[net-gold] Reich, McKibbon, & Hansen: Three Academicians Who Have Spoken Out on Social Issues

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nabble Groups Net-Gold <ml-node+s3172864n3172864h56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Wiggio.com" <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:56:54 -0500 (EST)

.

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:14:05 -0800
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Reich, McKibbon,
    & Hansen: Three Academicians Who Have Spoken Out on Social Issues

.

If you reply to this long (106 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers. The abstract reads:

.

.

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Re: Professors We Need You!" [Hake (2014)] at <http://bit.ly/1hw62E1> regarding Nicholas Kristof's "Professors, We Need You!" at <http://nyti.ms/1oIs7jD> and "Bridging the Moat Around Universities at <http://nyti.ms/1kOp8Wi>, Christopher Green of the TIPS list responded at <http://bit.ly/1dZrWfA> [slightly edited; my <URLs>]:

.

 "Kristof missed the boat on this one. If [Kristof] wants to know why professors are reluctant to enter public debate, he needs to address the quality of public debate in the US political arena. Both the governor of Wisconsin <http://bit.ly/1c5FUrS> and attorney general of Virginia <http://bit.ly/NftpnE> have recently used the powers of their offices to investigate and threaten the livelihoods of professors who opposed their political agendas (labor unions and climate change, respectively). [Politicians] have essentially demanded that professors NOT bring their expertise to bear on public debate and professors, understandably, have mostly complied."

.

Thankfully, not ALL academicians have complied, e.g.:

.

(a) UC-Berkeley's Robert Reich <http://bit.ly/1fga1Tm>, an outspoken champion of labor unions <http://bit.ly/1c8scER> and tireless critic of income and wealth inequality – see e.g., "Beyond Outrage" <http://amzn.to/1ebN6CI>;

.

(b) Middlebury College's Bill McKibbon <http://bit.ly/1fhrKKb> who has been lobbying for action to deter climate change for over two decades – see e.g. "The End of Nature" <http://amzn.to/1p1wIgN> and consider his organization <http://350.org/>;

.

(c) Columbia's James Hansen (2010, 2014) <http://bit.ly/omiMY3> who alerted the world to anthropogenic global warming in 1981 <http://nyti.ms/1gwHUMm>.  In a recent draft "Renewable Energy, Nuclear Power, and Galileo: Do Scientists Have a Duty to Expose Popular Misconceptions?" <http://bit.ly/1goLfgs>, Hansen rebuffs 4 widespread misconceptions: human life is endangered by nuclear power; renewable energy sources alone are sufficient; killing nuclear would make the world safer; and renewable energy is cheaper and faster than nuclear power. Below I quote Hansen at some length because: (1) nuclear power is so controversial; and (2) it allows me to insert references, hot-links, and comments.

.

.

The abstract of my post "Re: Professors We Need You!" [Hake (2014)] reads in part [bracketed by lines "########. . . . . ."

.

.

One of the more substantive comments [on Kristof's (2014b) "Bridging the Moat Around Universities" <http://nyti.ms/1kOp8Wi>], is by Aaron Barlow, faculty editor of the AAUP magazine "Academe" who pointed to "Public Intellectuals and the AAUP" (Schrecker at <http://bit.ly/NZH5E5>, and "The Case for Academics as Public Intellectuals" (Behm, Rankins-Robertson, & Roen (BRR) at <http://bit.ly/1dDTZky>.

.

(BRR + commentors on BRR + myself) list about 40 academicians who have "bridged the moat around universities."

.

But the fact that 40 [out of a total of over a million higher education faculty] have "bridged the moat" does not negate Kristof's general claim that "[professors] have marginalized themselves."

.

.

But Christopher Green (2014) of the TIPS list responded [bracketed by lines "GGGG. . . . ."; my inserts at ". . . . .[[insert]]. . . ."; my CAPS]:

.

 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

.

KRISTOF MISSED THE BOAT ON THIS ONE. If he wants to know why professors are reluctant to enter public debate, he needs to address the quality of public debate in the US political arena. The governor of Wisconsin. . . . [[see, e.g., the Wikipedia entry at <http://bit.ly/1c5FUrS>]]. . . .  and attorney general of Virginia . [[see, e.g., the Wikipedia entry at <http://bit.ly/NftpnE>]] both recently used the powers of their offices to investigate and threaten the livelihoods of professors who opposed their political agendas (labor unions and climate change, respectively).

.

 Few people are going to tolerate that sort of abuse, and will prefer to debate with those who are actually interested in debate, not just in silencing their opposition. In short, PEOPLE much more powerful than Kristof HAVE ESSENTIALLY DEMANDED THAT PROFESSORS NOT BRING THEIR EXPERTISE TO BEAR ON PUBLIC DEBATE AND PROFESSORS, UNDERSTANDABLY, HAVE MOSTLY COMPLIED.

.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

.

Thankfully, not ALL professors have complied. Among academicians who have "bridged the moat around universities" and spoken out on social issues are:

.

(a) UC-Berkeley's Robert Reich <http://bit.ly/1fga1Tm>, an outspoken champion of labor unions - see e.g., "Why We Need Stronger Unions, and How to Get Them" [Reich (2009)] and tireless critic of income and wealth inequality: "Beyond Outrage: Expanded Edition: What Has gone Wrong With Our Economy and Our Democracy, and How To Fix It" [Reich (2012)]; "Aftershock (Inequality for All - Movie Tie-in Edition)" [Reich (2013a)]; and "Inequality For All - Official Trailer"[Reich (2013b)].

.

(b) Middlebury College's Bill McKibbon <http://bit.ly/1fhrKKb> who, for over two decades, has been lobbying for action to deter climate change: "The End of Nature" [McKibbon (1989, 2006)]; "EAARTH: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet" [McKibbon (2011)]; "McKibben vs. Epstein Debate on Fossil Fuel [McKibben & Epstein (2012); "Oil and Honey: The Education of an Unlikely Activist"[McKibbon (2013)].

.

(c) Columbia's James Hansen <http://bit.ly/omiMY3>, who alerted the world to anthropogenic global in 1981 – see e.g., "Study Finds Warming Trend That Could Raise Sea Levels" [Sullivan (1981)] - and again sounded an alarm in "Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity" [Hansen (2010)]. Hansen has recently summarized his advocacy of a carbon tax and increased utilization of nuclear power in an important draft "Renewable Energy, Nuclear Power, and Galileo: Do Scientists Have a Duty to Expose Popular Misconceptions?" [Hansen (2014)].  Therein Hansen suggests (slightly edited):

.

A. That the public: (a) "Support <http://citizensclimatelobby.org/>  . . . . [It] is growing rapidly and exists now in most states in the U.S. and several other countries. Their objective is to persuade legislators to support fee-and-dividend, i.e., a rising carbon fee collected from fossil fuel companies and distributed 100% to the public, equal amounts to all legal residents"; and (b) "Stop providing funds to antinuke environmental groups. . . . . If they are allowed to continue to spread misinformation about nuclear power, it is unlikely that we can stop expanded hydro-fracking, continued destructive coal mining, and irreversible climate change."

.

B. That scientists: "when queried about nuclear power point the public toward valid scientific information, such as (a) 'Radiation 101' written by Bob Hargraves (2014) as part of his 'Radiation: The Facts'; and (b) 'Sustainable Energy - Without the Hot Air' by David MacKay (2013) [which] help the public to choose between renewables and nuclear power in any given situation – there is a role for both." . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  [[ On "Fast breeder reactors, using uranium from the ground" MacKay (2013,  p. 163) writes:  "Uranium can be used 60 times more efficiently in fast breeder reactors,
 which burn up all the uranium – both the U238 and the U235 (in contrast to
 the once-through reactors, which burn mainly U235).  As long as we don’t
 chuck away the spent fuel that is spat out by once-through reactors, this
 source of depleted uranium could be used too, so uranium that is put in
once-through reactors need not be wasted. If we used all the mineable
 uranium (plus the depleted uranium stockpiles) in 60-times-more efficient
 fast breeder reactors, the power would be 33 kWh per day per person.
 Attitudes to fast breeder reactors range from 'this is a dangerous failed
 experimental technology whereof one should not speak' to 'we can and
 should start building breeder reactors right away.' I am not competent
 to comment on the risks of breeder technology, and I don't want to mix
ethical assertions with factual assertions. My aim is just to help understand
the numbers. The one ethical position I wish to push is 'we should have a
 plan that adds up.' "]]. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [[On "Fast breeder reactors, using uranium from the oceans" MacKay (2013, p. 164) writes: "If fast reactors are 60 times more efficient, the same extraction of ocean
uranium could deliver 420 kWh per day per person. At last, a sustainable
figure that beats current consumption! – but only with the joint help of two technologies that are respectively scarcely-developed and unfashionable:
 ocean extraction of uranium, and fast breeder reactors."]]. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  [[On thorium MacKay (2013, p. 166) writes [my CAPS]: "Thorium is a radioactive element similar to uranium. Formerly used to make gas mantles, it is about three times as abundant in the earth’s crust as uranium. Soil commonly contains around 6 parts per million of thorium, and some minerals contain 12% thorium oxide. Seawater contains little thorium, because thorium oxide is insoluble. THORIUM CAN BE COMPLETELY BURNED UP IN SIMPLE REACTORS (in contrast to standard uranium reactors which use only about 1% of natural uranium). Thorium is used in nuclear reactors in India. If uranium ore runs low, thorium will probably become the dominant nuclear fuel. Thorium reactors deliver 3.6 billion kWh of heat per ton of thorium, which implies that a 1GW reactor requires about 6 tons of thorium per year, assuming its generators are 40% efficient. Worldwide thorium resources are estimated to total about 6 million tons, four times more than the known reserves shown in table 24.7. As with the uranium resources, it seems plausible that these thorium resources are an underestimate, since thorium prospecting is not highly valued today. If we assume, as with uranium, that these resources are used up over 1000 years and shared equally among 6 billion people, we find that the 'sustainable' power thus generated is 4 kWh/d per person." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.

. . . . . . . . . . . . [[On renewables MacKay (2013, p. 112) writes in Chapter 18 "Can we live on renwables" ["We" meaning the British]: concludes [EMPHASIS in the original]: "To sustain Britain’s lifestyle on its renewables alone would be very difficult. A renewable-based energy solution will necessarily be large and intrusive. IT’S NOT GOING TO BE EASY to make a plan that adds up using renewables alone." Since the average energy consumption per year per person is higher in the U.S. (MacKay gives 250 kWh per day) than in Britain (MacKay gives 125 kWh/d per person), a similar conclusion seems probable for the U.S.

.

Because utilization of nuclear power is so controversial – see e.g., "Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer" [Caldicott (2006)], "Why Nuclear Power Doesn't Make Sense" [Sierra Club (undated)]; and "Nuclear Power: Safety First. Now" [UCS (2013a)] – I have quoted from "Renewable Energy, Nuclear Power, and Galileo" [Hansen (2014)] at some length, thus also giving me the opportunity to insert a number of references, hot-links, and comments. On his webpage <http://bit.ly/16eDDNU>, Hansen states that "Renewable Energy, Nuclear Power, and Galileo" is a "Draft Opinion Piece, Criticisms Welcome." So readers of the present post may wish to post criticisms.

.

Under "Energy Misconceptions" Hansen (2014) rebuffs what he regards as 4 widespread misconceptions:

.

A. Human life is endangered by nuclear power.

.

B. Renewable energy sources alone are sufficient.

.

C. Killing nuclear would make the world safer.

.

D. Renewable energy is cheaper and faster than nuclear power.

.

Considering each of the above in order:

.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

.

A. Hansen (2014, p. 10) wrote [my inserts at ". . . . .[[insert]. . . . "]:

.

HUMAN LIVES

.

It is worth watching a 3-minute clip <http://bit.ly/1hlTISj> of an "anti-nuke" concert held in New York City in 1979 after the Three Mile Island nuclear accident in Pennsylvania. Participants yearn for the warm glow of a wood fire, even coal, but insist that nuclear power be terminated.

.

Indoor wood, coal and biofuel fires kill more than 1,000,000 people per year. The Three Mile Island nuclear power plant accident, which exposed nearby Pennsylvania residents to a level of radiation less than the natural annual background level, will cause few if any deaths.

.

There have been two much more serious nuclear accidents, at Chernobyl and Fukushima. Deaths caused by Fukushima radiation will be few, but the radiation release was a catastrophe for 300,000 people forced to leave their homes. Unfortunately the Japanese government forced many more people to evacuate than necessary. Please check out the brief, readable, "Radiation: The Facts" by Robert Hargraves (2014). Start with the Radiation 101 side of the page. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[[cf. the Union of Concerned Scientists' (UCS's) "Nuclear Power 101" at <http://bit.ly/1bwUAFB>]]. .

.

Are those accidents sufficient reason to abandon nuclear power? We must compare the alternatives. Aircraft provide a relevant analogy. Early airliners had many accidents that killed hundreds of people, but we did not abandon the technology. Instead we improved both the technology and the safety of operations via pilot training, aircraft control systems, and safety protocols and culture. Airlines are now one of the safest modes of travel. Similarly, improved nuclear technologies and operations have the potential to make nuclear power the safest of all energy systems.

.

In "Prevented Mortality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Historical and Projected Nuclear Power" [Kharecha & Hansen (2013)], Pushker Kharecha and I showed that nuclear power, in supplanting fossil fuels otherwise employed, has saved 1.8 million lives and 64 GtCO2-equivalent carbon emissions and could save millions more lives and billions more tons of emissions. These results were for 1960s-1970s nuclear technology. Advanced nuclear technology has the potential for greater savings.

.

Public misperceptions about nuclear power were thrust on me after I gave a talk in Australia in which I noted that nuclear power probably was needed to help phase out fossil fuels. My next talk was picketed by people asserting that nuclear power was killing a huge number of people and causing birth defects. When I queried them regarding the sources for these incredible assertions, I was told that Helen Caldicott (2006) was the source.

.

One problem we sometimes have in communicating global warming science to the public is a misperception that the science is based on "beliefs" rather than evidence. That allows deniers to counter it with their own "belief." Caldicott's assertions were nothing more than her belief. George Monbiot (2011), a respected British journalist, explored in detail the sources of Caldicott’s assertions. The resulting article that he wrote begins:

.

"Over the past fortnight I've made a deeply troubling discovery. The anti-nuclear movement to which I once belonged has misled the world about the impacts of radiation on human health. The claims we have made are ungrounded in science, unsupportable when challenged and wildly wrong. We have done other people, and ourselves, a terrible disservice."

.

Monbiot’s 2-page article, "Evidence Meltdown," is well worth reading. The extent to which the public has been misled is, indeed, deeply troubling.

.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

.

B. Hansen (2014, p. 11,12) wrote [my CAPS]:

.

RENEWABLES CAN DO IT.

.

People who entreat the government to solve global warming but offer support only for renewable energies will be rewarded with the certainty that the U.S. and most of the world will be fracked-over, the dirtiest fossil fuels will be mined, mountaintop removal and mechanized long-wall coal mining will continue, the Arctic, Amazon and other pristine public lands will be violated, and the deepest oceans will be ploughed for fossil fuels. Politicians are not going to let the lights go out or stop economic growth. Don’t blame Obama or other politicians. If we give them no viable option, we will be fracked and mined to death, and have no one to blame but ourselves.

.

Most scientists analyzing global and U.S. energy, summarized in Figs. 1 and 8, conclude that rapid global decarbonization requires contributions from all major available avenues: energy efficiency, renewable energies, nuclear power, and perhaps even carbon capture and storage. THERE IS ALSO BROAD AGREEMENT THAT THE BEST WAY TO FIND BALANCE AMONG THESE AVENUES IS HONEST COMPETITION SPURRED BY A RISING ACROSS-THE-BOARD FEE OR TAX ON CARBON EMISSIONS. The carbon fee can be chosen and adjusted to minimize overall economic dislocation, but the longer we wait to initiate the carbon fee, the greater will be the unrequited losses from climate disruption and the greater will be the ultimate economic, physical and spiritual sacrifices.

.

However, there is an asymmetry in how alternative energies are presented to the public, and I believe this asymmetry is having a large impact on prospects for stabilizing climate. Asymmetry first became obvious to me when I pointed out to a friend some of the limitations of one of the renewable energies. He said "Jim, don’t criticize renewable energies! It is o.k. to advocate nuclear power, but don't do it by criticizing renewables!"

.

I appreciate the rationale, so I always emphasize that we need contributions of all the capable energies (and I point out that I have spent a lot of money on solar panels for our and our children’s homes). However, it is now clear that there is no reciprocity, and the lack of uniform objectivity presents the public with a distorted picture of alternative energy choices.

.

The asymmetry finally hit me over the head when a renewable energy advocate told me that the main purpose of renewable portfolio standards (RPS) was to "kill nuclear". I had naively thought that the purpose was simply to kick-start renewables. Instead, I was told, because utilities were required to accept intermittent renewable energies, nuclear power would become less economic, because it works best if it runs flat out. What to do when the wind is not blowing? The answer was: have a gas plant ready as back-up. In other words, REPLACE CARBON-FREE NUCLEAR POWER WITH A DUAL SYSTEM, RENEWABLES PLUS GAS. WITH THIS APPROACH CO2 EMISSIONS WILL INCREASE AND IT IS CERTAIN THAT FRACKING WILL CONTINUE AND EXPAND INTO LARGER REGIONS.

.

If we care about climate, a "carbon-free portfolio standard” would make more sense than RPS. However, THE BEST APPROACH IS A RISING CARBON FEE THAT ALLOWS EFFICIENCY, RENEWABLES, NUCLEAR POWER, AND CARBON CAPTURE TO COMPETE FAIRLY.

.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

.

C. Hansen (2014, p. 12) wrote [my inserts at ". . . . . . .[[insert]]. . . . . . . "]:

.

NUCLEAR WASTE AND NUCLEAR SAFETY: Killing Nuclear In The U.S. Would Make A Safer World

.

Conventional nuclear reactors fission only about 0.6% of the mined nuclear fuel. The rest remains as very long-lived radioactive "waste". In fact this waste can be used as fuel for "fast" reactors. . . . . [[See e.g., the Wikipedia entry at <http://bit.ly/1cdsJoM> and "Fast Neutron Reactors" [WNA (2014)]]. . . .  which combined with recycling facilities can raise this figure up to about 99%. Fast reactors have the potential to leave a significantly smaller amount of waste which is dangerous for a few hundred years rather than tens of thousands of years. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [[see e.g., "Smarter Use of Nuclear Waste: Fast-neutron reactors could extract much more energy from recycled nuclear fuel, minimize the risks of weapons proliferation and markedly reduce the time nuclear waste must be isolated" (Hannum, Marsh & Stanford, 2005)]]. . . . . . . . . . .

.

Once fast reactors enter the mix of nuclear power plants, our nuclear fuel is inexhaustible on time scales of billions of years, putting nuclear power in the same category as solar power and wind power: the fuel will last as long as the sun shines. Japan and the United States have both demonstrated that uranium can be "sieved" from the ocean, so uranium mining on land can be terminated once it is decided to do so. In the near-term, ample inexpensive uranium deposits on land will be utilized.

.

The United States terminated R&D on fast reactors in 1993, indeed practically eliminated any investment in nuclear technology. A rationale for this policy was an assertion that fast reactors make it more difficult to assure that nuclear material is not diverted to bomb-making. However, nuclear experts point out that there is no inherent reason that fast reactors cannot be as resistant to weapons proliferation as conventional nuclear power technology, which is now widespread, in more than 30 nations.

.

The stronger drive for terminating nuclear R&D was the fact that the Democratic Party in the United States had embraced the anti-nuke agenda. Indeed, leaders of the Democratic Party seemed enchanted by a fantastical vision [see Fig. 2 of Hansen (2010, p.21), and its update at <http://bit.ly/1fdsM3V>] that fossil fuels, nuclear power, and large hydro power would all be phased out early in the 21st century. . . . . . . .

.

Many Democrats have told me that their hope had been that the U.S. would not build more nuclear power plants. They hoped that the U.S. would abandon nuclear power when the current nuclear plants reached their end-of-life, and they hoped that the rest of the world would follow suit. Many of those Democrats, indeed, I believe a large majority of those who understand the climate threat, are now open-minded about advanced safer nuclear technology.

.

A safer world requires that the United States recognize the fact that nuclear technology is widespread and is not going away. Fast reactors are being developed in several countries. Russia has agreed to sell fast reactors to China.  . . . . [[see e.g., "Fast Neutron Reactors" (WNA, 2014.)]]. . . .   A safer world is dependent on the United States staying in the nuclear technology game.

.

U.S. government labs have deteriorated, thanks to the neglect, but they still have potential. However, our crown jewels are our universities and our free enterprise system, which stimulate innovations (if the government does not hamstring the process). They have enormous potential to help solve our energy and climate problem if we use them wisely. More on that later. . . . . . [[On p. 14 Hansen (2014) wrote: "Rapidity required for deployment of large scale baseload electric power in China requires initial focus on nuclear power.** A substantial role for U.S. universities would be mutually beneficial, invigorating nuclear R&D in the U.S. and training the large number of engineers required for power plant development and operation in China."

.

*With regard to Fig.2, Hansen (2010, p. 21-22) wrote: "[Fig. 2] contrasts two energy paths for the United States that were proposed in the mid-1970s. The Energy Department projected the need for strong energy growth rates. It said the U.S. energy consumption of 70 quadrillion BTU annually in 1975 would need to increase to 200 quadrillion BTU annually forty years later, a growth rate of about 3 percent per year.  An extreme alternative to the Energy Department scenario was provided by Amory B. Lovins . . . . .[[see Lovins (1997) and Lovins & RMI (2011)]]. . . . . , an idealist and a renowned visionary. His scenario has continual improvements in energy efficiency, so energy use grows only slightly and then begins to decline. In addition, more and more of that energy is produced by what Lovins describes as 'soft technologies,' ones that do not include nuclear power or big hydroelectric plants – energy sources that are the banes of some environmentalists. CO2 emissions (from coal, oil, and gas) in Lovens's scenario decline dramatically, almost disappearing in 2025. . . . . .  . The real world data for energy use in the United States [the EIA curve in Fig. 2] show that Lovins was a least half right. The U.S. energy use grew only slowly, about 1 per cent per year, after 1975. But the data also show that Lovens's scenario, if taken as prediction, was half wrong, at least so far. Use of renewable  energies such as the sun and wind is still so small that it barely show up on the graph."

.

**With regard to nuclear power in China, Hansen (2014, footnote, p. 14) wrote: "Quasi-baseload renewables such as concentrating solar are not cost competitive. For example, the $2.2B Ivanpah solar power plant <http://ivanpahsolar.com/> near the Mojave National Preserve in California has max output 377 MW. With a capacity factor of 20%, its estimated annual output is ~0.66 TWh. General Electric's . . . . . [[correction "Westinghouse's" - see <http://bit.ly/1dmB8Xf>]]. . . . . .  AP-1000, a Generation III+ nuclear power plant with passive nuclear safety features, at 90% estimated capacity factor yields 8.8 TWh per year, more than 13 times Ivanpah. The AP-1000 cost for the first two under construction in China is estimated as $3.3B per unit, i.e., per 8.8 TWh/year. Construction time for the first AP-1000, expected to be operational by 2015 will have been 5-6 years. Westinghouse expects construction time to decrease to 36 months after a number of units have been completed, with a moderate reduction in cost. A major advantage of AP-1000 over the solar polar plant is the 0.5 square mile bootprint of AP-1000 facility, which compares with 5 square miles for Ivanpah or 65 square miles for 13 Ivanpahs. Also the Ivanpah power is intermittent, which will require energy storage if solar power is to assume a larger role."

.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

.

D. Hansen (2014, p. 12,13) wrote [my inserts at ". . . . . . .[[insert]]. . . . . . . "; my CAPS]:

.

RENEWABLE ENERGY IS CHEAPER AND FASTER THAN NUCLEAR POWER.

.

Of course it is faster to install a solar panel or build a windmill than to build a nuclear power plant. However, the question is how fast and at what cost these energy systems can be brought to scale such that they provide a large fraction of our electricity.

.

Nuclear power was used to quickly (within 10-15 years) and economically decarbonize electricity grids of France (see Fig. 4 and discussion) and Sweden. Sweden added about 0.6 MWh/year/person of emissions-free nuclear energy in 1970-1986 (including construction time of all reactors), and at peak the rate was 1.4 MWh/year/person. Given the current electricity consumption in China (5.3 PWh/year) and population (approaching 1.4 billion), the 0.6 MWh/year/person rate of nuclear construction would replace China’s current demand in 6.5 years. I am not proposing that as a plan, but rather as an indication of what is feasible. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [[Hansen's 5.3 PWh/yr is close to the 4.7 x 10^9MWh = 4.7x10^15Wh = 4.7PWh consumed by China in 2011 according to the Wikipedia entry "List of countries by electricity consumption" at <http://bit.ly/1fCs8l8>.  (Here "P"= "Peta" = 10^15)]]. . . . . . . . . .

.

In the United States bringing sun and wind to large scale requires time to get public approval (around the entire nation) and time to build new electric grids to take the power from its hotspots to where it is needed. It also requires development of energy storage technologies to deal with intermittent energy sources. WITHOUT ENERGY STORAGE, IT IS LIKELY THAT RENEWABLES WILL BE COMBINED WITH GAS BURNING, WHICH HELPS ASSURE THAT OUR CHILDREN WILL BE FRACKED THROUGHOUT THEIR LIVES AND THAT FOSSIL FUEL BURNING WILL PUSH THE PLANET FAR INTO THE DANGEROUS ZONE.

.

The largest portion of renewable energy cost is often hidden, e.g. by RPS and feed-in tariffs, in which the costs are passed on to all utility customers. Such added costs are bearable if the renewable portion of electricity is small, but, as in a Ponzi scheme, there is danger that the system won’t work as the subsidized portion of the scheme grows larger.

.

The best evaluation of costs will come via large-scale implementation. Germany and California are making serious efforts to implement renewable energy systems, and their public seems willing to bear higher electricity costs. Hopefully, they will be successful in showing that a renewable electric system is feasible and economic, in which case they will justifiably be ahead of the curve and in a position to reap rewards of success.

.

In the meantime, no approach should be forced on other states or nations. WE SHOULD NOT GAMBLE THE FUTURE OF THE PLANET ON A SINGLE UNPROVEN APPROACH.

.

.

.

Richard Hake,

Emeritus Professor of Physics,

Indiana University;

LINKS TO: Academia

<http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>;

Articles

<http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>; Blog

<http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>;

Facebook

<http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>;

GooglePlus

<http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>;

Google Scholar

<http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>;

Linked In

<http://linkd.in/14uycpW>;

Research Gate

<http://bit.ly/1fJiSwB>;

Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs

<http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>;

Twitter

<http://bit.ly/juvd52>.

.

.

.

"Yes, a few scientists assert that renewables alone are sufficient, a position that gets applause. As for me, I would prefer to stick to science and tend my orchard. Unfortunately, the situation is different than it was in the 1600s, when religion pressured science. The urgency of now steals the luxury of silence. Galileo knew that the truth would come out eventually and no one would be harmed. So he could just mutter under his breath 'and yet it moves!' That, I cannot do." - James Hansen (2014, p. 15)

.

.

.

REFERENCES [URLs shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 25 Feb 2014.]

.

.

.

Caldicott, H.  2006. "Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer." New Press, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/1jVKGgB>. Author's information at <http://bit.ly/1mA1tuO>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1nWvobG>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. For adverse criticism see "Evidence Meltdown" [Manbiot (2011)].

.

Fleming, J.R. 2005. "Historical Perspectives on Climate Change." Oxford University Press, publisher's information at  <http://bit.ly/1h6FTsL>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1lfKvjz>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. The 1998 edition is online as a 11.7 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/1o16NCA> and an expurgated Google book preview is online at <http://bit.ly/1juxFLf>.

.

Green, C. 2014. "Re: Professors We Need You!" online on the OPEN! TIPS archives at  <http://bit.ly/1dZrWfA>.  Post of 20 Feb 2014 05:55:50-0800 to TIPS.

.

Hake, R.R. 2013a. "Re: Keystone XL: The Pipeline to Disaster," online on the OPEN AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/1fpLlYT>. Post of 05 April 16:37-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted to several discussion lists and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/10DV42q> with a provision for comments.

.

Hake, R.R. 2013b. "Would a Carbon Tax Alone Save Life on Planet Earth? Probably Not: Overpopulation Must Also Be Addressed." Online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/1haQqTc>. Post of 27 Jun 2013 14:55:33-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were distributed to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/19zyUHo> with a provision for comments.

.

Hake, R.R. 2014. "Re: Professors We Need You!" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/1hw62E1>. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/1oThbQl>.

.

Hansen, J., D. Johnson, A. Lacis, S. Lebedeff, P. Lee, D. Rind, and G. Russell, 1981: "Climate impact of increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide," Science 213: 957-966; online as a 2.8MB pdf at <http://1.usa.gov/1e8WMCu>. See also the NYT report <http://nyti.ms/1gwHUMm>.  For the history of climate change concern and research see e.g.: "Historical Perspectives on Climate Change"  [Fleming (1998, 2005)] and "The discovery of the risk of global warming" [Weart (1997)].

.

Hansen, J., M. Sato, R. Ruedy, A. Lacis, and V. Oinas. 2000. "Global warming in the twenty-first century: An alternative scenario," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 97 (18) 9875–9880; online at <http://bit.ly/1ppI1zM>. Hansen has evidently modified his orientation somewhat, since he now stresses the overriding  importance of a carbon tax.

.

Hansen, J.E.  2010. "Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity." Bloomsbury, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/1dTZyvu>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1bPXW78>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature.  For a review see Reynolds (2009). Book webpage at <http://bit.ly/LfiwzY>. See also Hansen's webpage at <http://bit.ly/16eDDNU>, especially the list of publications at <http://bit.ly/1h5G9aP>. See also: (a) the updates at "Updating the Climate Science" [Sato & Hansen (2014)] and (b) "Earth's Climate History: Implications for Tomorrow" [Hansen & Sato (2011)].

.

Hansen, J.E.  & M. Sato. 2011. "Earth's Climate History: Implications for Tomorrow." NASA. online at <http://1.usa.gov/1gSh1or>.

.

Hansen, J.E. 2012. "Climate Change a Scientific, Moral and Legal Issue," You Tube video; online at <http://bit.ly/1cI1NBc>. Viewed 2195 times as of 24 Feb 2014.

.

Hansen, J. & J. Romm. 2013. "The Courage to Fight Climate Change: James Hansen bravely told the truth even when the Bush administration tried to silence and penalize him," The Nation, 27 May; online at <http://bit.ly/12djtSf>. Note the video at that location "We Are Only Beginning to Feel Climate Change's Impact"[Hansen (2013a)]. See also the (a) the precursor article "Thoreau's Radicalism and the Fight Against the Fossil-Fuel Industry" [Stephenson (2013)], (b) "Storms of My Grandchildren" [Hansen (2010)]; (c) "Would a Carbon Tax Alone Save Life on Planet Earth? Probably Not: Overpopulation Must Also Be Addressed"[Hake (2013)]; (d) "Keystone XL: The pipeline to disaster" [Hansen (2013d).

.

Hansen, J.E. 2013a. "We Are Only Beginning to Feel Climate Change's Impact," You Tube video; online at <http://bit.ly/1mD7LJU>. Viewed 7714 times as of 24 Feb 2014. See also the videos at Hansen (2012; 2013b,c).

.

Hansen, J.E. 2013b. "Climate One," You Tube video; online at <http://bit.ly/MoCwBC>. Viewed 3073 times as of 24 Feb 2014.

.

Hansen, J.E. 2013c. " Half the Planet Doomed -- If We Don't Act - Scientist Says" You Tube video; online at <http://bit.ly/1hvekaR>. Viewed 1515 times as of 25 Feb 2014.

.

Hansen, J. 2013d. "Keystone XL: The pipeline to disaster: If Obama OKs the Keystone XL, it will exacerbate global warming and put the U.S. on the hook for spills and environmental degradation, all in service to one of the planet's dirtiest fuels," Los Angeles Times, OpEd, 04 April; online at <http://lat.ms/16zLDF0>. See also: "Re: Keystone XL: The pipeline to disaster" [Hake (2013a)] and another hot-button issue: "Supreme Court Climate Case Looks At EPA's Power" Sherman (2014).

.

Hansen, J.E. 2014. "Renewable Energy, Nuclear Power, and Galileo: Do Scientists Have a Duty to Expose Popular Misconceptions?" online as a 541 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/1goLfgs>.

.

Hannum, W.H., G.E. Marsh & G.S. Stanford. 2005. "Smarter Use of Nuclear Waste: Fast-neutron reactors could extract much more energy from recycled nuclear fuel, minimize the risks of weapons proliferation and markedly reduce the time nuclear waste must be isolated," Scientific American, December; online as a 590 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/1hlDw3t>.

.

Hargraves, R. & R. Moir. 2010. "Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors: An old idea in nuclear power gets reexamined " American Scientist 98:304-313; online as a 647 kB pdf at <http://xfin.tv/1nYLQsd>. They wrote: "An increasingly popular vision of the future sees liquid-fuel reactors playing a central role in the energy economy, utilizing relatively abundant thorium instead of uranium, mass producible, free of carbon emissions, inherently safe, and generating a trifling amount of waste."

.

Hargraves, R. 2012a. "Thorium Energy Cheaper than Coal," You Tube video online at <http://bit.ly/1bZcLUT>. As of 23 Feb 2014 this had been viewed  9,031times.

.

Hargraves, R. 2012b. "THORIUM: energy cheaper than coal." CreateSpace. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1e1p8ia>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. Book website <http://bit.ly/1efcQ14>.

.

Hargraves, R. 2014. "Radiation: The Facts," online as a 2.5 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/1jWhJ7c>. See also Hargraves & Moir (2010) and Hargraves (2012a,b).

.

Kharecha, P.A. & J.E. Hansen, 2013: "Prevented Mortality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Historical and Projected Nuclear Power," Environ. Sci. Technol. 47: 4889-4895; online at  <http://bit.ly/1djSbJx>.

.

Kristof, N. 2014a. "Professors, We Need You!" NYT Opinion Pages, 15 Feb; online at <http://nyti.ms/1oIs7jD>.

.

Kristof, N. 2014b. "Bridging the Moat Around Universities." NYT Opinion Pages, 15 Feb; online at <http://nyti.ms/1kOp8Wi>.

.

Lovins, A.B. 1977. "Soft Energy Paths: Toward a  Durable Peace." Penguin Books,. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1fKRFVu>.See also the more recent Lovins & RMI (2011).

.

Lovins, A.B. & Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI). 2011. "Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era." Foreword by Marvin Odum. Chelsea Green, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/NpyPwj>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1lcU4Qg>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. RMI book page at <http://bit.ly/1nZ7Kvb>.

.

MacKay, D. 2013. "Sustainable Energy – Without the Hot Air" online at <http://www.withouthotair.com/>. This important book can be downloaded for FREE as a 14.6 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/ZcghlW>. Zoologist Robert Hinde <http://bit.ly/1lm2B3y> wrote: "The need to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and to find sustainable sources of energy is desperate. But much of the discussion has not been based on data on how energy is consumed and how it is produced. This book fills that need in an accessible form, and a copy should be in every household." I agree!

.

McKibbon, B.  2006. "The End of Nature." Random House, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/1daCFjd>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1p1wIgN>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. First published in 1989.

.

McKibbon, B.  2011. "EAARTH: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet," St. Martin's, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/NihK7z>. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1l5KWNl>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. The chapter "A New World" is online as a 1.9 MB pdf at  <http://bit.ly/1daGPYe>.

.

McKibben, B. & A. Epstein. 2012. "McKibben vs. Epstein Debate on Fossil Fuels," You Tube video; online at <http://bit.ly/MZAKI4>. Viewed 11,376 times as of 25 Feb 2014.

.

McKibbon, B.  2013. "Oil and Honey: The Education of an Unlikely Activistl" Times Books, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/NihpBC>. Amazon.com information at<http://amzn.to/1h5yppj>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature. See also McKibbon's website at <http://bit.ly/1mi3FmY> and his organization 350.org at <http://350.org/>.

.

Monbiot, G. 2011. "Evidence Meltdown: The green movement has misled the world about the dangers of radiation," The Guardian, 5 April online as a 29 kB pdf at  <http://bit.ly/NlRvgx>.

.

NRC. 2010. "Advancing the Science of Climate Change." National Academy Press: online at <http://bit.ly/1gohi01>. The "Summary," p. 2, states: "Overall, the report concludes that (a) Climate change is occurring, is caused largely by human activities, and poses significant risks for a broad range of human and natural systems; and (b) The nation needs a comprehensive and integrated climate change science enterprise, one that not only contributes to our fundamental understanding of climate change but also informs and expands America's climate choices." Other NAP books related to climate change are listed at <http://bit.ly/1jVjPnS>.

.

Reich, R.B. 2009. "Why We Need Stronger Unions, and How to Get Them," blog entry of 27 Jan; online at <http://bit.ly/1c8scER>.

.

Reich, R.B.  2012. "Beyond Outrage: Expanded Edition: What Has gone Wrong With Our Economy and Our Democracy, and How To Fix It." Vintage. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1ebN6CI>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature.  See also Reich's website at <http://robertreich.org/>.

.

Reich, R.B. 2013a. "Aftershock (Inequality for All - Movie Tie-in Edition)" Vintage. Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/1eZTYTU>.

.

Reich, R.B. 2013b. "Inequality For All - Official Trailer," You Tube video; online at <http://bit.ly/1hfwPQx>; viewed 307,570 times as of 21 Feb 2014 14:21-0800.

.

Reynolds, S.S. 2009. Review of "Storms of My Grandchildren" [Hansen (2010)], L.A. Times, 27 Dec; online at <http://lat.ms/Ms8uwI>: "The father of global warming has been sounding the alarm for more than 30 years. He is more discouraged than ever." Reynolds wrote: "Perhaps the most frightening part of 'Storms of My Grandchildren' involves Hansen's take on the personalities and power trips that all too often get in the way of real movement. He is alarmed by the contrarians, such as MIT's Richard Lindzen,. . . . .[[<http://bit.ly/1fpJcMG>]]]. . . . and annoyed by the bureaucrats, such as former NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe. . . . .[[ <http://bit.ly/1gAxnQd>]]. . . . ., who firmly requested that Hansen remove the word 'danger' from discussions of global warming. He finds himself increasingly marginalized as positions on global warming and appropriate actions polarize. 'Of course,' he notes, 'by 2005 I was well aware that the NASA Office of Public Affairs had become an office of propaganda.'  "

.

Sato, M, & J. Hansen. 2014. "Updating the Climate Science: What Path is the Real World Following?" Online at <http://bit.ly/1mG2j9i>.

.

Shabecoff,  P. 1988. "Global Warming Has Begun, Expert Tells Senate," NYT, 24 June; online at <http://nyti.ms/1cyoR59>.

.

Sherman, M. 2014. "Supreme Court Climate Case Looks At EPA's Power," Huffington  Post, 23 Feb; online at <http://huff.to/1nYnONT>.

.

Sierra Club. Undated. "Why Nuclear Power Doesn't Make Sense" online at <http://bit.ly/1e3Gs5W>.

.

Stephenson, W. 2013. "Thoreau's Radicalism and the Fight Against the Fossil-Fuel Industry: What would it mean if we were to walk in his footsteps?" The Nation, 27 May; online at <http://bit.ly/170Ji91>.

.

Sullivan, W. 1981. "Study Finds Warming Trend That Could Raise Sea Levels," NYT, 21 Aug., online at <http://nyti.ms/1gwHUMm>. This is a report on "Climate impact of increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide" [Hansen et al. (1981)].  For 1998 climate-change alert by Hansen see "Global Warming Has Begun, Expert Tells Senate" [Shabecoff (1988)].

.

UCS. 2013a. "Nuclear Power: Safety First. Now." Union of Concerned Scientists, online at <http://bit.ly/1aPNSrO>. In "Storms of My Grandchildren" [Hansen 2010, p. 203, 204] wrote: "[The UCS] seems to me to be a lobbying organization. It lobbied hard for the Kyoto Protocol. When I published the 'alternative scenario' paper . . . . . . [["Global warming in the twenty-first century: An alternative scenario" (Hansen et al., 2000)]]. . . . .which the organization considered to be critical of the Kyoto Protocol it encouraged the writing of a paper criticizing and mischaracterizing our paper. [In response I wrote an open letter published on the naturalScience website, to correct misimpressions. . . . . . .I agree with most of what [the UCS] proposes, but people should understand that this is not a group of scientists in lab coats sending our their most recent scientific analysis."

.

UCS. 2013b. " Nuclear Power 101." Union of Concerned Scientists, online at <http://bit.ly/1bwUAFB>.

.

Weart, S.R., 1997. "The discovery of the risk of global warming: An accidental confluence of old interests and new techniques led a few scientists in the 1950s to realize that human activity might be changing the world's climate. " Phys. Today 50(1): 34-40; online to subscribers at

. <http://bit.ly/1hi2pOR>.

WNA. 2014. "Fast Neutron Reactors," World Nuclear Association, January; online at <http://bit.ly/1cEz9Rk>

.

.