[ncsc-moths] FW: Conway, SC moths

  • From: "Ali Iyoob" <Aliiyoob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 19:46:47 -0400

From Gary Phillips, thought it should go here too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Phillips [mailto:carolinensis@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 1:26 AM
To: carolinaleps
Subject: Conway, SC moths

hi y'all,

a few moth species ID'd 'round the confines of late:

Forest Tent Caterpillar Moth (Malacosoma disstria) - super abundant.
Large Maple Spanwaorm (Prochoerodes lineola)
Lesser Maple Spanworm (Speranza pustularia)
Curved-tooth Geometer (Eutrapela clemataria)
Promiscuous Angle (Macaria promiscuata)
Common Pink-band (Ogdoconta cinereola)
Yellow-fringed Dolichomia (Dolichomia olinalis)
Yellow-spotted Webworm (Anageshna primordialis)
Yellow-striped Armyworm (Spodoptera ornithogalli)
Black Bit (Celiptera frustulum)
Grape Leaffolder (Desmia funeralis)
Lesser/Greater Grapevine Looper (Eulithis sp.)
Little Nymph Underwing (Catocala micronympha)
Live Oak Metria (Metria amella)
Yellow-based Tussock (Dasychira basiflava)
White-marked Tussock (Orgyia leucostigma)
Sycamore Tussock (Halysidota harrissi)*
Painted Lichen Moth (Hypoprepia fucosa)
Brown Panopoda (Panopoda carneicosta)
Discolored Renia (Renia discoloralis)
Common Idia (Idia aemula)
Giant Leopard (Hypercompe [=Ecpantheria] scribonia)
Porcelain Gray (Protoboarmia porcelaria)
Frilly Grass-tubeworm (Acrolophus mycetophagus)
Zanclognatha sp. (appears to be as yet un-named, known from FL, KY and SC)
Psilocorsis sp.
Iridopsis sp.
Mocis sp.
handful of as-yet unknowns.

*we've found H. harrissii cats here in Sept. '08, June '09, Sept. '09, never
seen Banded Tussock (H. tesselaris) cats here.

some of the local birds are cking out the deck at first light now, gleaning
breakfast from the wall near the light. presumably the male of a nesting
pair of Gray Catbirds fusses at me to get out of the way some mornings. he's
a master Malacosoma catcher. and for the 3rd yr, a (presumably) Cope's Gray
Treefrog occasionally joins me during my nocturnal endeavors. no nocturnal
butterflies or Odes yet this season. had a Fishfly (Chauliodes sp.) one
night, the first i've ever seen. lots of other stuff wanders in and out; a
few Crane flies, leafhoppers, Moth flies, 'possum, etc.

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC

"UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get
better. It's not." - The Lorax