[ncsc-moths] Re: Plume moth ID

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 07:32:04 -0500

Paul,

I've been trying to figure out the plumes but they are one of, if not the
most, difficult families to identify to species.  I'd say your guess of
Adaina is a good one but your moth is also  a close match with Pselnophorus
belfragei, see here:
http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=6154.  The
range according to MPG is SC to FL west to TX, however.

Experts say most members of this family cannot be reliably identified except
by genitalic dissection.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch