[ncsc-moths] Buck Moths are flying

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 08:05:57 -0400

For those of you who are not on FB, I thought you might be interested
in the account I wrote of the buck moths (Hemileuca maia), Bob Perkins
and I found yesterday in Patrick Co., VA.

"All I can say is what an incredible day it was--WOW!!! Bob Perkins
and I were successful in our Buck Moth hunt today. We drove to Patrick
County, Virginia where Bucks had been reported in previous years and
at 12:25 pm saw our first buck while driving slowly down a wooded
lane. Shouts and high fives ensued. What an incredibly beautiful
moth!!! We parked and within minutes I had captured one in my
butterfly net. I'm really glad I brought the net because otherwise all
of our views would have been brief and distant. These moths were on
the move! We saw a total of 21 at our first stop and never saw one
land or even slow down. Fortunately, they were all flying fairly low,
5-15 feet off the ground. At a second stop a mile or so down the road
we saw another 10 in just 15 minutes. All were freshly emerged males.
I ended up catching 4 which we chilled down in the cooler for the
photo shoot. An absolutely beautiful fall day which neither of us will
ever forget! 25 October 2012 near Woolwine, Patrick County, VA."

Merrill Lynch
Watauga Co., NC

You have been sent 2 pictures.

P1150023.JPG