[ncsc-moths] Moth update

  • From: "Harry Wilson" <harrywilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:39:53 -0400

Fellow Moth-ers,

I have been going through some of this year's photos and I found the attached
photo that I took on April 5. After studying the emerlds page on MPG it appears
to me tht this is Chlorochlamys appellaria, 7073. Bug Guide indicates that
there are records of the moth from Arizona, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah. I have
found that many of the Oklahoma moths have also been seen here, but I never
assume that the link usually exists. As always I am very cautious when my
identification departs from range information that other sources provide. I had
reported nother tentative ID recently for a moth that is in Arizona (don't have
tht emil handy -- am using laptop, not desktop where that email resides) and
Steve Hall told me it was a Porcelain Gray. Any thoughts on this one?

I have also had these moths recently:
Lesser Grapevine Looper, 7196 (and possibly Greater as well)
Bilobed Looper, 8907
Groundsel Plume Moth, 6210
Mimosa Webworm Moth, 2353 (neighbor has the very invasive Mimosa tree, will
point moth to it!)
Common  Lytrosis, 6720
Red-washed Caterpillar Moth, 8010
Olive Angle Shades, 9546
Ochre Dagger Moth,9546
Plebeian Sphinx, 7793 (caught in flight and ID was a challenge)
Mournful Sphinx, 7851

Harry Wilson
Zebulon, NC