[ncsc-moths] Re: Spring Oak Leafroller Moth?

  • From: TNT Sanders <tsanders1993@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:18:09 -0400

Thanks Hugh, I didn't even know this existed.  I downloaded the database from
Wedge Entomological and C. continuella has only been reported from the far
north.
C. formosella does have some NC records but all from the mountains.
C. obscurusella which Bob Perkins suggested only has one record, also from the
mountains.

After looking at C. obscurusella, I am leaning toward this but may have to look
a bit more now that I have this new database.
There are only 18109 records so it shouldn't take too long ;).

Thanks guys,

Tom Sanders
Charlotte, NC

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 10:46:50 -0400
Subject: [ncsc-moths] Re: Spring Oak Leafroller Moth?
From: hdmcguinness@xxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you are going to try to ID Chionodes from photos, then you should make sure
that you have a copy of the MONA fascicle 7.6 since it will allow you to make a
list of all the possible species in your area and also provides diagnoses,
photos (often of the type) and phenology data. It is expensive ($115), but then
again Ron probably spent 5-10 years working on it. You can also download the
data from the fascicle at the Wedge Entomological website, which includes
18000+ records and would provide a preliminary list for your area.

Hugh

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM, TNT Sanders <tsanders1993@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm calling this 2069 - Chionodes continuella (Spring Oak Leafroller Moth) but
it could be 2077 - C. formosella.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom Sanders