[ncsc-moths] Idioglossa miraculosa 1072 in Watauga County--9 September 2011

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:24:22 -0400

I decided to post this observation because it illustrates the great
satisfaction that comes when one finally figures out a difficult moth.  I
was only able to get a single, poor photo of this moth back on Sept. 9th.  I
thought it was odd how it posed with its forewings spread at an angle
revealing the underwings.  I knew it had to be in one of the primitive micro
families but after a pass through MPG I gave up and focused on other id's.
Today during my lunch hour, I was scrolling through my unknown folder and
came across the image.  I decided to give it another try and BINGO there it
was--Idioglossa miraculosa--it was so obvious when I saw the MPG image I
wondered how I could have possibly missed it the first time.

Its a cool little moth in a small family, Batrachedridae, and the larvae
feed on a single species of grass, deer-tongue grass (Dicanthelium
clandestinum).  According to microleps (see here:
http://www.microleps.org/Guide/Batrachedridae/index.html), the adult is
unusual in both its coloration, being yellow with metallic fasciae on the
hind wings only (the only microlep species to feature this), and also for
its very distinctive resting posture in which the wings are held partially
spread at a characteristic angle.

Now, if I could only be so lucky with all the others in my unknown pile!

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm