[ncsc-moths] photos of a Giant Leopard Moth (on Morus rubra)

  • From: Nate Dias <offshorebirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 09:17:45 -0400

I rescued a Giant Leopard Moth from a busy shopping center at midday
yesterday and took it to sanctuary nearby.  I released it on a
Lonicera sempervirens vine next to a Morus rubra - one host plant next
to another.

I went back later in the afternoon with a DSLR and got some photos of
the stunning creature on the Red Mulberry:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2/

I would have liked to get some photos showing its abdomen, but that
would have required molesting it too much...

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC