 8RQ