[neact] Chem-Math at the BCCE 2012

  • From: carypq <carypq@xxxxxxx>
  • To: neact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:59:10 -0500 (EST)

Dear NEACT folks,
    Please consider attending BCCE 2012 at Penn State this summer.
And if so, please consider presenting a talk in my symposium as described below:

BCCE 2012
Symposium Title: TheRole of Mathematics in Teaching and Learning Chemistry

    Chemistryis an inherently quantitative science. For our more
mathematically-adeptstudents, such fluency sometimes results in chemistry
calculations andproblem-solving being performed without a full conceptual
understanding. Forour more mathematically-challenged students, a lack of
fluency can present anunfortunate obstacle to a meaningful major and productive
career in thelife-sciences.

    What mathematics must students understand and be able to do tosucceed in
college-preparatory and general chemistry? What mathematics shouldwe expect
them to bring to our courses? What part of mathematics instructioncan we take
responsibility for to ensure students' success without detractingfrom our
primary mission, the chemistry content itself? What about upper-levelcourses?
Should we use a mathematics diagnostic for physical chemistry toensure that
students are ready for its quantitative rigor? Is the mathematicsthat students
learn in their math classes the same mathematics that they willneed to use in
your classes? How can mathematics education research assist usin understanding
how to address the mathematical issues that our studentsencounter in our
courses?

    These are some possibly relevant questions we shouldbe asking. Are there
others? Please join in the discussion of this veryimportant topic.

Thank you!
W. Cary Kilner
Chemistry Education Research
University of New Hampshire