IN THIS ISSUE: 01. Online Crosswords 02. Online Red Eye Removal 03. Xtravo Explorer 04. Yauba 05. Perfect PDF Reader 06. Avira 07. Makeup Pho.To 08. Miro 09. Winmorph 10. Wet Floor Maker 11. Rattlebox 12. Autohotkey 13. NNT Blog01. ONLINE CROSSWORDS at http://www.onlinecrosswords.net/ gives you a choice of free crossword puzzles online each day or print them out if you wish.
02. ONLINE RED EYE REMOVAL at http://www.fixredeyes.com/ easily removes red eye from your images.
03. XTRAVO EXPLORER is a browser that features live search, instant go to, RSS feeds, page explorer, image grabbing, anti-phishing, fast loading, and more. It requires .NET Framework 2 but if you don't have it on your system you can download from the site along with the browser at http://www.jawoco.com/xtravo_explorer.html .
04. YAUBA at http://www.yauba.com/ is an anonymous search engine that lets you search the Internet safely and anonymously. While major search engines (e.g. Google, Yahoo) collect information on browsing habits of their users, Yauba ensures absolute privacy and doesn't collect any personally identifiable information visited Web sites, search history, IP address, physical location... etc.) on its users. All records are automatically deleted from their servers.
* * * *A hearty welcome to our newest readers who learned about NNT from Leo Notenboom's newsletter, "Ask Leo!" For other readers, if you aren't familiar with Leo's work, he takes on challenging questions such as "How do I get a new IP address?", "What's a browser cache, how do I 'clear' it, and why would I want to?", and "How should I share my home network with a visitor?" The questions are interesting and Leo's responses are even more so. It's a good read, and a free subscription is available at http://newsletter.ask-leo.com.
* * * *05. PERFECT PDF READER is an alternative for Adobe Reader and you can export pages from PDF files with different resolutions for images, fill forms, and save filled files. Download free at http://soft-xpansion.com/index.php?p=pdftech/pdfqr .
06. AVIRA AntiVir is a worthy contender in the list of free antivirus solutions. Download free at http://www.free-av.com/ .
* * * * *If you asked me what my top six favorite software programs are, I can assure you one of those would be the jv16 Power Tools. I've used this suite of tools since it was first developed in 2003 and
it's one of the first programs that go on a new computer when I make the transition. If you're not familiar with it, it sets up 27 main tools to clean your Windows Registry, uninstalls software without pesky orphan files remaining, optimizes Windows, improves privacy, recovers deleted files, automatically backs up its work, and lots more. It works with all supported Windows systems (yes, even Vista, both 32-bit and 64-bit!) Now, here's a dandy deal for you but only for a limited time: because you're savvy enough to read Neat Net Tricks, take 20% off the price of the latest jv16 Power Tools 2009 -- just $23.95 -- when you order through the NNT Store at http://www.neatnettricks.com/store. Now, if this is old news to you and you've been enjoying jv16 Power Tools and the slick way it makes your computer perform better, I have a deal for you, too. Order the upgrade to the 2009 version at 20% off as well -- just $5.50 -- if you have purchased an earlier version (2005-2008). To qualify for the upgrade, your order through the NNT store at http://www.neatnettricks.com/store will have to show the name and email address under which the earlier program was originally registered. I've discussed a little more about why I like this software at http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs065/1101458487892/archive/1102565696622.html . If you're still not convinced, see all the details including an informative seven-minute video at http://www.macecraft.com. Then, if don't believe this is one nifty program, there's a 30-day full-featured free trial available. And, of course, there's a guaranteed refund and 24/7 support (live chat and email). Now you're beginning to get the idea why this one is in my top six!
* * * * *07. MAKEUP PHO.TO at http://makeup.pho.to/ makes a person in your photo look like a model in a glossy magazine. Apply eye and skin makeup, whiten teeth, remove imperfections, and add a special touch to your photo with a dreamy soft focus effect. All enhancements are made automatically.
08. MIRO at http://www.getmiro.com/ is an open-source application allowing subscription, managing, and downloading of podcasts as well as searching major online video sharing sites such as Google and Yahoo. Compatible with Windows 98 and newer as well as Mac OSX 10.3 and newer, you can view over 6,000 free Internet TV shows through Miro.
* * * *The Neat Net Tricks PREMIUM issue dishes up a heaping helping of tips twice monthly that you won't find in this free issue. You can get an idea of what it's all about in the sample issue at the NNT Web site, http://www.neatnettricks.com . With more than a dozen tips, two-minute tekkie advice that values your time, a full-length timely article on computers and the Internet, and lots more with graphics and illustrations but no ads, it's a real deal for just 50 cents an issue and easy to order at http://www.neatnettricks.com/store . Give it a try, and if you don't think it's worth every penny, I'll gladly refund the entire subscription price of $12/year.
* * * *09. WINMORPH is a high performance morphing and warping software that works as a standard application and as a plug-in for various video editors. Download free at http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/ .
10. WET FLOOR MAKER. Add reflecting images to your photos at http://www.wetfloormaker.com/ .
11. RATTLEBOX at http://rattlebox.com/ lets you send and receive all occasion cards with a little different twist. The service is currently in Beta, which means free for now, and provides an assortment of video messages with acknowledgement by email that the card has been sent and when viewed by the recipient.
12. AUTOHOTKEY at http://www.autohotkey.com/ is a free open-source utility to automate almost anything with keystrokes and mouse clicks. Write a mouse or keybaord macro; create hotkeys; expand abbreviations; create custom data-entry forms, user interfaces, and menu bars; remap keys and buttoms; and, more.
13. NNT BLOG. Join me at http://neatnettricks-jteems.blogspot.com/ where we discuss all manners of computer and Internet tips and other related and not-so-related stuff.
* * * *I often receive email from subscribers asking about an item featured in one of the previous issues. Unfortunately, there's no index of everything published (and that would be a humongous effort in over 400 issues and a guess-timated million words). Equally unfortunate, my memory may have dimmed a bit so my Research Department-Of-One is rather ineffective. But there's a little trick that sometimes saves the day. Searching the archives on a keyword or two will often reveal the desired item. Of course, it helps to have the handy archives on CD, and it's available at http://www.neatnettricks.com/store .
* * * *
===============Neat Net Tricks is copyrighted, 2009, all rights reserved. You may quote or forward copies of this email with credit to "Neat Net Tricks, http://www.NeatNetTricks.com ". Neat Net Tricks is registered with the U.S. Library of Congress, ISSN: 1553-4619. There is no cost to subscribe. To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit: http://www.neatnettricks.com/subscribe .