[net-gold] Is Online Safety Creating a Problem in Dissemination of Great Projects

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Net-Gold <Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Grigsby <myarchives1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Net-Gold @ Nabble" <ml-node+3172864-337556105@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MediaMentor <mediamentor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Digital Divide Diversity MLS <mls-digitaldivide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 08:31:12 -0500 (EST)

.

We would like to hear from you . We have members of several groups who have queried , and asked for online resources and discussion. We have a digital equity facebook group and other resources to handle this duscussion. How can we best discuss this important topic? Please send your concerns, your best practices, your ideas to me at bbracey@xxxxxxx and I will compile them on the wiki. Or go to the DE Wiki and post away.

There is also a discussion on the Edutopia web site. Sage Advice It has already started. Just wanted to give you some choices. http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation-children-online-safety

Internet Blocking

In a recent workshop, many researchers who develop project for student use complained about not being able to be in touch with students based on schools blocking the Internet. This was a gathering of groups at the National Science Foundation's - National Science Board.

This is my response: to share two outstanding resources with teachers , students and community

I have been able to work with these two groups in advocacy I have attended a Wired Safety Event which was wonderful. I will post pictures of it on my Facebook site. But there are pictures for you to look at and see the type of project it is.

Bonnie Bracey Sutton, DIgital Equity Chair ISTE SITE Social Justice and Digital Equity Chair

WiredSafety, the world's largest Internet safety, help and education resource http://www.wiredsafety.org/

This is a very comprehensive site which can be of service to the educational community as well as the students, family and organizations in a community. You can actually ask for help on a problem on this site.

My Secure Cyberspace https://www.mysecurecyberspace.com/

Carnegie Mellon University's Information Networking Institute and CyLab have launched a new Web site, called MySecureCyberspace, aimed at providing Internet safety guidance. The Web site offers free tools, articles, and other resources about online safety, including an extensive encyclopedia of technology terms. A grant from the Verizon Foundation will provide support for creating and distributing safety information for students, teachers, and faculty in K-12 schools and colleges.

"Carnegie Mellon to offer internet safety resources" eSchool News, February 9, 2010 For further discussion of the problem this article

Organizing a Group? http://www.teenangels.org

Teenangels are a group of thirteen to eighteen year old volunteers that have been specially trained in all aspects of online safety, privacy and security. After completion of the required training, the Teenangels run unique programs in schools to spread the word about responsible and safe surfing to other teens and younger kids, parents, and teachers.

They write columns for Web sites and become expert public speakers and researchers. They work with companies like Disney, Microsoft and AOL and are trained by law enforcement agencies; their tuition includes experience in making presentations to groups of students in schools and/or at community events.

Teenangels have even been to the House of Representatives in Washington D.C., for the WiredKids Summit, where they presented their research to a powerful and influential audience.

Note the clickable links on the web site for participation.

Teenangels Scrapbook:

A record of Teenangels activities featuring cool things that they do, their articles on a broad range of online topics, an exciting gallery of photographs and a range of tips and tools that they have written and/or created themselves.

http://www.teenangels.org/scrapbook/index.html

Bonnie Bracey Sutton
Outreach GLEF.org
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/bbracey
My communities
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/summitforchildren
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/gendergap
CyberEd Resources : ICT's and Education (owner)
Games and Education (owner)
Science without Frontiers STEM Initiatives K-12 (owner)
http://www.digitaldivide.net/blog/bbracey
Portal Work
http://edreform.net/
Technology Applications for learning in the portal
applications.edreform.net
Technology Applications for Learning
The Technology Applications for
Learning Network is a catalog of technology
applications for learning.
http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/STEM

.