[net-gold] Re: Growing Inequalities

  • From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Other Net-Gold Lists -- Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Educator Gold <Educator-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K-12ADMINLIFE <K12ADMIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, K12AdminLIFE <K12AdminLIFE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NetGold <netgold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Platinum <net-platinum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Net-Gold <NetGold_general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple Gold Discussion Group <TEMPLE-GOLD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Temple University Net-Gold Archive <net-gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Lists -- Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports Tourism <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Health Diet Fitness Recreation Sports <healthrecsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HEALTH-RECREATION-SPORTS-TOURISM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 16:29:45 -0400 (EDT)

.

Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:50:17 -0700
From: Richard Hake <rrhake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AERA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Net-Gold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Net-Gold] Re: Growing Inequalities

.

If you reply to this long (9 kB) post please don't hit the reply
button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your
reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already
archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

.

.

ABSTRACT: H.G. Callaway, in his Dewey-L post "Growing Inequalities,"
pointed to "The Great Divergence" (Smith, 2012) at
<http://bit.ly/KdKesH>]. Smith wrote: "Timothy Noah (2012) writes in
his essential new book "The Great Divergence" <http://bit.ly/Kgex2i>,
the US has a level of inequality greater than found in Nicaragua,
Guyana, or Venezuela, nations that most Americans would be ashamed to
consider competitors. How did this happen? How did America end up
with Third World levels of inequality?"

.

What all this got to do with John Dewey? I think Dewey would be
appalled by "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's
Educational Achievement" (Hake, 2011b) at <http://bit.ly/tUU65W> that
currently plagues the U.S.

.

.

H.G. Callaway (2012), in his Dewey-L post "Growing Inequalities,"
pointed to "The Great Divergence" [Smith (2012)]. Smith wrote:

.

"For decades in the 20th century, the level of economic inequality in
the United States was higher than that found in other Western
democracies. Even so, it was on the same spectrum, and displayed
greater economic mobility as well, with individuals moving between
classes with impressive speed. Now, as Timothy Noah (2012) writes in
his essential new book "The Great Divergence," the US has a level of
inequality greater than found in Nicaragua, Guyana, or Venezuela,
nations that most Americans would be ashamed to consider competitors.
How did this happen? How did America end up with Third World levels
of inequality? Noah, a journalist at The New Republic and formerly
with Slate, synthesizes the work of economics, political scientists,
and sociologists to explain the process."

.

What's all this got to do with John Dewey? I think Dewey would be
appalled by "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's
Educational Achievement" [Hake (2011b)] that currently plagues the
U.S.

.

For discussions of the effect of income inequality and poverty on
education in the U.S. see e.g., Berliner (2005, 2009), Duncan &
Munane (2011), Ladd & Fiske (2011), and Marder (2011a,b).

.

.

.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
Academia: <http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/#!/rrhake>

.

.

.

". . .let's not pretend that family background does not matter and
can be overlooked. Let's agree that we know a lot about how to
address the ways in which poverty undermines student learning.
Whether we choose to face up to that reality is ultimately a moral
question."
- Helen F. Ladd & Edward B. Fiske (2011)

.

.

.

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on
23 May 2012.]

.

.

.

Berliner, D.C. 2005. "Our Impoverished View of Educational Reform,"
Teachers College Record, August 02, free online as an 872 kB pdf at
<http://bit.ly/ff8BVj>. Berliner argues that: "poverty places severe
limits on what can be accomplished through school reform efforts,
particularly those associated with the federal No Child Left Behind
law. The data presented in this study suggest that the most powerful
policy for improving our nations' school achievement is a reduction
in family and youth poverty."

.

Berliner, D.C. 2009. "Poverty and Potential: Out-of-School Factors
and School Success." Education and Public Interest Center (Univ. of
Colorado) and Education Policy Research Unit, (Arizona State
University); online as a 729 kB pdf at <http://bit.ly/fqiCUA>.

.

Callaway, H.G. 2012. "Growing Inequalities," online on the OPEN!
Dewey-L archives at <http://bit.ly/MnS43S>. Post of 02 May 2012
15:41:19-0400 to Dewey-L.

.

Duncan, G.J. & R. Murnane, eds. 2011. "Whither Opportunity? Rising
Inequality, Schools, and Children's Life Chances." Russell Sage
Foundation, publisher's information at <http://bit.ly/nCkmKv>.
Amazon.com information at <http://amzn.to/r3MrCh>

.

Hake, R.R. 2011a. "Re: Economic Inequality: The Real Cause of Urban
School Problems #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at
<http://bit.ly/ozuZEn>. Post of 11 Oct 2011 19:59:34-0700 to AERA-L
and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were
transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog
"Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/nOFgXx>.

.

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's
Educational Achievement" online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at
<http://bit.ly/tUU65W>. Post of 14 Dec 2011 09:56:02 -0800 to AERA-L
and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post were
transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog
"Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/tBZEY4> with a provision for
comments. See also Hake (2011a).

.

Ladd, H.E. & E.B. Fiske. 2011. "Class Matters. Why Won't We Admit
It?" New York Times Opinion Piece, 11 Dec.; online at
<http://nyti.ms/vx3nub>.

.

Marder, M. 2011a. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in
Mathematics: Poverty is a More Important Cause than Teacher Quality,"
to be submitted, online as a 3.3 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/fjUquC>.

.

Marder, M. 2011b. "Education and Poverty: Visualizations of World,
US, and State-level Educational Data," Prezi presentation, online at
<http://bit.ly/nYC6eF>.

.

Noah, T. 2012. "The Great Divergence." Bloomsbury Press, publisher's
information at <http://bit.ly/Kgex2i>. Amazon.com information at
<http://amzn.to/KLw98C>, note the searchable "Look Inside" feature.

.

Smith, J.M. 2012. "The Great Divergence: Economic equality has
slipped to an alarming low in the United States. In 'The Great
Divergence' Timothy Noah (2012) does an excellent job of telling us
how this happened - and why it matters," Christian Science Monitor,
30 April; online at <http://bit.ly/KdKesH>.

.

.