[neact] opportunity for input from teachers and organizations

  • From: "Judith Kelley" <judith.kelley2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <neact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:03:55 -0400

I received the following from Marilyn Richardson, current President of MAST
(Mass Association of Science Teachers)

Dear Association Director/President:

At the March, 2007 meeting, Commissioner Driscoll presented to the Board of
Education a proposed recommended high school core program of studies, called
MassCore. MassCore is one component in a comprehensive plan to increase high
school graduation and college-and career-readiness rates. It describes a
list of subject area credits, specific courses and other learning
opportunities students should complete in high school.  MassCore will also
serve as one criterion for the Certificate of Mastery. MassCore was
developed in collaboration between the Board of Higher Education and the
Department of Education.

The Commissioner has asked that I send the survey to professional education
and business and industry organizations inviting comments. Please take the
opportunity to forward the MassCore Survey link to your membership. The
survey results will be provided to the Board of Education later this spring
when they consider whether to approve this recommended program of studies.
The closing date for survey responses is May 25, 2007.

MassCore Survey:
<http://vessunapp3.doe.mass.edu/surveys/take.do?n=141640359>

Thank you

Stafford Peat