[ncsc-moths] Moth Blitz in Watauga County

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:11:13 -0400

Carolina moth-ers,

Not to outdo Parker, but I had a very productive weekend at my place in
Watauga County as well.  I think the high humidity and the new moon were the
two reasons mothing was so good.  Bo Sullivan and I had a grand total of 126
species of macros at my place between Friday night and Sunday night!  In
addition to my standard sheet setup, Bo brought 4 light traps which we
placed at various places on my property on Saturday night.  I'm still
sorting through micros but probably had at least another 20 species of
those.

Highlights:

#6235 Habrosyne scripta (Lettered Habrosyne); a beautiful moth

#6840 Plagodis serinaria and #6841 Plagodis kuetzingi (Lemon and Purple
Plagodis); beautiful geometers that rival rosy maple moths in color

three Zales (Z. minerea, Z. unilineata, and Z. lunata)

#8970 Baileya ophthalmica (Eyed Baileya)

both yellowhorns:  Colocasia flavicornis and C. propinquilinea (#9184 and
#9185)

six species of dagger moths (Acronicta) and 52 species of geometrids!

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm