[ncsc-moths] SCARLET-BODIED WASP MOTH - Charleston, SC

  • From: Nathan Dias <diasn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:27:11 -0700 (PDT)

Day before yesterday, at 5:30pm, I noticed a very colorful bug messing around
the flowers of an African Blue Basil plant at my mother's place (AKA Rancho
Dias) on the western edge of Charleston, SC.   At first I thought it was a
nectar-feeding wasp of some kind, but upon closer inspection it became apparent
it was a very unusual moth!

After nectaring for 10+ minutes, it flew into a Turk's-cap Hibiscus
(malvaviscus arboreus) and perched out of view on the underside of a leaf.   It
stayed there for some time until I gave up, figuring it was roosting for some
time (if not all night?)

Despite the late hour and cloudy conditions, I managed a few clear photos of it
- turned out to be a Scarlet-bodied Wasp Moth!

Photos here (click for larger images):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2/

This is the second-rarest moth ever recorded at Rancho Dias!

The rarest of all time was this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carolinabugpics/4937294101/lightbox/

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC