[ncsc-moths] Re: Watauga County Moths--26 Sept 2011

  • From: Jackie Nelson <ephemeropterae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:36:30 -0400

No Tollypes yet, Merrill.  Still mostly Darts and Cutworms, one of
the Grapevine Loopers, a couple Chickweed Geometers, one of the emeralds and
a couple intriguing (new for me) moths yet to be processed.

It rained 7-1/2 inches Saturday night in Todd (according to Rivergirl,
Kelly), and has been raining or misting almost continuously for days now
here in Ashe County.  It does not appear to be affecting moths, that I know
of.  Was happy to see a good number of moths last night, although variety is
down, as expected.
Hope the rains didn't affect you adversely.  Kelly is in your county and she
said the water rose to the bank and loosed many of her rental tubes and
watersports equipment, but all was recovered with assistance from the
community.

Photos:
--Snapshot of one of two bulbs by the front porch (forgot to turn the UV
fluorescent bulb on at the sheet)  (the spiders took over during our
abscence, sorry about the mess)

-- A new moth for me last night.  Don't really know where to start looking.
Help appreciated.

-- Lifer 4647– Megalopyge opercularis– Southern Flannel Moth picked
up during a recent vacation in S. Florida.  (The other two lifers:  5069–
Pyrausta tyralis– Coffee-loving Pyrausta Moth,  and 5170– Spoladea
recurvalis– Hawaiian Beet Webworm Moth, plus a Plume moth)

Jackie
NW N.Carolina/ S. Appalachians

--

<")