[ncsc-moths] Watauga County Moths--25 Sept 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:58:27 -0400

Another extremely interesting weekend at the sheets.  Thanks to Bob
Patterson and others, the unknown micro I posted on Friday now has a name:
0843 Porphyrosella desmodiella.  I also had 4 additional FOY including 3
lifers.

2776 Olethreutes furfuranum (Wooly-backed Moth)--LIFER--reported larval host
plant is Rubus (blackberry)
3351 Epinotia lindana (Diamondback Epinotia)--LIFER--reported larval host
plant is Cornus (dogwood)
7333 Stamnodes gibbicostata (Shiny Gray Carpet)--LIFER--I noticed this geo
fluttering around on the porch last night and immediately recognized it as
something I'd never seen before.  It has a very distinct curved white bar on
the costa that fades out towards the median portion of the forewing.  This
species is only shown on the specimen page of MPG and the genus is western
in distribution with this species range listed as mid-western on BugGuide.
However, it has been reported from Great Smoky Mountains NP but apparently
is not well known and I must be at the extreme eastern edge of the range.
Interesting moth!!
10651 Agrotis venerabilis (Dusky Cutworm Moth)--FOY

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm