[neact] Re: MOOC

  • From: "carypq" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "carypq@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: neact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 20:14:00 -0400

Emily,
This is EXACTLY what I am working on at the University of New Hampshire --
retention of STEM freshmen by preventing failure in the gateway courses, mainly
chem but also algebra-based physics, precalc and calc.

1) Some high school chemistry courses are abysmal for many reasons, and
students who have "had chemistry" in high school are not really prepared for
college general chemistry.
2) Often the students who most need the prep-course as intro-to-chem, or as a
physical-science or quantitative-reasoning course, either online, before
gen-chem, or concurrent with it, do not know or understand that they need it,
nor the rigor of the upcoming gen-chem course. Therefore, they will not, of
their own volition, access such help.
That has certainly been my experience here at UNH.
3) Sometimes it is naivete, sometimes it is a reflection of poor organization
and study-habits, sometimes it is a reflection of the affective domain -- poor
attitude, over-confidence, many times it is insufficient advising!
4) What is needed is a diagnostic instrument that informs the student (and us)
of their lack of readiness, then distinct and defined barriers erected to
taking gen-chem until they have proven they are ready.

I am presently researching and locating as many such programs as are extant
from roughly 2000 and up, and finding out what kinds of permutations exist as
well as their perceived (or proven) efficacy.
This work stems from my Chem-Math Project, that looks specifically at the
mathematics part of this issue.
However, it cannot be viewed in isolation, so I am also seeking other aspects
of under-preparedness that are intertwined.

I shall look at your materials and get back to you.
I will also discuss this at our NEACT Summer Conference Day Monday.
And there maybe some feedback from the folks at West Virginia University up
above with whom I have been discussing this (their Chem 110A & B courses).
Have you contacted the folks at the AACT yet?
Best,
Dr. W. Cary Kilner
Chemistry Education Research
UNH