[ncsc-moths] Watauga County, NC moths--21 Sept 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:41:06 -0400

I'm seeing more species diversity and numbers with the milder nights this
week (only dipped to 60 last night) but new species for the season has
slowed to an average of about 2/night.  Interestingly, the proportion of
lifers to FOY species continues to be about 1 in 3 which it has been all
season.  Papaipemas continue to delight with up to 3 species coming to my
lights nightly.  Pale Beauty (Campaea perlata) and Scoparia
biplagialis/basalis are numerically the most abundant moths now.  Last night
I had a lifer underwing, Yellow-banded (Catocala cerogama) and a FOY Dingy
Cutworm Moth (Feltia jaculifera).

The first day of fall is only 2 days away and the average date of the first
frost is just a little more than 2 weeks away so it won't be long before the
season is over for me.  Hard to believe its coming to an end pretty soon but
its been a blast this year!

8802 Catocala cerogama (Yellow-banded Underwing)--LIFER--a distinctive
species that has a single yellow band on the hindwing (I captured this one
to check the underwing just to be sure); larvae feed on American basswood
(Tilia americana).  My 15th Catocala for the year.
10670 Feltia jaculifera (Dingy Cutworm Moth)--FOY

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm