[neact] Green Chemistry Lecture

  • From: Jerusha Vogel <jj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: neact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 21:46:17 -0400

*2015–16* *Green Chemistry Lecture, September 21, 2015*

*Richard Engler, Bergeson & Campbell PC, Washington, DC*

*"Can Green Chemistry Solve the Problem of Marine Debris?"*

Green chemistry, the considered design of chemical products and processes,
has helped reduce the negative impacts of our modern society. It has
improved the material and energy efficiency of chemistry and it has reduced
the hazard of what we still use. Marine debris (trash in the oceans) has
garnered significant attention in the past 5-10 years with vivid images of
ecosystem damage. Can green chemistry be brought to bear to help? After an
introduction to green chemistry and marine debris, we will discuss the
possibilities and limitations of developing new green chemistry
technologies to help.
Rich Engler is a Senior Chemist with Bergeson & Campbell, P.C. (B&C®) and
The Acta Group (Acta®). Before joining B&C this year, he worked at U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for 17 years, where he was a senior
staff chemist in the Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics. At EPA he
reviewed numerous chemicals under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA),
led the Green Chemistry Program, including the Presidential Green Chemistry
Challenge, and worked on a variety of other projects, including the
Risk-Screening Environmental Indicators, Marine Debris and Trash-Free
Waters, and cheminformatics.

Prior to joining EPA, Rich taught organic chemistry at the University of
San Diego. He holds a Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry from UCSD.

Gordon College, Jenks 237
(note that this is not the normal auditorium you may have attended in the
past)
Light refreshments at 4:00-4:30 PM
Lecture 4:30-5:30 PM

For More information, contact Irv Levy