[net-gold] Move Physics Demonstrations From the Lecture Hall Into the Lab!

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 07:57:29 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:38:42 -0700
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Move Physics Demonstrations From the Lecture Hall Into the
    Lab!

.

If you reply to this long (21 kB) post please don't hit the reply
button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your
reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already
archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

.

.

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Should the History of Science Be
Rated X" at <http://bit.ly/MbTWue>, PERTG's Lynda Williams wrote
(paraphrasing): "Drop a book and page of paper side by side: the book
hits the floor first. Aristotle was right! Then wad up the paper and
repeat the experiment: the book and paper hit the floor at the same
time. Newton is right! This is one of the best physics demos."

.

It would be even better if brought into the lab for students to
perform as in Section X, "Motion of Falling Bodies in Socratic
Dialogue Inducing Lab #2 [Hake (1998c)] at <http://bit.ly/mSCxV4>.

.

.

In a post "Re: Cool Demo for Newton's First Law?" [Hake (2004a)]," I
commented on "Classroom Demonstrations: Learning Tools or
Entertainment?" [Crouch et al. (2004)] as follows (references
updated; slightly edited):

.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

.

The recently reported research of Crouch et al. (2004) is consistent
with previous work in suggesting the need for ALL students to be
actively engaged if demonstrations are to increase the overall
learning of a class. Crouch et al. write: "We find that students who
passively observe demonstrations understand the underlying concepts
no better than students who do not see the demonstration at all, in
agreement with previous studies. Learning is enhanced, however, by
increasing student engagement . . ."

.

Aside from simply varying the mode of presentation as discussed by
Crouch et al., one way to increase student engagement (for ALL
students) is to make use of the "Interactive Lecture Demonstrations"
of David Sokoloff & Ron Thornton (1997).

.

Another method, overlooked by Crouch et al. and most other physics
educators, IS TO GET THE STUDENTS INTO THE LAB AND LET THEM DO THE
DEMONSTRATIONS AS EXPERIMENTS in a Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI
manner, futilely explicated in [Hake (1987; 1992; 2000, 2002a,b,c;
2004a; 2007a,b; 2008a,b; 2011; 2012a); Tobias & Hake(1988); Hake &
Wakeland (1997). SDI labs emphasize hands- and heads-on experience
with simple mechanics experiments and facilitate interactive
engagement of students with course material. They are designed to
promote students' mental construction of concepts through: (a)
conceptual conflict; (b) kinesthetic involvement; (c) extensive
verbal, written, pictorial, diagrammatic, graphical, and mathematical
analysis of concrete Newtonian experiments; (d) repeated exposure to
experiments at increasing levels of sophistication; (e) collaborative
peer instruction; and (f) Socratic dialogue with instructors. SDI
labs were inspired [Hake (1991, 2004c)] by the astute empirical
observations of Arnold Arons (1997) [for a review see Hake (2004c)],
who had the uncommon sense to "shut up and listen to what students
say" in response to probing Socratic questions.

.

Although appreciated by the perceptive Phys-L'er Jack Uretsky (1993),
SDI labs are generally ignored by the physics community [e.g., McCray
et al. (2003), Redish (2003), Mestre (2003)]. Furthermore, many fail
to understand the "Socratic method," steadfastly believing that it's
the same as that of the CLASSIC Socrates of Plato's "Meno," who put
words in the slave boy's mouth [Moorse (1994)], rather than that of
the HISTORICAL Socrates as researched by the late great classics
scholar Gregory Vlastos (1990, 1991, 1994). I have fruitlessly
discussed this pernicious, persistent, and pervasive misunderstanding
of the Socratic method in the editor-rejected Hake (1998b, footnote
39) and in Hake (2002b,c; 2007, 2011).

.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

.

.

.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M >
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>

.

.

.

"What I cannot create I do not understand."
Richard Feynman

.

.

.

"I am deeply convinced that a statistically significant improvement
would occur if more of us learned to listen to our students.. . . . .
.By listening to what they say in answer to carefully phrased,
leading questions, we can begin to understand what does and does not
happen in their minds, anticipate the hurdles they encounter, and
provide the kind of help needed to master a concept or line of
reasoning without simply 'telling them the answer.'....Nothing is
more ineffectually arrogant than the widely found teacher attitude
that 'all you have to do is say it my way, and no one within hearing
can fail to understand it.'.. . . . . .Were more of us willing to
relearn our physics by the dialog and listening process I have
described, we would see a discontinuous upward shift in the quality
of physics teaching. I am satisfied that this is fully within the
competence of our colleagues; the question is one of humility and
desire."
Arnold Arons (1974)

.

.

.

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on
17 Jlly 2012.]

.

.

.

Arons, A. 1974. "Addendum to 'Toward Wider Public Understanding of
Science', "Am. J. Phys. 42(2): 157; online to subscribers at
<http://bit.ly/q0woZT>.

.

Arons, A.B. 1997. "Teaching Introductory Physics," . Wiley,
publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/jBcyBU>. Amazon.com
information at <http://amzn.to/bBPfop>, note the searchable "Look
Inside" feature.

.

Crouch, C.H., A.P. Fagen, J.P. Callan, & E. Mazur. 2004. "Classroom
Demonstrations: Learning Tools or Entertainment?" Am. J. Phys. 72:
835-838; online as a 101 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/M9gBcA>.

.

Hake, R.R. 1987. "Promoting Student Crossover to the Newtonian
World," Am. J. Phys. 55(10): 878-884; online as a 788 kB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/a6vc3H>. In "Resource Letter ALIP-1: Active-Learning
Instruction in Physics," Meltzer & Thornton (2012) state: "Hake's
"Socratic dialogue inducing" (SDI) labs led to significantly higher
scores on mechanics exams than had been observed in a comparable
"conventional" course at a similar institution - see also [Hake
(1992)]".

.

Hake, R.R. 1991. "My Conversion To The Arons-Advocated Method Of
Science Education," Teaching Education 3(2): 109-111; online as a 12
kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/h2Ya0l>.

.

Hake, R.R. 1992. "Socratic pedagogy in the introductory physics lab,"
Phys. Teach. 30: 546-552; updated version (4/27/98) online as a 88 kb
pdf at <http://bit.ly/9tSTdB> .

.

Hake R.R. & R. Wakeland. 1997. " 'What's F? What's m? What's a?': A
Non-Circular SDI-TST- Lab Treatment of Newton's Second Law" in
"Conference on the Introductory Physics Course," Jack Wilson, ed.
Wiley. pp. 277-283. [See SDI Lab #6 "Newton's Second Law Revisited,"
online at <http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>.]

.

Hake, R.R. 1998a. "Interactive-engagement vs traditional methods: A
six-thousand-student survey of mechanics test data for introductory
physics courses," Am. J. Phys. 66: 64-74; online as an 84 kB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/9484DG>. In "Resource Letter ALIP-1: Active-Learning
Instruction in Physics," Meltzer & Thornton (2012) state: "Widely
cited analysis of test data from thousands of students in dozens of
courses indicating the superior effectiveness of active learning
instruction in physics ('interactive engagement') in comparison with
lecture-based methods." See also the crucial but almost totally
ignored companion paper Hake (1998b).

.

Hake, R.R. 1998b. "Interactive-engagement methods in introductory
mechanics courses," online as a 108 kB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/aH2JQN>. A crucial companion paper to Hake (1998a).
Submitted on 6/19/98 to the "Physics Education Research Supplement"
(PERS) of the American Journal of Physics, but rejected by its editor
on the grounds that the very transparent, well organized, and crystal
clear Physical-Review-type data tables were "impenetrable"!

.

Hake, R.R. 1998c. "SDI Lab #2: Newton's Second Law," online as a 233
kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/mSCxV4>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2000. "Towards Paradigm Peace in Physics Education
Research," presented at the annual meeting of the American
Educational Research Association, New Orleans, 24-28 April; online as
a 168 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/pekfjz> . Contains a transcript of a
Socratic exchange "Pinning a Kid To Her Seat" in SDI Lab #2. Also at
<http://bit.ly/ocg0I7> is a 244 kB pdf version of the PowerPoint
slides shown at the meeting.

.

Hake, R.R. 2002a. "Socratic Dialogue Inducing Laboratory Workshop,"
Proceedings of the UNESCO-ASPEN Workshop on Active Learning in
Physics, Univ. of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 2-4 Dec. 2002; online as a
44 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/qMo1ES>. [UNESCO = United Nations
Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization; ASPEN = ASian
Physics Education Network.]

.

Hake, R.R. 2002b. "Re: Socratic Method,"
PhysLrnR/Phys-L/Physhare/AP-Physics post of 14 Nov 2002
14:32:54-0800; online on the OPEN PhysL archives at <
http://bit.ly/NAgMiI>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2002c. "Re: Socratic Method,"
PhysLrnR/Phys-L/Physhare/AP-Physics post of 16 Nov 2002
12:41:45-0800; online on the OPEN PhysL archives at
<http://bit.ly/OnUIIJ>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2004a. "Re: Cool Demo for Newton's First Law?" online on
the OPEN! Phys-L archives at <http://bit.ly/NFOVjm>. Post of 24 Jun
2004b 21:20:44-0700 to AP-Physics, Phys-L, PhysLrnR, & Physhare. See
also Hake (2004b).

.

Hake, R.R. 2004b. "Re: seeing what you believe," on the CLOSED! OPEN!
Phys-L archives at
<http://bit.ly/LyxT5P > Post of 22 Nov 2004 14:38:23-0800 to
AP-Physics, Phys-L, PhysLrnR, & Physhare.

.

.

Hake, R.R. 2004c. "The Arons Advocated Method," submitted to the
"American Journal of Physics" on 24 April 2004, but rejected by an
editor who evidently believed a referee who erroneously claimed that
ARONS DID NO PHYSICS EDUCATION RESEARCH ! (did ethnographer Margaret
Mead <http://bit.ly/eSQat5> do no anthropological research?); online
as a 144 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/boeQQt>. Regarding this
manuscript, science education experts:

.

(a) Uri Ganiel <http://bit.ly/diSCGX> wrote to me on 6 Feb 2005:"I
have by now read your paper: 'The Arons-Advocated Method' and found
it very instructive. I fully agree with your assessment that Arons
was "... along with Robert Karplus one of the founding fathers of
U.S. Physics Education Research...". I cannot understand the
referee's objection. . . . . The argument of the referee that you
quote: ' ...his activities did not constitute systematic
investigations...' make me suspect it is someone from the
'educational' community, with their typical insistence on
'methodologies' taken from psychology or the social sciences, rather
than on a good understanding of subject matter, identification of
foci of difficulty, combined with sensible pedagogy - that was what
Arons was so good at."

.

(b) Anton Lawson <http://bit.ly/hBRhjb> wrote to me on 29 June 2009:
"I liked it. . . . .great job!!"

.

But what do Ganiel and Lawson know compared with the profound
understanding of the AJP referee??

.

************************************

.

Hake, R.R. 2007a. "The Socratic Method of the Historical Socrates,
Plato's Socrates, and the Law School Socrates," online on the OPEN!
AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/i4GWHz>. Post of 21 June to
AERA-L. The abstract and link to the complete post were transmitted
to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff"
at <http://bit.ly/hb8kKD> with provision for comments.

.

Hake, R.R. 2007b. "Re: The Swinging Bucket Problem," online on the
PhysLrnR archives at <http://bit.ly/oMjZJi>. Post of 21 Sep 2007
15:38:07-0700 to AP-Physics, Physhare, Phys-L, and PhysLrnR.

.

Hake, R.R. 2008a. "Re: Building Research into the Curriculum:
Effective Introductory Lab Courses," PhysLrnR post of 15 Jun 2008
16:03:59-0700; online at <http://bit.ly/pfycjI>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2008b. "Design-Based Research in Physics Education
Research: A Review," in Kelly, Lesh, & Baek (2008)]. A
pre-publication version of that chapter is online as a 1.1 MB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/9kORMZ>. Primarily concerned with SDI Labs.

.

Hake, R.R. 2010a. "Education Research Employing Operational
Definitions Can Enhance the Teaching Art," invited talk, Portland,
OR, AAPT meeting, 19 July; online as a 3.8 MB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/aGlkjm> and as ref. 60 at
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2011. "Platonic vs Socratic Methods (was '. . . .
Physicists Seek To Lose The Lecture As Teaching Tool' )," online on
the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/y4l2Eh>. Post of 10 Jan
2012 10:59:16-0800 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to
the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists
and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/wXfWse>.

Hake, R.R. 2012a. "Helping Students to Think Like Scientists in
Socratic Dialogue Inducing Labs," Phys. Teach. 50(1): 48-52; online
to subscribers at <http://bit.ly/wLy3En>. A version identical to the
Physics Teacher article except for (a) minor formatting changes, and
(b) the addition of a few *hot-linked* URL's is online as a 299 kB
pdf at <http://bit.ly/x5ruYF>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2012b. "Re: Should the History of Science Be Rated X?"
online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/MbTWue>. Post
of 9 Jul 2012 13:37:53 -0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and
link to the complete post were transmitted to several discussion
lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at
<http://bit.ly/NclPUR> with a provision for comments. See also Hake
(2012c).

.

Hake, R.R. 2012c. "Should the History of Science Be Rated X?
ADDENDA,"online on the OPEN AERA-L archives at
<http://bit.ly/LVI5Cf>. Post of 13 Jul 2012 13:51:41-0700 to AERA-L
and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were
transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog
"Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/NUe6LC> with a provision for
comments.

.

Hilborn, R.C., R.H. Howes, & K.S. Krane. 2003. "Strategic Programs
for Innovations in Undergraduate Physics: 2003. Project Report,"
online at <http://bit.ly/Lt3ZLF>.

.

Kelly, A.E., R.A. Lesh, & J.Y. Baek. 2008. "Handbook of Design
Research Methods in Education: Innovations in Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Mathematics Learning and Teaching," Routledge.
Publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/dkLabI>; Amazon.com
information at <http://amzn.to/gtRpbU>.

.

McCray, R.A., R.L. DeHaan, J.A. Schuck, eds. 2003.
"ImprovingUndergraduate Instruction in Science, Technology,
Engineering, andMathematics: Report of a Workshop," Committee on
Undergraduate STEM Instruction," National Research Council, National
Academy Press;
online at <http://bit.ly/y6cFAG>.

.

Meltzer, D.E. & R.K. Thornton. 2012. "Resource Letter ALIP-1:
Active-Learning Instruction in Physics," Am. J. Phys. 80: 478-496;
online as a 1.7 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/Lz6ctO>.

.

Mestre, J. 2003. Appendix I. "Physics Education Resources" pp. 56-64
of Hilborn et al. (2003); online as as cc kB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/NAfeFlMestre>. Mestre also ignores the ASU Modeling
Program <http://bit.ly/b1488v>.

.

Morse, R.A. 1994. "The Classic Method of Mrs. Socrates," Phys. Teach.
Also online to all as a 287 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/iT1ksI>, thanks
to the University of Colorado PER group.

.

Redish, E.F. 2003. "Teaching Physics With the Physics Suite" (TPWPS),
John Wiley, TPWPS is online at <http://bit.ly/gdE3Tu>. Note: (a) the
crucial correction of Fig. 5.2 and its caption on page 100; (b) the
passage on p. 146: "Students in [the Univ. of Washington] 'Tutorials'
work in groups of three to four with a wandering facilitator for
every 12 to 15 students. These facilitators check the students'
progress and ask leading questions in a SEMI-SOCRATIC [5]. . . .[[my
CAPS - here Redish's "semi-Socratic" means "Socratic"]]. . . .
dialog to help them work through difficulties in their own thinking."
Footnote #5 reads:" See Bob Morse's lovely little article 'The
Classic Method of Mrs. Socrates' to learn more about the difference
between a 'Socratic' and a 'semi-Socratic' dialog [Morse (1994)] .
.[[here Redish's "Socratic" means "Platonic"]]. . . ."

.

Sokoloff, D.R. & R.K. Thornton. 1997. "Using Interactive Lecture
Demonstrations to Create an Active Learning Environment," Phys.
Teach. 35(6): 340-347; online to subscribers at
<http://bit.ly/Pjh0MV..

.

Tobias S. & R.R. Hake. 1988. "Professors as physics students: What
can they teach us?" Am. J. Phys. 56(9): 786-794, online as a 1.1 MB
pdf at <http://bit.ly/eaqFzU>.

.

Uretsky, J.L. 1993. "Using 'Dialogue Labs' in a Community-College
Physics Course," Phys. Teach. 31(8): 478-481; online to subscribers
at <http://bit.ly/NyrUhh>.

.

Vlastos, G. 1990. Private communication to R.R. Hake, September
17:"Though Socrates was not engaged in physical inquiry, your program
.. .[SDI Labs]. . . is entirely in his spirit."

.

Vlastos, G. 1991. "Socrates, Ironist and Moral Philosopher."
Cambridge University Press, esp. Chap. 2, "Socrates contra Socrates
in Plato." Publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/MJLl2b>.
Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/AozL4K>, note the
searchable "Look Inside" feature.

.

Vlastos, G. 1994. "Socratic Studies." Cambridge University Press,
publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/LyRrXT>. Amazon.com
information at <http://amzn.to/wskHUa>, note the searchable "Look
Inside" feature.

.

Williams, L. 2012. "Re: Should the History of Science Be Rated X?"
probably soon to be online on the CLOSED! PERTG archives at
<http://bit.ly/Ls9Q3W>. Post of 17 Jul 2012 21:56:33 -0700 to PERTG.

.

.