[USS Vanguard] OoC: Proposed Changes/Web Site Updates

  • From: "Andy W. Ho" <andywoho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS-Vanguard <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:18:28 -0800 (PST)

Hello, all.

So far, we have joint-post segments from Mark, Jonathon and myself.
It's in Chris's hands now, the last I heard.

I wanted to address a few issues that have been on my mind, and of
which I was reminded due to a recent email by Alexa to the Gamma Fleet
CO's.

First of all, let me thank you all again for hanging in there with me.
It wouldn't be much of a simulation without you, and I know that you've
taken a leap of faith with me/us again and again. From the bottom of my
heart, thank you. I know I've said it before, but I don't think I can
say it enough.

It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that despite all my best
efforts, my best intentions, I've had a hard time keeping up with the
sim and especially with posting. It's not because I don't have fun with
it. On the contrary. But my life is so very different now than it was
when I started the Astoria three(!) years ago. Mostly, work takes up
the bulk of my time.

So is this goodbye? HELL NO! :)

Instead of giving up on the idea of simming and therefore giving up on
the idea of all of you, I've decided to devote at least two lunch hours
every workweek to writing posts, sending email about Vanguard issues,
updating the Web site, that sort of thing.

The first level of updates can now be seen at:

http://ncv80221.netfirms.com/default.htm

You'll notice cosmetic changes along with bigger updates, such as the
"recruitment" image created by Chris that now sits at the bottom of the
front page.

The Vanguard's image has also been updated, thanks AGAIN to Chris for
his diligence. The Vanguard is the gunmetal gray consistent with its
description, rather than the gray-green as it appears in the
Wells-class watercolor painting I'd been using.

And I love it! If you do, too, send an email to Chris (or to Chris,
care of the entire list, and express your appreciation!)

Under References, you'll also notice that the Shuttlecraft information,
once and for all, has been updated, due again to Chris.

Not all of the changes have been cosmetic. From here on, I'd like to
propose a slight change of direction for the missions we'll be
undertaking.

From the feedback that I've gathered as well as just intuition and
studying the status of the simulation, I've come to the conclusion that
I'm helping run missions that are too complicated or that quickly
become too complicated.

My goal is to begin establishing missions that anyone, at any time, can
simply pick up by reading the latest post and understanding what is
going on.

I hope this will encourage more posting, as well as do away with some
of the huge, sprawling, multi-threaded, convoluted missions that I've
helped spawn.

Don't get me wrong. I've liked all the missions that have occurred,
each and every one of them. And whenever I go back and read the posts
for those missions--which is more often than you think--I get a great,
big smile.

It's just that I think the temporal missions (keeping track of the time
period) as well as all the NPC's I have a tendency to introduce, bogs
the whole process down.

I went back and thought about the missions I enjoyed so much on the
Falcon, and I noticed a difference between theirs and ours: all
characters in one place, or split into only two groups, one time
period, one locale, one major story arc. Perhaps that's the formula for
successful participation.

Do I like the complicated storylines? Of course I do. I don't think we
could have done that format for so long if the people in this group
weren't capable of it.

But if we don't change, we grow stagnant. And if we grow stagnant, we
could perish. I don't want that. I hope you don't, either.

For the next mission, I'm going back to our roots, the roots of Star
Trek:

The Tomonaga, which is the first line in the ships of Vanguard's class,
has appeared derelict in Federation space. Systems off-line, no

The Vangurd will be dispatched to investigate and deal with the
Tomonaga.

What do we find on board?

That's for us all to decide together. I hope you'll join me in building
the mission.

That's right--no set rules, no set endings, no set SET-UPs, period.
Just one mission, one story, passed hand-to-hand, allowing you all to
use your imagination and cooperate with each other all over again. I
hope it will give you a chance to use your characters' talents, too.

As for joint posting, I think it's a great idea. I love joint posting.
From now on, I'll stipulate that joint-posting should be between two
people--maybe three at the most--and should just be picked up as part
of the process and then submitted. In this way, it won't put a
screeching halt to posting.

No offense on anyone. These are things that I should have addressed
sooner.

Again, all the typical rules still apply. Spell and grammar check your
posts. Try to write a minimum of two paragraphs, or the time it takes
to read five or ten minutes' worth of adventure. Leave your post open
for the next player.

But most of all, HAVE FUN and be kind to each other.

That has, and always will be, the cardinal rule on the Vanguard.

I hope you'll join me in making this next step for the Vanguard a
reality.

Because, as always, I can't do it without you, and wouldn't want to.

Best regards,

Andy Ho
Fleet Capt. Dominic Santos

http://taxes.yahoo.com/